PDA

View Full Version : GU Unit of the Game-- USF - WCC SemiFinal - 3/6/11

RenoZag
03-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Nail biting, heart-burning Maalox moment after Maalox Moment. . .

Who's your player of the game, folks ??

I'm voting for Mr. Carter. WCC Newcomer of the Year !!

No poll tonight. . .going old school. . .discuss it in your posts

P.S. USF made the greatest strides from last year to this year. Walters and his team deserve big time applause for a great season. . .hope they get to represent the WCC in post-season play. And they have a great core group coming back. Do not ever take them lightly, Zag fans. They are the real deal.

ZagsObserver
03-06-2011, 08:56 PM
Gotta go with Carter - great confidence down the stretch, and he also played some point when the refs decided to dictate the game and Stockton and Meech each had 4.

zag944
Gotta be Carter

of course one could presume a terrific game for Stock and Meech if they couldve played

Zagdawg
Carter--no contest.

billyberu
I'm going with Marquise as well. He's clutch and doesn't turn the ball over. When it seemed like no one was making their shots he comes through with some clutch free throws.

Lurknomore
03-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Carter!

Ezag
03-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Carter

Stockton and Goodson played well despite their foul troubles

MedZag
03-06-2011, 08:58 PM
Stocks for the first half. But Mr. Carter was the reason we won the game.

JAGzag
03-06-2011, 08:58 PM
Where the hell has Gray gone the second half of his senior season? He can't buy a bucket!

Vote's for Carter.

adoptedzag
03-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Gonna go with Carter.

Bocco
03-06-2011, 09:00 PM
Another vote for Carter - tonite he showed why he was so deserving of the NOY. If not for him we don't tie St. Mary's for the league championship, and without him we're not playing tomorrow. Did a nice job at the point with Stocks and Meech in foul trouble in the second half.

northsidezagfan
MARMAR!!!!!!! Best clutch free throw shooter we have had in a long time. Hate to imagine where we would be without him.

Kong-Kool-Aid
Hart, for being clutch in key moments.

He changed the outlook of this game and Carter took over.

DixieZag
First = Carter

Second = The Ref that blew the fewest fouls

ZagNative
03-06-2011, 09:01 PM
Carter.

fedwayzag
03-06-2011, 09:03 PM
carter, not only for the free throws that won the game but also taking it to the hole all night long. We started to do it more in the second half and we finally got to the line. We need to be more aggressive taking it to the hole especially in WCC play. refs call everything when you are aggressive and going to the hoop.

allnet59
03-06-2011, 09:04 PM
Carter plays with no fear. Who is going to take the big shot looked like a hot potatoes the last three minutes. Thank god we made free throws

former1dog
03-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Carter!

+1

If anyone had a question as to why he was selected NOY, you should now have your answer.

gamagin
03-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Major Contributions

Monster CLutch

Magnificent Confidence

Birddog
03-06-2011, 09:07 PM
CARTER, but you gotta give a lot of credit to the Smurf and to Hart if only for the one play.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-06-2011, 09:07 PM
Carter did a lot of things really well, but he won the game during that long stretch when the team didn't have a true point guard on the floor by simply holding things together and not allowing USF to go on a long run. He gets my vote.

U Zig, I Zag
03-06-2011, 09:08 PM
Has to be Carter. The steals and the FTs at the end were what saved this team.

Oregonzagnut
03-06-2011, 09:10 PM
Carter and Chris Webber.

NotoriousZ
03-06-2011, 09:15 PM
First = Carter

Second = The Ref that blew the fewest fouls

That was painful. Thanks M.C. for getting us through that whistle-filled display of how not to call a game of basketball.

gamagin
03-06-2011, 09:16 PM
CARTER, but you gotta give a lot of credit to the Smurf and to Hart if only for the one play.

coupla crack heads are actually b!tching about Hart playing. thank gawd he was in there. He saved our sorry selves, changed the game in our favor, at least twice.

Santangelo has mentioned Hart half a dozen times in the post game show. and he added "what he did won't even show in the stats. Great game!"

bballbeachbum
03-06-2011, 09:17 PM
Marquise Carter

Rbo
03-06-2011, 09:18 PM
Carter and Chris Webber.

+1

U Zig, I Zag
03-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Haha... love the Webber reference.

It was a mistake, no doubt, but the announcers were acting like it was the end all be all of the game. What, 7.x seconds and the arrow was ours, correct? He can't get up with it and everyone is standing there - if they don't call the non-TO then we just jump on it, right?

misszigzag
03-06-2011, 09:23 PM
Carter-just so solid on both sides of the ball. Big contribution by hart tonight!

Birddog
03-06-2011, 09:24 PM
but the announcers were acting like it was the end all be all of the game.
Aw cmon, consider the source. two of the worst "B" team announcers we've had to endure via ESPN. I'd much prefer Homer and Jethro even with all their hick schticks.

FuManShoes
03-06-2011, 09:24 PM
Stockton first half, Carter and Hart second half. Nothing comes easy to this team but each of these guys stepped up, played within themselves and made big plays. This was a great gut-check win but I fear the Zags aren't long for this post season if Sacre and Gray don't start making some shots. These guys are too skilled to keep missing like this.

Bocco
03-06-2011, 09:30 PM
coupla crack heads are actually b!tching about Hart playing. thank gawd he was in there. He saved our sorry selves, changed the game in our favor, at least twice.

Santangelo has mentioned Hart half a dozen times in the post game show. and he added "what he did won't even show in the stats. Great game!"

Gam
Suspect the #####ers are not complaining about Hart playing but about one of there pets not playing ....Arop, MK, MM. Sometimes I think they would play the five (in there opinion) best offensive players and defense be damned.

zagray
Calm, cool, and collective! Really like Hart's heart plays too, it's contagious!

kitzbuel
Carter. He played well against two teams. Clutch play at the end and he survived the refs.

Hart gets a mention for his key defensive play!

Oregonzagnut
Haha... love the Webber reference.

It was a mistake, no doubt, but the announcers were acting like it was the end all be all of the game. What, 7.x seconds and the arrow was ours, correct? He can't get up with it and everyone is standing there - if they don't call the non-TO then we just jump on it, right?

The coaching staff had to make sure the team knew they had no timeouts. Even the bench was calling TO. Rex knew it the moment it happend.

If the team doesn't know they are out of time outs they cant surround the down player and get the ball. No one from USF came to him. They ALL thought they had a TO.

The coaches did not go over it during the final time out. That is on Walters. Its not the kids job to count all the statistics.

CarolinaZagFan
03-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Carter

I really hope Gray and Sacre can get rolling moving forward. We need them.

ZagsObserver
03-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Yeah, the announcers just kind of assumed that the coach had gone over the fact that they had no more timeouts during the previous timeout, but many of the players were signaling for a timeout, so I doubt very much that Walters had in fact gone over this during the previous timeout as the announcers suggested.

Oregonzagnut
03-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Carter

I really hope Gray and Sacre can get rolling moving forward. We need them.

We have no bread and butter. We have Stockton...... but no Malone.

Mantua
03-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Carter!

Honors to Stocks and Hart.

maynard g krebs
03-06-2011, 09:39 PM
Stockton first half, Carter second half.

MDABE80
03-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Carter on offense and Hart/Meech on defense. Few needs desparately find someone who can play good defense but is worthy of being guarded. Otherwise it's a 4 on 5 game. Just cannot work like that.

Steven.......pfffffffffffft. CDC what's the deal with his mechanics!??! Maybe he's just constantly distracted.

Reborn
03-06-2011, 09:45 PM
The refs totally took over that game (and im not one to say much about reffing, but this was just inexcusable to me. It was the worst basketball game I have ever watched. It really wasn't a basketball game after the refs took over. It was a foul shooting contest and we won.

This was not a basketball game but a foul shooting contest and Carter was 10-12 from the line and missed 0 in the last five mintues when the game was on the line. He gets my vote. And that steal at the end of the game was so awesome, man. He is one cool cucumger.

I also believe Stockton was a close second. His play was just incredible in the first half, and especially his D. I want to give huge shout outs to Stock, Carter, Hart and Meech for their terrific desire to not give up tonight. On a night that basketball skills were not required in order to win a game, you got to give credit to guys with a huge heart. These guys carried the Zags. Carter played because of his D and toughness. Like I said, offensive skill was NOT what was going to win this game. Hart was a huge player tonight in this kind of game.

MJ777
03-06-2011, 09:47 PM
Yeah, the announcers just kind of assumed that the coach had gone over the fact that they had no more timeouts during the previous timeout, but many of the players were signaling for a timeout, so I doubt very much that Walters had in fact gone over this during the previous timeout as the announcers suggested.

Blame the assistant coach who is supposed to track those things and remind the coach.

Carter with assists from Hart, Meech, Stockton and Sacre.

EH, you don't have to shoot that 3 ball just because you are open. Did USF make Dower go to his right tonight? I wasn't watching that closely. C'mon Steven, get hottttt! Go Zags, Beat the Gaels!

Oregonzagnut
03-06-2011, 09:47 PM
Hart was a huge player tonight in this kind of game.

His steal basically iced it.

Ziggy
03-06-2011, 09:59 PM
Carter.
Hart.
Who would have thought?

Baseline
03-06-2011, 10:12 PM
Carter was cool under under pressure!
Stock & Meech both looked good
Hart had a couple great moments.
Grays shooting is troublesome, he looks off balance shooting, I think his leg has him messed up.
Sacrae is falling back to old bad habits, holding the ball too long.

Negative reps to the refs!!!!

Go Zags!

2wiceright
03-06-2011, 10:28 PM
Quise is the very definition of clutch. David and Meech both added some great minutes. Was a little concerned with David Playing awesome most of the time but making big time turnovers at the end. He needs just one game to get over the hump in clutch time at the end of a game to boost his confidence (or possibly i'm asking too much from a freshman who is partly responsible for us going as far as we have this year!- he came out of nowhere and still surprises). Same questions about Steven MIA, and Sacre- seemingly without his intensity tonight. Finally, Dower either had a horrible night or coachs have found out how to stop him (taking away his "go left" moves). I hope it's the former!
P.S.- Awesome Clutch Defense and steals by Hart!!!
Pull it together Guys! Beat St. Mary's- I don't want to hear them bragging about beating us twice next year!!!

Mantua
03-06-2011, 10:52 PM
St Mary's doesn't have to brag when the ESPN announcers do it for them.

They reran the "Ode to St Mary's" twice during our very tense game tonight.

2wiceright
03-06-2011, 11:08 PM
St Mary's doesn't have to brag when the ESPN announcers do it for them.

They reran the "Ode to St Mary's" twice during our very tense game tonight.

Was it only twice? I guess that plus reruns of MM last shot to beat us at home 10x again tonight, neglecting to show Meech semi blocking his last shot (blowing a layin) and us beating them at home to set up the big game Mon. night! Love getting jobbed by the announcers during our own game...

Mantua
03-06-2011, 11:25 PM
OK, you caught me. I actually didn't count. I was already seeing red watching the atrocious calls and non-calls. It felt to me like the announcers were rubbing it in. One of them started to laugh when it looked like USF's confidence and momentum were going to carry the day for them. He quickly tried to appear to be amused by USF's moxie. I can hardly wait for more insults from them tomorrow night. Very unprofessional.

ZagsGoZags
03-06-2011, 11:25 PM
Carter

EuroZag2010
03-06-2011, 11:34 PM
Carter and Chris Webber.

Hahahahah that's awesome I agree !!

NewLookZag
03-06-2011, 11:39 PM
Marquise Carter.

jim77
03-06-2011, 11:56 PM
The Refs were terrible. I'm sure glad we have 3 pg's cause we needed all of them tonight. Marquise Carter may have saved the season...can you imgaine where we'd be If SF had moved on and UPSET ST. Mary's? We'd be looking at the NIT. Marquise Carter is the "ICE MAN".......props to David S and Mike Hart on some great hustle....HUGE WIN!

rijman
03-07-2011, 05:55 AM
Stockton provided a nice spark in the first half, but Carter was the man tonight.

bigblahla
03-07-2011, 06:35 AM
Stockton first half, Carter and Hart second half. Nothing comes easy to this team but each of these guys stepped up, played within themselves and made big plays. This was a great gut-check win but I fear the Zags aren't long for this post season if Sacre and Gray don't start making some shots. These guys are too skilled to keep missing like this.

Agree with Fu.

Stocks changed the game tempo in the first half and Carter and Hart saved our bacon in the second half.

Go!! Zags!!!

FrosTbear
03-07-2011, 06:36 AM
Welcome back carter...

ZagLawGrad
03-07-2011, 06:40 AM
Agree with Fu.

Stocks changed the game tempo in the first half and Carter and Hart saved our bacon in the second half.

Go!! Zags!!!

Carter's confidence is a thousand times what it was 3 months ago. Hopin' he lights it up tonite.

Meech was awesome. The guy just finds a way to compete. He may well be the difference against SMC.

DS still makes me nervous at times. That turnover that lead to the break away lay up at the end was really bad. And that bounce pass that lead to the timeout fiasco was really bad.

cjm720
03-07-2011, 07:08 AM
right when I thought it would be tough to come up with a G-Unit, Mr. Carter shines. Great game, great win. Go Zags!!!

Dirt McGirt
03-07-2011, 07:16 AM
I think Carter proved tonight why he is the WCC newcomer of the year.

Stockton should get an honorable mention.

gamagin
03-07-2011, 07:17 AM
Was it only twice? I guess that plus reruns of MM last shot to beat us at home 10x again tonight, neglecting to show Meech semi blocking his last shot (blowing a layin) and us beating them at home to set up the big game Mon. night! Love getting jobbed by the announcers during our own game...

every time I see "the shot" I wonder why RS doesn't learn to get in position, like between the basket and the shooter. Every time. The basket doesn't move, I scream into the television set every. single. game. the players do.