Does a difficult schedule do more harm than good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagsObserver
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2010

Does a difficult schedule do more harm than good?

Does a difficult schedule do more harm than good - and I say this purely from an at-large perspective. I think that a difficult schedule is a huge boost when trying to bring top recruits into the program, and the tv coverage opportunities are greater. However, look at 25-ranked George Mason. They have beaten nobody all year and, quite frankly, they really haven't played anyone. If GU played that schedule I have no doubt we would be ranked as well.

ESPN has the full 2023-24 George Mason Patriots Regular Season NCAAM schedule. Includes game times, TV listings and ticket information for all Patriots games.
  • ZagnetitForce
    Kennel Club
    • Feb 2007

115 sos

I guess GU has a 115 Strength of Schedule which just amazes me. Think how bad it would be if they didn't put together the schedule they did. I don't get it. ESPN had one of those conmpare three teams blind resume...that is where I got the 115.

Comment

• maynard g krebs
      Zag for Life
      • Sep 2009

No. A difficult schedule does more good that harm. Your post goes on to give the reasons why; no need to reiterate them.

Comment

• NovaZag
        Kennel Club Material
        • Nov 2009

It's baffling that George Mason is even in the discussion for an at-large spot. Their resume is a joke. But they'll probably get in over GU because people are enamored with computer numbers. Hopefully the committee will reward GU for challenging themselves, and beating quality opponents.

Comment

• Ezag
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

I hope we continue to schedule tough....I think in these years since we have been doing so, it has benefited us much more than not.

Comment

• Zagdawg
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Difficult schedule = better wins---- but you need to win the games when you have the opportunity to win.

Comment

• UberZagFan
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Well the numbers from realtimerpi.com say something different:

George Mason has 8 top 100 wins, 2 of which are Top 50. They have only two "bad" losses. GM SOS is 87.

GU has 5 top 100 wins, 1 of which is Top 50 (thank you Xavier!). GU also has two "bad" losses. GU SOS is 103.
              If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

Comment

• Oregonzagnut
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2011

Yes.

Either push the envelope and live by "If it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger". Or you live by public schools mantra. "No one gets left behind", and you dumb down the whole system.

Large win streaks with lesser opponents have the positive effects on the media, RPI and public opinion. So George Mason, played the W% game just fine.

If anyone should be wanting to pad his W% it would be Few. But he always does what is best for the current team and the future teams.

I will eat crow and say that I felt we hurt ourselves this year by scheduling too tough. But now I see that it has helped us to peak at the right time. I still believe that if we had 2-3 more wins and we didn't schedule horrible RPI 310 teams we would be even better. Looking good is nice. But actually being good is priceless.
                “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Comment

• MickMick
                  Zag for Life
                  • Apr 2007

Double edge sword.

Need some degree of RPI for seeding, but lately, Zags seem to be getting UNC, Syracuse, or a home game for Davidson regardless of seed positioning.

My problem is that the team has to peak early to deal with the schedule.
                  I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• Oregonzagnut
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2011

Bingo

Originally posted by MickMick View Post
                    Double edge sword.

Need some degree of RPI for seeding, but lately, Zags seem to be getting UNC, Syracuse, or a home game for Davidson regardless of seed positioning.

My problem is that the team has to peak early to deal with the schedule.
                    As fans we get so pumped about how good we are that we think the WCC should be a breeze. I should be. But any relaxation or mental time outs will leave any team exposed.

Fact: No matter how bad a team is, if they are focussed and determined, more 3 pointers are going to fall. No team should EVER let their guard down because of their opponents RPI or what the spread is.
                    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Comment

• MDABE80
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

It's not about rankings. It's about the development of the team's skills which wouldn't happen with a cupcake schedule.

Comment

• Reborn
                        Zag for Life
                        • Oct 2007

115th? Apparently they had a pretty poor schedule this year.

In terms of scheduling tough out of conference games, the Zags must do that because of a week WWC. Few feels it helps the team otherwise he wouldn't do it. I agree with him.
                        Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• Oregonzagnut
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2011

Totally agree.

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
                          115th? Apparently they had a pretty poor schedule this year.

In terms of scheduling tough out of conference games, the Zags must do that because of a week WWC. Few feels it helps the team otherwise he wouldn't do it. I agree with him.
                          It has proven to be true especially this year. It was all his plan from the start. Lose a few games, let our opponents think we are weak. Then pounce in the tournament.

Comment

• rijman
                            Zag for Life
                            • Nov 2009

A tough OOC schedule is a double edged sword, but the Zags must do it because of their weak conference. The Zags have not peaked when they play good teams early, but in some cases the opponents haven't either. Look at Michigan St on the road last season, the Zags almost got out of there with a win. The challenging early schedule toughens up the Zags, gets them ready for the NCAA's and how about their own WCC conference win streak? How much of that is attributable to the tough early schedule preparing them for the WCC?
                            It's not the size of the Bulldog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the Bulldog!

GO ZAGS!!!

Comment

• zagzilla
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

I've been surprised that our SOS was so low. It sure "felt" harder. The WCC is what it is, so be it. However our OOC choices seem to be really tough games X, ND, Marauette, SDSU or really soft like Southern, Eastern, CSB, Lafayette and Wake with sub-250 RPI. If we had 5 more wins in the mid 100's vs 250-300's our SOS would be better

Baylor, WSU and OK St let us down too.

Few says he "overdid it" this year with OOC but our non con OOC SOS is just 49

Comment

Working...
                              X