PDA

View Full Version : I think the Zags Need the extra rest

Reborn
03-04-2011, 05:56 AM
One reason that I think that Gonzaga has played so well in the second half of conference play is that Few has been resting the starters more this year. The Zags have a very good bench, and that has enabled Few to play them more and give the starters more rest. Last year I really believe that Matt and Steve were burnt out by the end of the season.

They also get a couple extra days this week to prepare for the conference tournament, and I think that this will help Steve and Rob, who appear to have nagging injuries. The extra time will also help Mark Few and his coaching staff prepare the Zags for their game on Sunday. Few and his staff are great coaches and they will have some new wrinkles, thats for sure. The Zags have always played well when they have had more time to prepare for games. I think we'll see that play out again this year.

ZagLawGrad
03-04-2011, 06:18 AM
Rest is a good thing. And no doubt the team is peaking instead of the downslide that seems to have hurt them at times in the past in March. I'm looking forward to seeing how they come out this weekend.

Rio Runner
03-04-2011, 07:07 AM
It sounds logical, but the numbers don't back it up.

We are 12-6 when we have 3 or more days of rest before a game.

We at 10-3 when we have 2 days or less.

So we should be in great shape for Monday's WCC Championship game after we beat USF on Sunday.

Reborn
03-04-2011, 06:03 PM
It sounds logical, but the numbers don't back it up.

We are 12-6 when we have 3 or more days of rest before a game.

We at 10-3 when we have 2 days or less.

So we should be in great shape for Monday's WCC Championship game after we beat USF on Sunday.

I don't suppose that the teams we played may have made a difference too?

JPtheBeasta
03-04-2011, 07:17 PM
After the craziness of the season, some of us probably needed a little rest, too.

Reborn
03-05-2011, 06:13 AM
After the craziness of the season, some of us probably needed a little rest, too.

:lmao::lmao::lmao: That was really funny......I like a good laugh in the morning. Thanks!

Rio Runner
03-05-2011, 12:25 PM
I don't suppose that the teams we played may have made a difference too?

To some extent, sure.

But the evidence does not support your earlier statement that "The Zags have always played well when they have had more time to prepare for games." We have been blown out twice -- against K-State (a likely NCAA Tournament team) and at WSU (an unlikely NCAA Tournament team). For each of those games, the Zags had at least 4 days to prepare. Our worst loss of the year was at Santa Clara. For that game the Zags had 5 days to prepare.

And some of our best wins were with very little rest -- e.g., Marquette, Baylor, and Oklahoma State.

In short, I think we are actually better with less rest. And that probably bodes well for us this time of year.

zagfan08
03-05-2011, 12:33 PM
Rest for the WCC tourney? Fine by me. The 10+ days off between the WCCs and the NCAAs? Not so good. Completely out of our control but something that historically doesn't help us at all. Can't be picky this year though, I'll take a tournament bid and run to the bank with it after the way this season looked a month ago.

Oregonzagnut
03-05-2011, 12:38 PM
We have been blown out twice -- against K-State (a likely NCAA Tournament team) and at WSU (an unlikely NCAA Tournament team). For each of those games, the Zags had at least 4 days to prepare. Our worst loss of the year was at Santa Clara. For that game the Zags had 5 days to prepare. In short, I think we are actually better with less rest. And that probably bodes well for us this time of year.

I agree with the evidence. It does point to momentum playing a role in our wins. But don't think rest wouldn't be a good thing to keep Sacre's wrist from turning season ending.

Fact is I agree that momentum is important and has helped many a cinderella in March, but there is no If-Then, hard and fast rule.

We lost to KSt and WSU because we weren't ready as a team not because of plenty rest and preparation. We had serious issues with chemistry, confidence, and point guard play.

My rule of thumb: If they need mental or emotional rest, it is bad. If they need to recover from injuries it is good. Too much rest is almost always bad in any sport. Use it or lose it.

Reborn
03-05-2011, 04:21 PM
This is the not the same team that the Zags were in November/December. Not even close. We shall see. My point was that because of injuries the Zags can use the rest, as well as, Few having more time to do more with his team. The Zags have always had a ten day rest before going into the NCAA tournament and it always seemed to help them. There have not been a lot of years when the Zags lost their first game in the tournament.