PDA

View Full Version : Oppopnent Watch: Baylor/OK State

FieldHouseFishHouse
03-01-2011, 01:00 PM
College Basketball, Bracketology and Zag Fans,
This is an intriguing match-up for several reasons. Both teams are just off the bubble, both are in the Big-12 and both lost to the Zags in the OOC.
I have noticed that Baylor gets quite a bit of face-time on ESPN and BubbleWatch etc, yet OK St. is virtually invisible as a bubble team, despite a better RPI.

Check out the numbers:
Baylor
- 17-10 (7-7 Big 12)
- RPI/SOS 75/51
- OOC wins - Lipscomb (120) Arizona St. (151), Texas Southern (159)
- Losses - Iowa St (137), Oklahoma (134), Texas Tech (159)

Oklahoma State
- 17-11 (5-9 Big 12)
- RPI/SOS 59/44
- OOC wins - Missouri St. (42), Alabama (88), Tulsa (92)
- Losses - Texas Tech (159), Nebraska (80), Colorado (77)

Baylor has more wins in the Big 12, but OK State arguable has better wins (K State and Missouri vs. sweeping A&M). OK State (for what it's worth) has better losses.

Who do fans of the Zag profile root for in this match-up? OK State can dive into the top-50 RPI if they beat Baylor and take care of business at Oklahoma. Baylor stays in the top-100 by winning, but needs to also beat Texas at home to sniff the top-50 or an at-large berth.
Baylor is also a road win for the Zags, which are at a premium come selection time.

Last question: Is keeping a .500 record in a BCS conference SOO important that Baylor gets by with that WEAK OOC schedule? Personally, I think OK State has a better profile regardless of all those Big-12 losses.

stretchlimo
03-01-2011, 01:46 PM
College Basketball, Bracketology and Zag Fans,
This is an intriguing match-up for several reasons. Both teams are just off the bubble, both are in the Big-12 and both lost to the Zags in the OOC.
I have noticed that Baylor gets quite a bit of face-time on ESPN and BubbleWatch etc, yet OK St. is virtually invisible as a bubble team, despite a better RPI.

Check out the numbers:
Baylor
- 17-10 (7-7 Big 12)
- RPI/SOS 75/51
- OOC wins - Lipscomb (120) Arizona St. (151), Texas Southern (159)
- Losses - Iowa St (137), Oklahoma (134), Texas Tech (159)

Oklahoma State
- 17-11 (5-9 Big 12)
- RPI/SOS 59/44
- OOC wins - Missouri St. (42), Alabama (88), Tulsa (92)
- Losses - Texas Tech (159), Nebraska (80), Colorado (77)

Baylor has more wins in the Big 12, but OK State arguable has better wins (K State and Missouri vs. sweeping A&M). OK State (for what it's worth) has better losses.

Who do fans of the Zag profile root for in this match-up? OK State can dive into the top-50 RPI if they beat Baylor and take care of business at Oklahoma. Baylor stays in the top-100 by winning, but needs to also beat Texas at home to sniff the top-50 or an at-large berth.
Baylor is also a road win for the Zags, which are at a premium come selection time.

Last question: Is keeping a .500 record in a BCS conference SOO important that Baylor gets by with that WEAK OOC schedule? Personally, I think OK State has a better profile regardless of all those Big-12 losses.

You make a lot of good points. I'm rooting for Ok.State, partly because I think they can help us better with RPI, but mostly for bubble insurance. Even though Baylor has a worse RPI, they are closer to getting in, according to most bracketologists (see Bracket Matrix (http://bracketproject.50webs.com/matrix.htm)). I'd rather hang another L on the Bears. The best Ok.State can do in the Big 12 reg.season is 7-9, and I don't think their non-conf performance was good enough to overcome that, so I don't mind them winning tonight (though they could also make a run in the Big 12 tourney, which would complicate things further).

Also rooting for:
- Alabama to lose to Florida
- Boston College to lose to Virginia Tech

Penn State is lingering too, so hoping they fall short in their upset bid against Ohio State.

Don't get me wrong, I have full confidence that GU will win the WCC tournament. A fallback plan doesn't hurt, though. After all, WCC officials will be reffing the WCC tourney, so nothing is guaranteed. :p