03-01-2011, 09:31 AM
A quadruple double?

http://newsok.com/ryan-spangler-bridge-creek/article/3544900

adoptedzag
03-01-2011, 09:33 AM
Sick. Just sick.

thespywhozaggedme
03-01-2011, 09:35 AM
Wow, moved to pg in the second half, didn't know he had those kind of handles.

Spangler scored 26 points to go with 15 rebounds, 12 assists and 10 blocked shots to earn boys basketball Player of the Week honors. The 6-foot-8 forward moved to point guard for the second half of the game, which boosted his assist numbers.

Robzagnut
03-01-2011, 09:38 AM
The LAST thing the Zags need is another Point Guard!!!!!! :D

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-01-2011, 10:04 AM
The LAST thing the Zags need is another Point Guard!!!!!! :D

I'll take a point guard who records 15 rebounds and ten blocked shots.

I'd even take a point guard who just logs all those assists.

Wow.

jazzdelmar
03-01-2011, 10:08 AM
i hope the shift to pg for stats was the coach's idea.....

former1dog
03-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Birddog will be along to correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the regular starting PG for Spangler's team recently get injured and knocked out for the season.

It's possible that Spangler was moved to PG because the back up was not performing well.

gozagswoohoo
03-01-2011, 10:14 AM
Pssht, big deal..... call me when he adds 10 steals to that list.

;-) HOLY CRIKEY

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Not even Ice Cube could do that.

U Zig, I Zag
03-01-2011, 10:18 AM

Only awesome people will get that reference.

jazzdelmar
03-01-2011, 10:20 AM
if he was doing this in the NYC Catholic league or the LA city league or even in Seattle i'd be more impressed.....color me a skeptic....but a hopeful one

former1dog
03-01-2011, 10:21 AM
if he was doing this in the NYC Catholic league or the LA city league or even in Seattle i'd be more impressed.....color me a skeptic....but a hopeful one

I think the biggest indication from these stats are that Spangler has a motor and lots of energy. Thats definitely a good thing. Beyond that, we'll see.

For some reason, I'm getting a Corey Violette vibe from this guy. That, of course, would work out well for GU.

gozagswoohoo
03-01-2011, 10:21 AM

Imagine if he even did HALF of that line in a 'respectable' league or whatever you're wishing....that would still be pretty freakin impressive.

jazzdelmar
03-01-2011, 10:23 AM
I think the biggest indication from these stats are that Spangler has a motor and lots of energy. Thats definitely a good thing. Beyond that, we'll see.

doggie-disagree. i think the biggest indication is that he is tall. and that the league is largely smurfs.

former1dog
03-01-2011, 10:24 AM
doggie-disagree. i think the biggest indication is that he is tall. and that the league is largely smurfs.

They grow smurfs BIG in Oklahoma :D

jazzdelmar
03-01-2011, 10:25 AM
They grow smurfs BIG in Oklahoma :D

bless ya, doggie, you're a #### eyed optimist...and a wonderful salesman and fan....hope ur well, my friend

jazzdelmar
03-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Imagine if he even did HALF of that line in a 'respectable' league or whatever you're wishing....that would still be pretty freakin impressive.

in the NY CHSAA i wd take one quarter of these stats....but then he'd be going big east..

former1dog
03-01-2011, 10:31 AM
bless ya, doggie, you're a #### eyed optimist...and a wonderful salesman and fan....hope ur well, my friend

I'm doing great Jazz. How are you the Mrs? I imagine she is still tearing up the streets with her marathon competitions?

jazzdelmar
03-01-2011, 10:33 AM
I'm doing great Jazz. How are you the Mrs? I imagine she is still tearing up the streets with her marathon competitions?

mary's doing her 25th straight (all of em) la marathon in a few wks...plus looking for one in south dakota and texas...she has 30 states done, also needs 3 continents.....dont ask, shes a competitor.......

CDC84
03-01-2011, 10:34 AM
I would bet that there aren't too many high schoolers recording quadruple doubles, regardless of the competition they are facing. I think it can be safely said that this kid is going to be a very good player at Gonzaga. How good remains to be seen.

former1dog
03-01-2011, 10:34 AM
mary's doing her 25th straight (all of em) la marathon in a few wks...plus looking for one in south dakota and texas...she has 30 states done, also needs 3 continents.....dont ask, shes a competitor.......

Wish her well for me and get her to those additional continents!

jazzdelmar
03-01-2011, 10:36 AM
Wish her well for me and get her to those additional continents!

i was hoping u wd accompany her to Antarctica :)...i got australia covered, tho

jazzdelmar
03-01-2011, 10:38 AM
I would bet that there aren't too many high schoolers recording quadruple doubles, regardless of the competition they are facing. I think it can be safely said that this kid is going to be a very good player at Gonzaga. How good remains to be seen.

fair enough, but this board really is a recidivist when it come to swallowing hype on newcomers.....and it always hurts when reality intrudes.....now with gary bell, there is a lot more there there, one wd hope.

gozagswoohoo
03-01-2011, 10:41 AM
fair enough, but this board really is a recidivist when it come to swallowing hype on newcomers.....and it always hurts when reality intrudes.....now with gary bell, there is a lot more there there, one wd hope.

There is much truth to this, no doubt. But I think Spangler is going to be like Pendo, but better, and will happen sooner.

And yes, GBJ is the rill dill. FO SHOOOOOO

former1dog
03-01-2011, 10:43 AM
i was hoping u wd accompany her to Antarctica :)...i got australia covered, tho

Try and knock those out together, since I think you have to get to the South Pole via Christchurch, NZ anyways. Isn't Australia a lot closer to New Zealand than LA?

If she pulls that off, we need to hear the whole story. That would be worthy of a thread on GUBoards and then some!

adoptedzag
03-01-2011, 11:49 AM

Tru dat.

MDABE80
03-01-2011, 12:03 PM

There comes a point when these huge numbers are physically impossible in one game in any league.....and in 8 minute quarters too! Maybe if one took from 4 games in each category. We might have a Paul Bunyan in our midst in a mere 6 months. It's good to have tall tails. It's also good to have a "Bunyan" around. Hope he brings "Babe" the Blue Ox with him;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Bunyan

UberZagFan
03-01-2011, 12:44 PM

Uber does near that just messing around. Like here:

http://www.guboards.com/showpost.php?p=514546&postcount=6

Uber thanks you for referring to him as awesome.

p.s. F1D & Jazz: you think you can take your little small talk private? Don't you have AIM or SKYPE or something? Jeesh. :D

former1dog
03-01-2011, 01:02 PM
p.s. F1D & Jazz: you think you can take your little small talk private? Don't you have AIM or SKYPE or something? Jeesh. :D

I should have sent myself an email or something for proof because as I was involved in my exchange with Jazz, I thought to myself, "I'll bet Uber is going to come along and tell us to get a room."

jazzdelmar
03-01-2011, 01:21 PM
I should have sent myself an email or something for proof because as I was involved in my exchange with Jazz, I thought to myself, "I'll bet Uber is going to come along and tell us to get a room."

doggie--i suppose he is right, but jeez, how declasse...perhaps he shld have taken his own advice and pm-ed each of us ...im wondering, what exactly is he the "uber" of?

former1dog
03-01-2011, 01:25 PM
doggie--i suppose he is right, but jeez, how declasse...perhaps he shld have taken his own advice and pm-ed each of us ...im wondering, what exactly is he the "uber" of?

He's just pulling my leg, Jazz. No biggie.

Uber and I are old sparring partners from other parts of the board (this and at least 2 previous versions.) He's a good guy, but don't tell him I said that.....

Wait, aw crap!

UberZagFan
03-01-2011, 01:40 PM
He's just pulling my leg, Jazz. No biggie.

Uber and I are old sparring partners from other parts of the board (this and at least 2 previous versions.) He's a good guy, but don't tell him I said that.....

Wait, aw crap!

No worries. Uber doesn't read other people's posts anyhow. He's just here to read his one posts.

lothar98zag
03-01-2011, 01:57 PM
Public Service Announcement:

This site has Private Messages. (Sometimes referred to as PM's. They are like e-mails, except just for this site.) Click this link and take your GUBoards experience to a whole new level: LINK (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/private.php)

Birddog
03-01-2011, 02:41 PM
None of this idle chit chat would have happened here if Angelo hadn't started a new thread about a subject that was already covered. Frankly, I'm kinda surprised that ZN or some other regular hasn't mentioned that already.

MickMick
03-01-2011, 04:22 PM

Just being tall doesn't cut it when talking about owning a state record for rebounds. A couple dozen tall kids roll down the pike every season.

Why don't they all own some kind of a record?

maynard g krebs
03-01-2011, 04:59 PM
Just being tall doesn't cut it when talking about owning a state record for rebounds. A couple dozen tall kids roll down the pike every season.

Why don't they all own some kind of a record?

Yup. Being tall gets you the rebounds that bounce in your direction. To get RS's numbers you need to be at a rare level in terms of anticipating and pursuing the misses that don't bounce in your direction.

NEC26
03-01-2011, 05:03 PM
I have said it before but I would love for Spangler to be a John Brockman type forward. Not the tallest guy on the court but a nose for the ball and a lot of tenacity and want to. What exactly is his height anyway? I have seen anywhere from 6-7 to 6-9.

Birddog
03-01-2011, 05:27 PM
Ryan is a legit 6'8" in bare feet according to his dad.
There is some truth to the statements that the level of competition plays into his rebounding numbers. Still, he is very athletic, tenacious, and has a nose for the ball. You're gonna like this kid, the question is will he deliver as soon as so many of you assume or want. We'll find out next fall. He's a little like a cross between Calvary and Violette. Remember, the jump from OK class 4A to elite D1 is pretty huge. Also, keep in mind the remarkable development of Dower after a bit of a slow start defensively this year, and coming after a RS year We all know how really good Dower is now. It takes time folks.