PDA

View Full Version : ZaGranny's Adventures in Zagland--Part 8

ID ZAGFAN
02-28-2011, 10:07 PM
What a wonderful last adventure for the year!

We started out after about 30 hours of snow in Sandpoint. So we left a little early in order to get here with time to spare. Fortunately, the snow abated south of the Long Bridge (just south of Sandpoint), so the trip wasn't too difficult.

We checked into the Red Lion and headed over to the MAC at about 4:30, settling into our seats. We were sitting next to Knotsolucky and Mrs. Knotsolucky. That was a lot of fun. Before the game, I talked to Hondo, and he introduced me to El Voce, and we chatted a while.

Loved Steven, coming down the tunnel of the team to be introduced. The introduction of Steven was short. His dad was there, but his mom and sister Brittany could not make it over the pass due to road conditions.

The game was great. The guys started a little slowly, but picked it up, and it was fun to watch Steven play. The crowd and the Kennel Club were really into it. They passed out pics of Steven's head to the KC, and everybody was waving them all game long. Every time Steven came in and out of the game, most people stood up and cheered. All of the team got in to the game. Off the bench, the most minutes were by Dower, Stockton, Kelly, Hoff, and Manny, with the rest garnering a few. They brought Steven back into the game in the last 7 minutes or so, he made the 9th 3 pointer, and went out to a standing ovation. They had several people trying to get the 10th, and finally Keita made it. Soon after, Hoff made #11, so the crowd was ecstatic.

Steven's farewell speech was great. I was really glad to be there to hear it.
After that, they presented the 11th regular season trophy, and cut down the nets.

I was able to chat with a woman I have mentioned before--I have seen her at at least five games. I saw Hondo again and we chatted, mostly about Vegas. Then, I went over to where the guys come out to wait to get autographs from the guys. While I was waiting, a woman came up to me and said " Are you ZaGranny?" She lurks on the board, doesn't post, but has read a lot of my posts. She and her daughter had two of the Steven heads, and I told her I had tried to get Mr. ID Zag to get me one, but he wouldn't. So she gave me one of hers. :)

As I was standing there, they called Steven's dad down to go to where Steven was speaking to some boosters, so as he went by me and thanked him for raising such a fine young man. He seemed a little taken aback, but said thanks.

While we were waiting for the guys, Father Hightower came out, and a girl wanted him to sign something, so I loaned him my pen. And he walked off with it! I missed getting signatures from the first two guys who came out (Meech and Marquise), so when I saw Mr. ID ZAG, I had him go buy me another from the Zag Gear booth. Meanwhile, Elias came out, and I borrowed a kid's regular pen for him to sign my hat.. I said I had had a sharpie but Father Hightower walked off with it. He said "Yeah, he's a thief!" Mr. ID got back with the sharpie and I was able to get signatures from Manny, Sam, Hoff, Stockton, Sacre. and Kelly. I asked Kelly if he remembered meeting me on New Year's and he said he did (I told you he had great manners.) We chatted a bit about his folks not coming over for the last few games, and he said they might go to Vegas, and asked if we were going. I said we were going to take the motorhome and our dogs and make a vacation of it.

Father Hightower came back and gave me my pen back. I told him Elias said he was a thief, and he laughed and called out to Elias "Stop telling stories, Elias!"

After we left the arena (and by leaving I mean were kicked out by the ushers) we returned to the hotel. We went to the bar to have a sandwich.
On the TV, we saw a video of Steven, and then of the guys getting the WCC trophy. I was surprised to see that it was on Sports Center. Since the TV was on mute, I have no idea what they were saying--can anyone enlighten me?

Now we're in the room ready for a good night's sleep before heading for home in the AM.

ZaGranny

Ezag
02-28-2011, 10:10 PM
Great Story and experience! I watched it at home but glad SWX carried Steven's fairwell speech and cutting down of the nets

Zagineer
02-28-2011, 10:19 PM
Safe travels to Vegas, ID.

See you there. :)

Reborn
03-01-2011, 04:29 AM
Thanks again, ZagGranny! Love your stories. I hope you blog your adventures in Las Vegas. You're a good writer, and your words do bring life to us TV watchers and make it all more real (maybe im just speaking for myself). Thank you again.

Hoopaholic
03-01-2011, 05:53 AM
cant wait to meet you in Vegas.....loved the stories all year long

gozagswoohoo
03-01-2011, 06:12 AM
Sounds like an awesome time. You've seen some fun games this season.

NEXT STOP...............VEEEEEEGGGGGGGGAAAAAAASSSSSSSSS SSSSS!!!!

LynetteG
03-01-2011, 07:42 AM
After we left the arena (and by leaving I mean were kicked out by the ushers)

my fave part! :)

Knotsolucky
03-01-2011, 08:11 AM
As usual, great story ZagGranny. It was great to finally meet you and your other half (date? LOL) ID ZAGFAN even though we've sat side by side before without knowing who was who. You two are truly some of the best and devoted fans any team could ask for. I think we all (on this board) would agree that we're glad Gonzaga is your team of choice (both men and women).

I know you guys will have a great time in Vegas and can't wait for your recap.

See you next year (seems like such a long time :mecry:) for sure...

ID ZAGFAN
03-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Weather was a little iffy, snow and blowing snow much of the way home, getting heavier as we crossed the Long Bridge into Sandpoint. A stop at the grocery store and here we are.

It is still snowing very heavily at the house.

Looking forward to warmer weather in Vegas.

ZaGranny

ID ZAGFAN
03-01-2011, 05:50 PM
What a wonderful last adventure for the year!

We started out after about 30 hours of snow in Sandpoint. So we left a little early in order to get here with time to spare. Fortunately, the snow abated south of the Long Bridge (just south of Sandpoint), so the trip wasn't too difficult.

We checked into the Red Lion and headed over to the MAC at about 4:30, settling into our seats. We were sitting next to Knotsolucky and Mrs. Knotsolucky. That was a lot of fun. Before the game, I talked to Hondo, and he introduced me to El Voce, and we chatted a while.

Loved Steven, coming down the tunnel of the team to be introduced. The introduction of Steven was short. His dad was there, but his mom and sister Brittany could not make it over the pass due to road conditions.

The game was great. The guys started a little slowly, but picked it up, and it was fun to watch Steven play. The crowd and the Kennel Club were really into it. They passed out pics of Steven's head to the KC, and everybody was waving them all game long. Every time Steven came in and out of the game, most people stood up and cheered. All of the team got in to the game. Off the bench, the most minutes were by Dower, Stockton, Kelly, Hoff, and Manny, with the rest garnering a few. They brought Steven back into the game in the last 7 minutes or so, he made the 9th 3 pointer, and went out to a standing ovation. They had several people trying to get the 10th, and finally Keita made it. Soon after, Hoff made #11, so the crowd was ecstatic.

Steven's farewell speech was great. I was really glad to be there to hear it.
After that, they presented the 11th regular season trophy, and cut down the nets.

I was able to chat with a woman I have mentioned before--I have seen her at at least five games. I saw Hondo again and we chatted, mostly about Vegas. Then, I went over to where the guys come out to wait to get autographs from the guys. While I was waiting, a woman came up to me and said " Are you ZaGranny?" She lurks on the board, doesn't post, but has read a lot of my posts. She and her daughter had two of the Steven heads, and I told her I had tried to get Mr. ID Zag to get me one, but he wouldn't. So she gave me one of hers. :)

As I was standing there, they called Steven's dad down to go to where Steven was speaking to some boosters, so as he went by me and thanked him for raising such a fine young man. He seemed a little taken aback, but said thanks.

While we were waiting for the guys, Father Hightower came out, and a girl wanted him to sign something, so I loaned him my pen. And he walked off with it! I missed getting signatures from the first two guys who came out (Meech and Marquise), so when I saw Mr. ID ZAG, I had him go buy me another from the Zag Gear booth. Meanwhile, Elias came out, and I borrowed a kid's regular pen for him to sign my hat.. I said I had had a sharpie but Father Hightower walked off with it. He said "Yeah, he's a thief!" Mr. ID got back with the sharpie and I was able to get signatures from Manny, Sam, Hoff, Stockton, Sacre. and Kelly. I asked Kelly if he remembered meeting me on New Year's and he said he did (I told you he had great manners.) We chatted a bit about his folks not coming over for the last few games, and he said they might go to Vegas, and asked if we were going. I said we were going to take the motorhome and our dogs and make a vacation of it.

Father Hightower came back and gave me my pen back. I told him Elias said he was a thief, and he laughed and called out to Elias "Stop telling stories, Elias!"

After we left the arena (and by leaving I mean were kicked out by the ushers) we returned to the hotel. We went to the bar to have a sandwich.
On the TV, we saw a video of Steven, and then of the guys getting the WCC trophy. I was surprised to see that it was on Sports Center. Since the TV was on mute, I have no idea what they were saying--can anyone enlighten me?

Now we're in the room ready for a good night's sleep before heading for home in the AM.

ZaGranny

Forgot to include that David is definitely working on a 'stache. Saw it up close and personal when he signed my hat. It is absolutely competitive with Ammo's! :p

ZaGranny

gamagin
03-01-2011, 06:47 PM
We went to the bar to have a sandwich.

ID ZAGFAN
03-01-2011, 07:25 PM

Use it in good health!!!

However, it was sad, but true. We hadn't eaten anything since sharing a rice bowl at the Kennel at about 5. So, of course, we needed to eat a little something before we went back to the room to share our chardonnay! If no-one is in the restaurant at about 9 at the Red Lion, they close it and serve the food in the bar--thus "We went to the bar to have a sandwich."

:)

ZaGranny

RenoZag
03-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Thank you for sharing your stories with the Board, ZaGranny. Look forward to reading your version of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas next weekend !

ID ZAGFAN
03-03-2011, 07:14 AM
Thank you for sharing your stories with the Board, ZaGranny. Look forward to reading your version of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas next weekend !

Got out last year's RenoZag T-shirt to wear in Vegas this weekend--looking forward to it.

ZaGranny

hondo
03-03-2011, 07:29 AM

At one time many bars sold milk and eggs from their coolers. Great excuse for a guy to stop by after work and pick up supplies for home.

willandi
03-03-2011, 07:34 AM
Use it in good health!!!

However, it was sad, but true. We hadn't eaten anything since sharing a rice bowl at the Kennel at about 5. So, of course, we needed to eat a little something before we went back to the room to share our chardonnay! If no-one is in the restaurant at about 9 at the Red Lion, they close it and serve the food in the bar--thus "We went to the bar to have a sandwich."

:)

ZaGranny

And I will have to remember this excuse..."they closed the restaraunt, I had to go to the bar". LOL

ID ZAGFAN
03-03-2011, 07:40 AM
Not totally related, but another interesting reason to go to a bar.

When I was a kid in Alaska (about 1957), our family of six went on a road trip from Fairbanks to Haines. On the way, at Haines Junction, YT, a rock hit the oil pan--we had to wait several days to get a new oil pan and have it installed. By the time we arrived in Haines the folks were totally out of cash, and of course it was late at night on a weekend. They learned from a passerby that if you went into the bars in town and bought a drink, you could cash a check for $5 over the amount. So they went barhopping--a total joke as they were teetotalers. So they'd go in, have a coke, cash a check, and head to the next one, until they had enough cash to get home. All the while the four of us girls were sitting in the car.

So you can always say "I'm going to the bar to cash a check."

ZaGranny

ZagMan in Philly
03-03-2011, 08:25 AM
Great story as always, Thanks..I love the part about getting on the Motorhome and take a drive to Vegas, that sounds like fun. Have a safe trip!

Go Zags!

Knotsolucky
03-03-2011, 11:19 AM
Great Alaska story ZaGranny...

I really loved this

They learned from a passerby that if you went into the bars in town and bought a drink, you could cash a check for $5 over the amount. So they went barhopping--a total joke as they were teetotalers. So they'd go in, have a coke, cash a check, and head to the next one, until they had enough cash to get home.

I think I'll see if it works here this afternoon... I could use some extra cash...

But Coke? Probably not...:cheers:

Hoopaholic
03-04-2011, 08:07 AM
HONDO

The bars still do sell milk, eggs and bread...at least in my town as that is where I get it for our house (no grocery store for our little town and nearest one is 40 miles):mecry:

ZagLawGrad
03-04-2011, 08:40 AM
Funny! Great post.

TQ_luvs_Zags
03-05-2011, 08:58 AM
ZaGranny,
Delurking to tell you I enjoy reading your posts and look forward to hearing about Vegas.
My 8 year old daughter and I sat very near you several times (you described yourself well) and we will definitely introduce ourselves next year :)
TQ

ID ZAGFAN
03-05-2011, 04:37 PM
ZaGranny,
Delurking to tell you I enjoy reading your posts and look forward to hearing about Vegas.
My 8 year old daughter and I sat very near you several times (you described yourself well) and we will definitely introduce ourselves next year :)
TQ
Thanks.
Looking forward to meeting you. My Vegas experiences will be in a blog--already started.

http://id-zagfan.blogspot.com/

Just click every day to see my latest posts

ZaGranny