PDA

View Full Version : This Zag Team Is Special

Zag@LMU
02-28-2011, 07:06 PM
What an amazing turn around from middle of the season to where we are now. These guys have it going now, and there aren't many teams that could stop them.

Oregonzagnut
02-28-2011, 07:22 PM
The epitome of

That which does not kill us, makes us stronger. -Nietzsche

To think we haven't even peaked yet either.

Blitzing-Zag
02-28-2011, 08:19 PM
They are starting to look quite good. Really strating to gel!

GonzagaLove
02-28-2011, 08:50 PM
So proud of our team, coaches and school. Many of us were hard on Few and Steven this year, but God we are lucky to have the coaches and players we do! I like the vibe we have right now and hope this team can do some great things in Vegas and beyond. Go Zags!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zagfan08
02-28-2011, 10:10 PM
This year was looking like a disaster, good thing the guys were able to turn it around. Our current rotation is geared toward beating WCC teams and I remain skeptical of how effective we'll be against a good team (tournament caliber team outside of WCC) but this squad continues to surprise me. While I'm not expecting to do anything in the tournament, a win wouldn't completely shock me either (this assumes we get there, don't want to leave our fate in the hands of the committee.)

zagfan08
02-28-2011, 10:21 PM
I will say this though.. It's nice to be able to say a GU team is playing their best basketball going into March. I don't think that statement could be made for the last several years and it's always better to start slow and finish strong than to start strong and flame out. Now we've got to take care of business in Vegas.

UberZagFan
02-28-2011, 11:41 PM
Yeah, now if only GU could play CSUB in the NCAAs....

Zag@LMU
02-28-2011, 11:47 PM
Yeah, now if only GU could play CSUB in the NCAAs....

Yep, lets not overlook the extremely strong SoCal trip we had, huge clutch weekend against the Bay area teams in Spokane, and the win against SMC (I dont think SMC could have played a much better game than they did, GU simply was better).

I know that only one of the teams listed is tourney caliber, but outside of the SMC game, we haven't had a close one in a while.

gu03alum
03-01-2011, 03:18 AM
Now that the rotation is tightened up I think this team could make some noise in the tournament.

Hoopaholic
03-01-2011, 06:04 AM
I still am not a fan of the "amazing" turnaround since midseason, wasnt on the band wagon back then that the season was "doomed"...

I do not see any amazing turnaround. I simply saw a team who has continued to improve (especially on defense, not so much on offense where we have actually slowed our pace down in key categories second half of league)

The alleged midseason slump was 3 games that had some of the most bizzare bounces of the ball, strangest calls and unbelievable shots made .....

to be honest change a single play in each of those games and we could be talking about a run of the WCC season........

so I view those 3 games as "lesson" learned and have watched this team continue to believe in themselves, continue to improve both personally as well as collectively day by day, game by game

Zag@LMU
03-01-2011, 07:25 AM
I still am not a fan of the "amazing" turnaround since midseason, wasnt on the band wagon back then that the season was "doomed"...

I do not see any amazing turnaround. I simply saw a team who has continued to improve (especially on defense, not so much on offense where we have actually slowed our pace down in key categories second half of league)

The alleged midseason slump was 3 games that had some of the most bizzare bounces of the ball, strangest calls and unbelievable shots made .....

to be honest change a single play in each of those games and we could be talking about a run of the WCC season........

so I view those 3 games as "lesson" learned and have watched this team continue to believe in themselves, continue to improve both personally as well as collectively day by day, game by game
How about the first half of the season slump, such as ND, WSU, KSU, SDSU (remember how much everyone else struggled? Gray had a career game but no one else could help him).

The rise in level of talent these guys are putting on the floor has been exponential this second half.

HOOTER
03-01-2011, 07:41 AM
What an amazing turn around from middle of the season to where we are now. These guys have it going now, and there aren't many teams that could stop them.

"Amazing" turn around? Well....that's debatable. I'll agree that they're playing better, but if they have the fortune of making the NCAA tourney, they won't be playing any San Diego's or Cal St Bakersfield's. If they manage to get the auto-bid (which I think they will) the competition level will be much higher than what the WCC has to offer, and we've seen how they handle stiff competition as recently as Memphis. To say there aren't many teams that could stop them is to completely disregard everything we've seen this season, but it's no surprise. I knew they'd "turn things around" against weak conference (and non-conf) teams and people would be penning them in as national champs on their brackets. I'll be happy if they win the conference tourney and advance beyond the first round of the NCAA's. We'll see from there.

Zag79
03-08-2011, 09:37 AM
the end of the regular season... i have to agree with the OP, this team has made its way into my "favorite" zag teams list. they are gritty, full of heart, and fight like no other. regardless of what happens in the big dance this team had earned and deserves the same respect as any zag team in the past. every player on this roster has contributed to the teams success, and i for one loved every step of the journey. how about making some noise in march to top it off? go zags!

RenoZag
03-08-2011, 10:17 AM
Last night was tough getting to sleep due to being so jazzed up by the Zags' win. They are a special team because their journey was an unconventional one. It was terrific seeing the reactions of Sacre, Gray, Few, and others last night. Some of the still photos have captured the bit of magic that many of us enjoy by proxy.

Any day is a great day to be a Zag. Today just has a bit more flair.

It isn't every day your alma mater wins the Men's and Women's conference basketball tourney.

abarefootboy
03-08-2011, 10:31 AM
... and as they pass through those pillars of illumination ... they leave the door open just a crack ... so their fans can sneak in too.

HOOTER
03-08-2011, 10:43 AM
Last night was tough getting to sleep due to being so jazzed up by the Zags' win.

Normally the same would be true for me, but I watched the entire game from an elliptical machine so sleeping wasn't a problem for my out of shape ass.