PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article about WCC at large benefits

TreBulldog08
02-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Just saw this on twitter

http://twitter.com/EhudHoops/status/42342603458482176

not sure if both Gonzaga and St marys get bids this year if they make the WCC title game, but definitely see how it benefits WCC if one of them wins. I wonder though since they both are bubble teams, actually it might be even better if someone else like USF or Santa Clara wins it and then we get 3 teams in??

bullzag23
02-28-2011, 02:40 PM
Just saw this on twitter

not sure if both Gonzaga and St marys get bids this year if they make the WCC title game, but definitely see how it benefits WCC if one of them wins. I wonder though since they both are bubble teams, actually it might be even better if someone else like USF or Santa Clara wins it and then we get 3 teams in??

No way does GU make it if they lose to USF in the WCCs. They're already on thin ice as it is. Not sure about SMC but I wouldn't like their chances with another bad loss either, and USF's RPI isn't pretty(#120 per ESPN).

Also consider the bubble. There are only so many spots available, and if USF(or anyone but GU/SMC) clinched the auto bid from WCC it makes it that much more unlikely that we get a bid. So not only would our at large chances go down because of a loss but there would also be one less spot available for the picking. Not only would this situation not benefit the WCC by keeping one or both of its best teams out of the NCAA it would definitely not benefit SMC/GU.

rijman
02-28-2011, 02:52 PM
No way does GU make it if they lose to USF in the WCCs. They're already on thin ice as it is. Not sure about SMC but I wouldn't like their chances with another bad loss either, and USF's RPI isn't pretty(#120 per ESPN).

Also consider the bubble. There are only so many spots available, and if USF(or anyone but GU/SMC) clinched the auto bid from WCC it makes it that much more unlikely that we get a bid. So not only would our at large chances go down because of a loss but there would also be one less spot available for the picking. Not only would this situation not benefit the WCC by keeping one or both of its best teams out of the NCAA it would definitely not benefit SMC/GU.
+1

The best we can hope for is 2 teams, the Zags and SMC, imho. They both need to make the finals and even then it may be 50% or less getting the finals loser in.

Reborn
02-28-2011, 03:10 PM
I believe it will be Gonzaga and St. Mary's. And I hope we both beat everyone badly. I want both teams to get into the NCAA dance, and I believe that if both don't, that that would be really unfair. Sure! /St Mary's has one bad loss and now it's "throw them to the wolves." Thats the kind of hypocracy I see in this whole thing (the tournament). Let a Big East, or Big ten lose to a bad team and it's no big deal at all. How many teams have not HAD AT LEAST ONE BAD LOSS? How many have had 2 or more? Is Duke losing to Virginia Tech a bad loss???? To me it is. Virginia Tech was on it's way out of the tournament if they had not beaten Duke. I could go on and on and on about this. St Mary's was the Darling of ESPN all year, and now are they turning their back on them? All year long, all I heard on ESPN was how St Mary's is replacing Gonzaga as the Best Team in the WCC. And now it's "Will they make it into the tournament?"

Personally, I felt St. Mary's was overrated all year. They do not have a good enough Big man down low. It's their Achilles Tendon! Recently, they have been exposed "Big Time!" And finally, they did not play a very tough OOC schedule. Teams that fail to do that, are often left home in March. I also feel that the loss to Utah State hurt them. They played poorly in the second half because Jones was on the bench most of the time. As good as Jones is, he has hurt them down the stretch.

I think this debate makes the WCC tournament all the exciting, and if GU and St Mary's reach the final, it's going to be one more war because both teams will leave it all on the court just like they did the last time they played.

mmgael96
02-28-2011, 04:15 PM
Reborn, I agree with you. We do not have a strong post presence this year and I cringed every time we cracked the top 25. We are a good team and can be competitive with anybody but we were never a top 25 caliber team.

Regarding our OOC, though it is not the same resume as Gonzaga this was one of our tougher schedules in recent years. Gonzaga is the flagship team of the WCC so you have an obligation to schedule a tougher OOC teams... I am kidding... sort of. No worries though. At SMC we are doing our best to relieve some of the burden on Gonzaga having to carry the load of representing the WCC in the NCAAs.

This year I think the only way two WCC teams make it to the NCAAs is if SMC and Gonzaga play in the conference final and it is a very close game like in Spokane and Moraga this year. If it is a blowout like the last two years then only one of us is in the NCAA. We can't overlook the other teams but I hope it is Gonzaga and SMC in the finals and it is an all out battle like the conference games this year.

Regards,
mmgael96

GU69
02-28-2011, 04:58 PM
I would like to see it become a routine that the WCC is good for at least two teams to the NCAAs.

RenoZag
02-28-2011, 06:00 PM
This year I think the only way two WCC teams make it to the NCAAs is if SMC and Gonzaga play in the conference final and it is a very close game like in Spokane and Moraga this year. If it is a blowout like the last two years then only one of us is in the NCAA. We can't overlook the other teams but I hope it is Gonzaga and SMC in the finals and it is an all out battle like the conference games this year.

:000tens:

GeorgiaZagFan
02-28-2011, 07:09 PM
Just saw this on twitter

If either team loses before the finals they are out! I'm worried that if Gonzaga and St. Marys makes the finals in Vegas AND its a blowout, the loser is out as well! For this year they will put all 16 Big East teams in before they have three from the WCC.

ZagsGoZags
03-01-2011, 01:12 AM
I think that if the Gaels and Bulldogs play in the WCC tournament finals,

if Gonzaga wins, Gaels do not get an at large selection

if Gaels win, Gonzaga will just barely get an at large selection, influenced in part by the history and reputation of the GU program

I used to think that the move from 64 to 68 in the dance was no big deal
all of a sudden I am very glad for those four spots,
it might mean in or out for SMC or GU

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-01-2011, 04:43 AM
I hope it is Gonzaga and SMC in the finals and it is an all out battle like the conference games this year.

I think we all fully expect to see another barn burner in the WCC championship. You've got a great team in Moraga. We're hoping to be just a little better on Monday night.

We're also really hoping to see you get the at-large. :)