PDA

View Full Version : NBA Draft:

Johnzaga
02-28-2011, 11:00 AM
Where will Steven go? Does it all depend on his NCAA showing? What are your thoughts?

I think early 2nd round unless he really shows everything he's got in the NCAA tourney. For a 1st round pick he has to show some leadership, decent passing, an uber athletic move here and there and needs to hit the big shots when they are needed. He is fully capable of all of this...but if he doesn't show it when it counts....I think he could be overlooked in the draft.

KOzag08
02-28-2011, 11:06 AM
Steven won't get drafted. He was very inconsistent at best this season. He's going to be headed to Europe.

Ekrub
02-28-2011, 11:06 AM
Europe, and he seems like the type of guy who would probably like that better anyways.

If Bouldin couldn't make it to the NBA, it would be really hard for Gray. Even with a stellar tournament

MDABE80
02-28-2011, 11:11 AM
Gray will go somewhere....not the nba...

FuManShoes
02-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Europe, and he seems like the type of guy who would probably like that better anyways.

If Bouldin couldn't make it to the NBA, it would be really hard for Gray. Even with a stellar tournament

I agree with this. Heading into this season I thought Steven had a chance to be an NBA pick and was baffled by the lack of reports on draft boards but he hasn't shown the consistency or crazy athleticism that is needed. He has a beautiful shot and fills up the stat sheet but he requires a lot of help to get that shot off, misses too many and has not improved his dribble, getting to the rim or converting midrange shots. Scouts also think he lacks NBA fire and is a step slow, meaning his defensive prowess at this level would be gone at the next. I think he's going overseas and what better place for a kid who thrives on adventure?

jazzdelmar
02-28-2011, 11:12 AM
sg's going places.....just not to a hoops life.....will be a source of pride for gu and all his fans....

Oregonzagnut
02-28-2011, 11:13 AM
Seniors are seen to have less of an upside. Problem is it is usually true. The NBA is about what GMS and coaches can do to increase wins and revenue based on potential and hype. Intentionally manipulated hype in the NBA is the norm if they can sell season tickets and millions of dollars in memorabilia before their first season even starts. to see if the new freshman standout kid from Duke or UNC can bring the worst NBA teams out from under obscurity. Why would the NBA let Gonzaga capitalize on 2 more years of an athletes development when they can draft/buy the kid and let their fans enjoy it. And maybe the kid will turn out to be the real deal. Most do not however and but the NBA spits them out after already having capitalized on the hype.

College = Apples
NBA = Oranges

roxdoc
02-28-2011, 11:19 AM
Graduate school, Peace Corps, etc.

U Zig, I Zag
02-28-2011, 11:20 AM
Steven will be playing basketball off Broadway.

TL87ZAG
02-28-2011, 11:24 AM
+1

Oregonzagnut
02-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Steven will be playing basketball off Broadway.

+1

Hopefully the Hollywood version of "Hoop Dreams" and NOT Juwanna Mann the sequel.

CDC84
02-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Grab that passport.

former1dog
02-28-2011, 11:29 AM
sg's going places.....just not to a hoops life.....will be a source of pride for gu and all his fans....

+1

Already a source of pride for GU. Hell, I wish I was as well rounded when I was his age or nowadays for that matter.

hooter73
02-28-2011, 11:29 AM
Europe if anywhere. This season did him no favors and that was not necessarily his fault. A week ago he was projected as #52. IN the interview he did with Heister for the Mark Few show Steven said (paraphrasing) he didnt see devoting so much of a persons life to something (bball) to not try to continue it on for the short time line that is available (after college) to keep playing.

Id love to see him from here on out dominate every game guard wise but I doubt that is in the cards.

FuManShoes
02-28-2011, 11:34 AM
Europe if anywhere. This season did him no favors and that was not necessarily his fault. A week ago he was projected as #52. IN the interview he did with Heister for the Mark Few show Steven said (paraphrasing) he didnt see devoting so much of a persons life to something (bball) to not try to continue it on for the short time line that is available (after college) to keep playing.

Id love to see him from here on out dominate every game guard wise but I doubt that is in the cards.

Did you take that to mean he wants to try and make it as a pro if only for a while and even if it means going overseas (again, he might not view that as a bad thing)?

ZagsObserver
02-28-2011, 11:51 AM
He'll be drafted in the latter portion of the 2nd round. Thanks for all you've done Steven and best of luck!! Let's get to the tourny now and make some noise...

UberZagFan
02-28-2011, 12:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G40g9RTxurw

There are more than 380,000 student-athletes and most of them go pro in something other than sports.

And there's nothing wrong with that. GU will be proud of whatever SG ends up doing.

coolhandzag
02-28-2011, 12:31 PM

Well said Jazz. If I was as together as SG I might have avoided those two short stints in the Kootenai County Hilton. Two overrated experiences I must admit.

hooter73
02-28-2011, 01:21 PM
Did you take that to mean he wants to try and make it as a pro if only for a while and even if it means going overseas (again, he might not view that as a bad thing)?

I more took it to mean that a player has devoted this much of their lives to getting good at this sport and NBA careers are relatively short so if there is a hint of an option to play you should go for it. You'll have plenty of time after you get out of the Pro ball at 30 years old (or whatever the average age of retirement is for the NBA) to do other stuff with all the money you just made.

DCZag
02-28-2011, 01:31 PM
Love SG and his game - but as of the season's end, he will be taking his talents to Europe (if he continues to play).

allnet59
02-28-2011, 01:40 PM
Probably not the nba but Steven gray has so more potential to do amazing things past his basketball career that whatever he chooses to do I'm sure it will be the right fit for him. It seems the nba life is so short lived and of course the money is a big draw but gray seems so much a different kind of soul that I could see him doing something along the lines of helping against world hunge. Nice to be different.....

CB4
02-28-2011, 01:48 PM
Europe, if he wants to continue his playing career. He'll earn a good living over there and if he choses to capitalize on his potential he'll find his way into the NBA.

OZZY
02-28-2011, 02:05 PM
Who knows he may chose to earn a living playing ball while contibuting in his off time to other noble causes....

There are many parts of the world that could use Steven's humility and kindness.

maynard g krebs
02-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Based on what comparable Zag players have done overseas, SG should be able to make at least a couple hundred thousand dollars a year for part time work, and have plenty of time to continue doing the other things he likes to do.

Great to see a thread with nothing but positive comments about Steven, who imo will be missed on the court a lot early next year.

MDABE80
02-28-2011, 02:36 PM
" IN the interview he did with Heister for the Mark Few show Steven said (paraphrasing) he didnt see devoting so much of a persons life to something (bball) to not try to continue it on for the short time line that is available (after college) to keep playing."

Abe's views have been clear. This kid has as much basketball talent and athleticism as we've seen in ages. If he mean the above quote, it's a bit late to prove himself. He's still good for the WCC college game but WHAT HAS HE BEEN THINKING!!!!! He could have been a huge star! Many think the college experience should be as diverse and "fulfilling as possible". Me too.
The NBA doesn't see it that way. They like focused, hardnosed players.
They don't pay millions for distracted kids.

Steven will play a few years like it's an advanced hobby. Something to do to keep in shape while he figures out what to do in life. Might be one of several things he'll do. Size, speed, hops, was a superior shooter. I love him. NBA won't even give him a look. They did at one time. Won't now. Just too much frittering. All the "what if's" won't even get him a burger. Maybe he'll teach...it's fulfilling as anything I can imagine.

bullzag23
02-28-2011, 02:51 PM
" IN the interview he did with Heister for the Mark Few show Steven said (paraphrasing) he didnt see devoting so much of a persons life to something (bball) to not try to continue it on for the short time line that is available (after college) to keep playing."

Abe's views have been clear. This kid has as much basketball talent and athleticism as we've seen in ages. If he mean the above quote, it's a bit late to prove himself. He's still good for the WCC college game but WHAT HAS HE BEEN THINKING!!!!! He could have been a huge star! Many think the college experience should be as diverse and "fulfilling as possible". Me too.

Steven will play a few years like it's an advanced hobby. Something to do to keep in shape while he figures out what to do in life. Might be one of several things he'll do. Size, speed, hops, was a superior shooter. I love him. NBA won't even give him a look. They did at one time. Won't now. Just too much frittering. All the "what if's" won't even get him a burger. Maybe he'll teach...it's fulfilling as anything I can imagine.

Maybe it's me but he'd have to be crazy to pass up a couple more years of basketball considering the money he can make, and he'll still be young by the end. If he plays 4 years (and who knows how long he does play) he can make enough money to support himself in his other endeavors for quite some time. Steven's no fool, so I think he'll play in Europe for $$$ for a short while and then use that wealth to help himself help others.

Not everyone has an opportunity to earn six figures straight out of college so IMO he's best suited to play Euro-ball, even if only for a couple of years. I'm sure he's aware of this as well.

Reborn
02-28-2011, 03:22 PM
I think this thread is premature, and would have been much better after the season. There may be a ton of games left to really evaluate Steve. I think that beginning Saturday and Sunday, his real evaluation begins. And then how he plays in the NCAA tournament will be very important. Im going to wait until after the season ends to tell you what I think because as I said, it's way to early...and....IMO, THE BEST IS YET TO COME!!!!

Oregonzagnut
02-28-2011, 03:45 PM
I think this thread is premature, and would have been much better after the season. There may be a ton of games left to really evaluate Steve.

Huge exposure occurs during March madness. Careers have been made out of deep tourney runs by borderline NBA prospects.

Lets hope the team can give Steven a deep run to bolster his hoops resume. He is listed in some mock drafts as going late second round. If he can wow the media and scouts and the Zags go on a run, that could easily turn his draft status from a "maybe" to a "yes".

Problem is, if our success bolsters Gray then our success will also bolter EH and RS too. We want them to return.

maynard g krebs
02-28-2011, 03:57 PM

SG is, and always has been, very similar to Bryce Taylor of UO's last elite 8 team. Ranked around 60 in their hs classes, 6'4 shooting guards who can get to the rim on the college level. Very few guys who were this level of hs players make the NBA- small for 2's on that level, and with marginal lateral quickness v. NBA players that size.

When you factor in foreign players, that 60 ranking goes to around 100 or so worldwide. What, 40 a year, make the NBA?

NBA looks at a lot of guys. And selects a few. Saying Gray has squandered NBA talent just isn't realistic imo.

Bouldin, Calvary, Santangelo, etc etc all guys just as talented as Gray (and there's more to talent than a vertical)

(Sigh) Guess hoping for an all-positive Gray thread is too much to ask.

Oregonzagnut
02-28-2011, 04:23 PM
Steven's no fool

Agreed 100%

But some just want to be happy and do some good in an ugly world. Hoop and money don't always lead to happiness. It wouldn't be the first time someone didn't want the "fame and fortune".

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/19/sports/ncaabasketball/19athlete.html

I think you are correct MDABE80, he will test the waters and see if he can be happy playing basketball and build a nest egg at the same time. (assuming he needs it)

Mother Theresa did way more good in this world than Michael Jordan ever did.

MJ777
02-28-2011, 10:35 PM
Steven plays a year in Europe and then moves to the Big Apple and takes a starring role as a basketball star in HS Musical 5 on Broadway.

TexasZagFan
03-01-2011, 04:57 AM
Love SG and his game - but as of the season's end, he will be taking his talents to Europe (if he continues to play).

Derek Raivio played for at least two seasons in Trier. I'd love to compare notes with him, as I lived about 15 miles north of Trier during my tour in Germany.

Living in the Mosel River valley was one of the most enjoyable periods of my life.

Wherever Steven may travel, the natives will fall in love with him.

Beer_Engineer
03-01-2011, 07:46 AM
Europe