PDA

View Full Version : What does it take for a Catholic Tourney?

kitzbuel
06-13-2007, 12:51 PM
I have seen this topic float around in past summers and never get past the board discussion phase. I know NJ Zag has pointed out that Georgetown's board members are always interested. I've seen interest from Marquette. How much traction does this idea have with the Athletic dept and Jerry Krause? Could GU provide enough momentum to get something started?

Thoughts?

Zag 77
06-13-2007, 01:20 PM
If Bob Zag had a nickel for every time this has been raised, he would be a miilinaire by now.

There are 40 or so Catholic schools that play basketball, but they never get together for a tourney. I am sure the issue has been raised among all their fans as well.

Plus, the NCAA is making it harder for teams to participate in tournaments except every so many years.

Don't get me wrong. I think a tournament with teams like Notre Dame, GU, Georgetown, Marquette, etc would be fabulous. However, I suspect that self-interest must be dictating against such a thing happening or it would have happened by now. Otherwise I am sure there are lots of sponsors and TV networks that would be very interested.

gamagin
06-13-2007, 01:43 PM
West Coast (mostly) Catholics (Conference)

JAGzag
06-13-2007, 03:13 PM
I know this has been beaten dead, but with all these great schools, it would be a fantastic tourney...is there any particular reason it hasn't happened?

BobZag
06-13-2007, 03:28 PM
I know this has been beaten dead, but with all these great schools, it would be a fantastic tourney...is there any particular reason it hasn't happened?

No reason that really makes sense. I think every school is afraid another school may have an advantage, no matter where it's played. Maybe a neutral site like, um, the moon could be agreed upon. :boxing:

NanookZag
06-13-2007, 03:36 PM
Maybe the receipts from a tourney in Spokane could be used to pay the Spokane Diocese's umpteen million dollar settlement that nobody gets to see who gets what money. Is anyone else sick of getting letters from the Bishop asking for money?

jbslicer
06-13-2007, 03:45 PM
Hey, I thought we are all part of the same team.

ZagNative
06-13-2007, 03:56 PM
Just when I thought I was safe having no one in my "ignore" list ....

Bocco
06-13-2007, 04:05 PM
Maybe the receipts from a tourney in Spokane could be used to pay the Spokane Diocese's umpteen million dollar settlement that nobody gets to see who gets what money. Is anyone else sick of getting letters from the Bishop asking for money?

NanookZag - see neg repping thread in Foo. You may have earned one.

BoltZag
06-13-2007, 08:31 PM
West Coast (mostly) Catholics (Conference)

Right...only the good part about a Catholic tournament with the likes of Georgetown, ND, Marquette...etc. is that A) the games would be entertaining, and B) people would want to watch, thus, network(s) would show interest and consider airing said tournament.

Until then, the only Catholic match ups we get are at midnight EST. (Not that I'm not grateful that the worldwide leader carries our games).

ZagNut08
06-13-2007, 09:30 PM
Get 4 schools...4year contract...each school hosts the tourney one year...I would sign up

kitzbuel
06-14-2007, 10:50 AM
Get 4 schools...4year contract...each school hosts the tourney one year...I would sign up

I don't know about a school actually hosting it, but definitely towns like Omaha, Milwaukee, Philly or even Spokane are great locations for small tourneys like this.

NJZag
06-14-2007, 12:46 PM
Three words why this will never happen:

New Big East

(And its fallout)

At the time the idea was being pushed more actively, and Creighton was taking a laboring oar, the Jesuit colleges that were in upper ranks that made the tourney a likely TV ratings winner had conference alignments that might have been conducive.

Now, we've got Marquette in the NBE which means that it's going to want no part of a tournament with Georgetown since they're already in the same conference.

We've got BC leaving the old Big East for the ACC and probably enough bad blood about it (an on the record "promise" by BC that later got broken) that Georgetown might not want any part of a Jesuit tournament with "Benedict Arnold College". (I think the words "over my dead body" or the equivalent were coming out of a few mouths in AD areas of Conn, 'cuse, G'town etc. when BC left.)

A Jesuit tournament would probably need 4 teams which were pre-season top 15 or 25 to be a winner in terms of attendance and snaring a TV deal. A total field of 8 might be needed if it didn't follow a playoff format (exempt? non-exempt?). Possible teams that fit that category in a "good" year:

Georgetown (Big East)
BC (ex-Big East, new ACC)
Marquette (ex-ConUSA, new Big East)
Creighton (MVC)
Gonzaga (WCC)
St. Joe's (A-10) -- needs a good year (another Jameer?)

If Majerus can make the Billikens respectable, it would add another program to the potential group of participants. Holy Cross in a good year could rep the Patriot Conference.

It it were changed into a Catholic college tournament, I guess that would open it up to Notre Dame (Holy Cross fathers) but that's still a Big East school and you bump into the problem of an ooc tournament with in-conference rivals.

Personally, I don't think it's ever going to happen. The bigger picture for schools that are pre-season favorites is that they're going to do what's best in a secular realm to groom their resume for the NCAA's and seedings -- and parochialism that potentially defeats that goal is not going to win over most coaching staffs.