• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zagsker
    Zag for Life
    • Dec 2008

Steven MVP?

Watching last nights game they ran a poll asking who people thought the MVP of the team was this year and Gray came out on top. Although I think Gray does good things, I really would have a hard time classifying him as the MVP...in fact....this team is very difficult to pinpoint a solid MVP. I guess Sacre would get my vote being that he has been there every game, provided a presence down low and has been a leader....but this team has had soooo many hands helping at different points in the season it is tough to make a call on this.
    I am working on being a more all around square.
  • zag buddy
    Banned
    • Dec 2007

Robert Sacre by a bunch.

Comment

• zagfaninmt
      Kennel Club Material
      • Feb 2007

Damn straight he's MVP. Just ask his coach.

Comment

• Rio Runner
        Kennel Club Material
        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Zagsker View Post
        Watching last nights game they ran a poll asking who people thought the MVP of the team was this year and Gray came out on top. Although I think Gray does good things, I really would have a hard time classifying him as the MVP...in fact....this team is very difficult to pinpoint a solid MVP. I guess Sacre would get my vote being that he has been there every game, provided a presence down low and has been a leader....but this team has had soooo many hands helping at different points in the season it is tough to make a call on this.

Agreed on all counts. I vote for Sacre.

But I bet the senior will win it. And that is okay too. Frankly, I think Gray turned a corner once he realized he had other teammates who could score. Gray is at his best when he rebounds, passes, plays defense, and hits the open jumper.

Comment

• sittingon50
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Rob's had a good year, but I'll give the nod to Steve.
          But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• Hoopaholic
            • Mar 2008

thought that poll was strange from the get go.....no Harris for starters was amazing to be honest...always wondered who makes those polls up

Gray without a doubt. Does it all on both ends of court, consistently fills the stat sheets up and many times does it quietly, lead this team from get go and EVERY team has created a defensive battle plan around SG.....

Clearly this year MVP
            The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• NEC26
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

EVERY team has created a defensive battle plan around SG.....

Clearly this year MVP[/QUOTE]

Really? I really don't think this team has an MVP to be honest but its pretty obvious teams create a game plan to stop Sacre to me. Teams have been packing the paint all year especially in conference.
              Curious what you mean when you say every team creates a defensive battle plan around Gray.

Comment

• Hoopaholic
                • Mar 2008

box and 1, double hedge off screens, jump screening him off as he comes off screens, denying basketball, rough physical play, changing defenders, chasing him full court, chasing him half court without regard for what else is going on the court.

Without Gray you have no inside game to offer.

That is just the offensive side of the game. Many times he was our assist leader, many times he was a top rebounder and many times he drew the toughest defensive assignment.

Without SG, we lose 6 maybe 7 more games than we have.

Double downs on Sacre occured on Sacre, dower, harris and olynyk....it didnt matter what GU post player was in you saw that, so that game plan was not about a single player.
                The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• NEC26
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

box and 1, double hedge off screens, jump screening him off as he comes off screens, denying basketball, rough physical play, changing defenders, chasing him full court, chasing him half court without regard for what else is going on the court.

I honestly can't recall Gray having a box and 1 being used on him and as for the rest that happens to pretty much every guard in this conference. Do they game plan for him? Yes of course they do but the scheme has always been to clog the paint and limit Sacre so I think you are trying a little hard when you say the opposing teams are game planning around Gray.
                  Edit: like I said before I don't think this team really has an MVP per say. Seems like someone different is always stepping up and when we win its always been a total team effort.

Comment

• sittingon50
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Don't miss Heister's interview with Gray on "Mark Few Show" coming up shortly.
                    But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• Oregonzagnut
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2011

Gray.

Some say clearly Gray. I say its close, but Gray. Hes the leading scorer, a senior, and our most valuable player who can do a little of everything. Including DUNK spectacularly in his last WCC regular season game and key the greatest blowout in a while by the Zags.

A poll would work wonders for this thread.
                      “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Comment

• Ezag
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Gray is the team MVP

Comment

• Once and Future Zag
                          Zag for Life
                          • Jan 2008

From what I've seen, no GU player since Ammo left has been the subject of as much defensive pressure designed to take 1 player out of the game.
                          History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Comment

• ZagLawGrad
                            Zag for Life
                            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Once and Future Zag View Post
                            From what I've seen, no GU player since Ammo left has been the subject of as much defensive pressure designed to take 1 player out of the game.
                            Excellent point. SG gets my vote.
                            "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Comment

• Rio Runner
                              Kennel Club Material
                              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Hoopaholic View Post
                              Without SG, we lose 6 maybe 7 more games than we have.
                              Without Gray we beat Xavier. When Gray left the Baylor game after 15 minutes due to back spasms, we won that game too.

Don't get me wrong. I don't have a problem with him as our MVP. But no way does his absence turn us from a 21-9 team to a 14-16 team.

Comment

Working...
                              X