PDA

View Full Version : "I've been waiting for Steve to go for a long time"

gustudentmd
02-27-2011, 01:58 PM
Rob talking with Huddy Buddy on the post game last night. One of the funniest things I've heard in quite some time. It will be a little sad seeing a great zag play his last home game tomorrow. It seems like just yesterday he was nearly matching Curry shot for shot in North Carolina.

Any other favorite Steven moments out there?

Once and Future Zag
02-27-2011, 02:49 PM
Rob talking with Huddy Buddy on the post game last night. One of the funniest things I've heard in quite some time. It will be a little sad seeing a great zag play his last home game tomorrow. It seems like just yesterday he was nearly matching Curry shot for shot in North Carolina.

Any other favorite Steven moments out there?

SCU - nailing two FT's after being tackled by Brody his freshman year.

My "forever memories" though of Steven will be him bouncing back on defense after draining a three, or dunking it off a curling drive, with that huge smile and rockin' the braids.

Also, did anyone notice - right as they cut away from the post game @ SD - Steven going over to the team huddle saying "Thank you, thank you"

Every now and again we get a player who just takes your breath away with some ridiculously athletic play - Pargo, Heytvelt, Knight. Steven has that quality as well.

Rio Runner
02-27-2011, 02:52 PM
SCU - nailing two FT's after being tackled by Brody his freshman year.

Bingo. Such a great moment.

EuroZag2010
02-27-2011, 04:05 PM
Last year when St. Marys came into town, Steven didnt have a huge offensive game but he mind@#%&ed dellvamouthpiece!! it was awesome that dude couldnt do anything Steve was on him like white on rice!!

MickMick
02-27-2011, 04:05 PM
My favorite game of Steven's was against #2 UConn in the BIS.

He was unstoppable.

Reborn
02-27-2011, 04:42 PM
Against Univ of San Diego St this year in K2. Im glad he had his all-time high scoring game this year (35 points). I thought he showed his talent that night, and that he was more than a 3 point shooter. He also had a very good game against Notre Dame and led the Zags back with 5-10 from the 3 point line. I also really liked his game against Marquette where he shot 5-11 from the 3 point line. I will now not only remember Steve for his beautiful outside shot, but for his overall game, and his ability to take the ball to the basket, and hit the 10 foot pull up. And mostly, I will remember him for his toughness that he showed this year. I think there are many ways to be a team leader. Certainly by scoring, which he has done. But this year we have had a different kind of leader in Steven Gray the warrior. His defense has played such a significant role on turning this team into winners. I think that he has mostly led by defense, and it's been a long time since we've had a Zag do that. Errol Knight comes to mind.

In a way this has been Steven's team because he's the Senior. I have wondered all year how this team would turn out, and how Steve will be remembered. Somehow, inside I know that his character has really influenced this team in a very positive way. I would say that he has never given up, and somehow his faith caught on. And it has not been a faith without works because real faith is all about the works as demonstrated by winning seven conference games in a row now, five on the road. It has been nice to see someone be a leader in other ways then scoring. We have all heard how defense wins championships, and this year for the Zags that has never been truer. And defense, led by Steven Gray will bring the Zags another championshlp and another trip to the NCAA tournament. So I guess, I will also remember Steve, not only for his great shooting but for his toughness examplfied by tough defense and tough rebounding.

And in the end, I will remember him for his smile. He reminds be so often that basketball, above all else, is a game to enjoy playing, and he certainly does enjoy it. And if I were closer to the team and knew Steve better, I would say that Steve is a really positive guy. He's a real encourager, not a screamer. I believe his positive attitude has also helped the team, especially in those dark and gloomy days. I would guess his postive attitude was a bright light leading the way.

NEC26
02-27-2011, 04:44 PM
My favorite game of Steven's was against #2 UConn in the BIS.

He was unstoppable.

+1 I was at that game and he was the only reason we were in that game he carried us. Should have won that game if it wasn't for a really poor pass and choice by Pargo.

fedwayzag
02-27-2011, 05:10 PM
Once and Future Zab. I noticed gray going into the huddle as well saying thank you, thank you. What a great moment and very heart felt from Steven. Easy to rally around guy like that.

FuManShoes
02-27-2011, 07:02 PM
Hitting seven threes against Davidson in his first NCAA game. Yeah, they got us in the end, but Steven was a big reason the Zags were in it.

JIMMYMAC
02-27-2011, 11:40 PM
Is that he ALWAYS has his teammate's backs. Gray himself takes a lot of sly abuses on the court without any response but the second one of his teammates is a victim he is right in the mix defending them. He did it countless times this year and it's my favorite attribute of Steven's.

adoptedzag
02-28-2011, 06:18 AM
I loved on the Mark Few show when they were interviewing Sacre, he was joking around and saying that Steven could be replaced. Rob's going to get a dog and name it Steve hah, classic moment.

Once and Future Zag
02-28-2011, 07:32 AM
Once and Future Zab. I noticed gray going into the huddle as well saying thank you, thank you. What a great moment and very heart felt from Steven. Easy to rally around guy like that.

It also shows how very seriously he takes his legacy at GU - not wanting to be part of the "Senior Class" where the streak ends.

ExtremeJim
02-28-2011, 07:42 AM
...because Keegan Hyland felt more comfortable wearing it, only to have the latter transfer out at mid-season?

How often does a senior do that?

ID ZAGFAN
02-28-2011, 07:56 AM
I'm sure he would have, but Keegan's number was 33, not 32.

ZaGranny

ExtremeJim
02-28-2011, 08:40 AM
I'm sure he would have, but Keegan's number was 33, not 32.

That would explain why no one other than me has been talking about it, then. Never mind.

cjm720
02-28-2011, 09:08 AM
Loved his 14 rebound game last year...