PDA

View Full Version : '07-'08 Scheduling musings

BobZag
06-13-2007, 10:25 AM
I realize the Battle in Seattle and Okie St. are not written in stone, but assuming there is a positive outcome:

Texas Tech, Michigan, Butler and Xavier (we'll probably play two in Alaska)
at Okie St.
at St. Joe's
at (sorta) UConn
at Memphis
Battle-Seattle foe (it's gonna be awesome if it doesn't fall through)
Wazzu
Georgia
Utah

I intentionally left off the Idaho's and PSU's. That's 9 to 10 non-league games. Three of those games could be against teams that will be ranked in the preseason top 10. Playing in Stillwater against Ok. St. is always tough, and St. Joe's at the Cracker Box fieldhouse won't be a pushover. Knight and Beilein are ace coaches. We saw what UGA did to us last season, UConn should be somewhat improved, etc.

If all of these teams end up being our opponents, I think Gonzaga needs to consider shutting the door and filling out the rest of the non-league schedule with Big Sky schools and cupcakes at K2. If we can get someone like DePaul to come to K2 this season, fine. But no more road games, and no more Spokane Arena games.

Also, an easy team at K2 after finals week in December, and no non-league opponent the week that WCC play starts. Avoid the UGA and Virginia disasters......please. I wish the Memphis game were in February instead of January, but I would still keep the Portland week empty in February. The Zags need some extra practice time at some point.

Your thoughts?

sonuvazag
06-13-2007, 10:32 AM
Yes. Save some challenges for the tournament... and some gas in the tank to get through them.

Nevtelen
06-13-2007, 11:08 AM
Agreed. Though I'd love for them to be at least halfway decent Big Sky schools. I guess the Griz are coming over, for one, so that should be okay - we should still beat them at home and they won't kill our SOS like (*sigh*) Idaho. Basically, we shouldn't play any (or maybe only 1) school that's over 250 RPI if we can help it.

And, if we have to play Idaho, please please please make them the game after finals week - the team could use an easy win about then.

Also, I'm sure this lesson was learned last year, I hope the away games aren't all clustered together (within reason) - we need some time on the road, then at home, then on the road...

tenniszag
06-13-2007, 11:28 AM
BZ- any dates set for those yet? I'm wondering most about BIS. Thanks.

cggonzaga
06-13-2007, 11:38 AM
Battle-Seattle foe (it's gonna be awesome if it doesn't fall through)

How about a hint!?!

LynetteG
06-13-2007, 11:40 AM
"Texas Tech, Michigan, Butler and Xavier (we'll probably play two in Alaska)"

PLEASE let it be Michigan and Xavier we play, and let GU WIN!!!!!!! Let GU smoke 'em!!!!!!!!!!!

ZagNative
06-13-2007, 12:44 PM

PLEASE let it be Michigan and Xavier we play, and let GU WIN!!!!!!! Let GU smoke 'em!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought Xavier opted out of the Great Alaska Shootout early - early enough to avoid the $50,000 buyout WSU has to pay for opting out too late. Can't find anything that says Xavier is back in. Is there something new on that?

sanfranzagsguy20
06-13-2007, 01:59 PM

i want another shot at butler...if gu played a little tigher on D (guarding the three anyone?) they would have had a better chance to have won that game...they had all of the momentum after upsetting UNC...they (butler) still have graves this season...it would be an interesting matchup...one I'd really like to see the Zags win for some revenge...

the more i look at this schedule...the more difficult it looks...i'd rather play the east coast squads on one trip...get it out of the way...no repeat of last season's cross country excursions...you'd have to think GU would drop at least one of them regardless of the travel schedule so why not do it all in one trip after finals before wcc play (save memphis)...seems like the guys would have a clearer head after finals then before...i know i do...just my thoughts

BobZag
06-13-2007, 02:17 PM
Road trips--

#1 Roadie: UConn in Boston and St. Joe's in Philly (hopefully one trip)
#2 Roadie: Okie State in Stillwater
#3 Roadie: Memphis in Memphis

This doesn't include Anchorage for three games. I think this is enough travel.

steventreich
06-13-2007, 06:32 PM
With regard to the Battle in Seattle, the whispers involve a Bulldog v. Bulldog matchup. And I don't mean University of Georgia...

ZagNut08
06-13-2007, 07:02 PM
nice...I have always wanted a crack at fresno state.

ZagNative
06-13-2007, 07:06 PM
With regard to the Battle in Seattle, the whispers involve a Bulldog v. Bulldog matchup. And I don't mean University of Georgia...

Or We have nothing to fear but Churchill College itself.

Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bulldog_mascots) offers us the following choices for universities with Bulldog Mascots. (We can rule out Butler, presumably, since we're playing in the Great Alaska Shootout with them):

* Alabama A&M University
* Bryant University
* Butler University
* California State University, Fresno (also known as Fresno State University)
* Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs
* Churchill College JCR, University of Cambridge
* The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina, a public college in South Carolina
* College of San Mateo in San Mateo, California
* Drake University
* Ferris State University
* Gardner-Webb University (the name is officially the Runnin' Bulldogs)
* Georgetown University (the team name is the Georgetown Hoyas, but the mascot is Jack the Bulldog)
* University of Georgia (mascot name is Uga)
* Gonzaga University
* James Madison University (the official mascot is the Duke Dog, an English Bulldog)
* Louisiana Tech
* University of Minnesota Duluth
* Mississippi State University (Bully)
* North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University (though called an Aggie)
* University of North Carolina at Asheville
* Samford University in Birmingham, Alabama
* South Carolina State University
* University of Puerto Rico at Mayaguez (Tarzan)
* University of Redlands
* Texas Lutheran University
* Trenton High School in Trenton, MO
* Truman State University
* Western Illinois University
* Wilberforce University
* Wingate University
* Yale University (See Handsome Dan)

Edited to add: I knew it! Wiki is bogus! Where's Fresno State on that list???? Fool me once ...

GorgeZag
06-13-2007, 07:29 PM
There's only one school on that list that would be an "awesome" opponent for this years BIS and that's Georgetown.

steventreich
06-13-2007, 07:33 PM
the word I hear involves another Catholic Bulldog, not Butler...

But let me also add that this is based on hearsay, not first hand information. I know the source, but don't know where his information comes from.

ZagNative
06-13-2007, 07:35 PM
Georgetown would be awesome, but who refers to Georgetown by the name of their mascot rather than by the name of the team, the Hoyas? Surely Stevenreich would not be so fiendishly devious ...

steventreich
06-13-2007, 07:45 PM
Georgetown would be awesome, but who refers to Georgetown by the name of their mascot rather than by the name of the team, the Hoyas? Surely Stevenreich would not be so fiendishly devious ...

fiendish and devious I am. On the cutting edge of accurate information... questionable. But the information about the BIS was passed along to me, and I couldn't forgo the opportunity to post it here in a slightly underhanded way.

ZagNative
06-13-2007, 07:54 PM
fiendish and devious I am. On the cutting edge of accurate information... questionable. But the information about the BIS was passed along to me, and I couldn't forgo the opportunity to post it here in a slightly underhanded way.

Far be it from ZN to ever question the credibility of a fan with 9 posts on the board. Thanks, oldtimer, for getting us the straight skinny! ;)

P.S. Out of the mouths of babes, I hope you're right!

steventreich
06-13-2007, 07:58 PM
just because my post count is low, doesn't mean that I don't check this board 10 times per day or have good connections. I actually do have decent connections. And sadly for my productivity at work, I do check this site at least 10 times a day.

BoltZag
06-13-2007, 08:25 PM
Is there a date set for Georgia in the arena? I presume it's part of the Ronald McDonald H.O.C. deal as Memphis was last year.

Remember all of those crazy white rally towels flying around? I still have cotton dust in my eyes.

And...cue the towels (http://youtube.com/watch?v=nCnh1mcXcd8)

zagster318
06-13-2007, 08:55 PM
There's a chance Green might return to the Hoyas. If so, they are the preseason #1 next year.

madness
06-13-2007, 09:02 PM
Gtown has come Northwest before. They played in Eugene.

I for one would absolutely go nuts during that matchup...my pops went there after GU, needless to say, they are our East Coast team. Bring back the 6 foul Big East rule for this game!

(madness crossing fingers until announcement of schedule)

zagster318
06-14-2007, 05:21 AM
Gtown has come Northwest before. They played in Eugene.

I for one would absolutely go nuts during that matchup...my pops went there after GU, needless to say, they are our East Coast team. Bring back the 6 foul Big East rule for this game!

(madness crossing fingers until announcement of schedule)

Yeah, my dad went to Georgetown for law school. He loves the Hoyas as much as I love the Zags.

mdZag23
06-14-2007, 11:12 AM
The word around campus and in the program is that the BIS game that BZ is talking about is with Georgetown.

Apparently, they want to do it but are not willing to commit to the date at this point.

Gonna be huge if it happens.

gamagin
06-14-2007, 11:46 AM
link is long and strong.

I know a handful of GU undergrads who went to lawschool at georgetown.

I'm sure the trail tween these two jesuit institutions and the S.J.'s who attended both schools and even taught at both, too, is well known, well marked and well worn.

OregonZag5
06-14-2007, 12:23 PM
That will be a great time in Seattle- just hope the date is better than last year and not close to New Years and Christmas

ZagNative
06-14-2007, 12:33 PM
Does anyone know whether UAB in K2 is possibly in the mix, as speculated on the UAB message board (http://www.ncaabbs.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=50089)?

Mike Davis says Schools avoid playing Blazers (http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/118120420856440.xml&coll=2). The article doesn't mention the Zags but says that ...he is seeking home-and-home series but would accept two road trips for one home game."

madness
06-14-2007, 05:02 PM
Unfortunately, I would not schedule any southern teams unless they're in the SEC or ACC at this point. At least Georgia qualifies. Playing UAB in a 2 home and 1 road doesn't even make sense. I would much rather play Clemson or Virginia again, that loss still stings.

The only silver lining is that UAB (used to) play GU (Pargo) style bball. They pushed the tempo and the NCAA tourney game between UAB and UW a few years ago was a classic. In my mind, the coaching might want to play a Mike Davis style team, as he slows the pace and makes you play D. If they were still the old UAB, GU would roll over them, it will be tough to run with the Zags this year.

ZagNative
06-14-2007, 06:11 PM
Do you suppose this story today in the Memphis Commercial Appeal is bad news, good news, or no news at all, in terms of the possibility of Georgetown traveling cross country for another tough away OOC game such as the Battle in Seattle?

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/tigers/article/0,2844,MCA_25363_5585890,00.html

Georgetown added to U of M schedule
By Dan Wolken
June 14, 2007

The University of Memphis is adding a home game with Georgetown, a potential preseason top-five team, and delaying its road game at Ole Miss for two years in a major shakeup of the 2007-08 schedule, according to a source close to the situation.

Though the University of Memphis has not received the signed contracts, the deal is done, according to the source. The contracts will be for a four-year, home-and-home series with Georgetown, which went to the Final Four last season and will return star center Roy Hibbert and possibly Jeff Green, who is currently in the NBA Draft but is eligible to withdraw and return to school.

Georgetown joins Arizona, Gonzaga and Tennessee as potential top-20 teams that will play in FedExForum this season. Memphis will also play USC in the Jimmy V Classic in New York.

ZagMan in Philly
06-15-2007, 06:30 AM
The road trip to play UCONN and ST.Joes will be a successful one. I believe we are better than those two clubs, if we come and bring our A game.

As an Eastcoast Zag, I can't wait to attend these two games...:D

Not out of the realm of reality, our Zags will be ranked #1 in the polls, during the 07-08 season...I made a friendly wager with my best man (he is an UCLA alumni, yikes) that we will be ranked #1 at some point during 07 season, and he said I am dreaming. What do you guys think?:)

sonuvazag
06-15-2007, 07:16 AM
I made a friendly wager with my best man (he is an UCLA alumni, yikes) that we will be ranked #1 at some point during 07 season, and he said I am dreaming. What do you guys think?:)
UCLA alum????? Best man????? What?????

That's a fun bet and it could happen. What may stop you is another team with talent and experience like Memphis having a good run at their early schedule and then coasting through their conference again. Or Georgetown dominating the Big East... and we play them both! (Lynette, I need your knock on wood emoticon)... if we win those two games and get a passing grade on the other tough matchups... yes, #1.

sittingon50
06-15-2007, 07:20 AM
This team is too young, IMHO. 08-09 may be another story, however.

ZagMan in Philly
06-15-2007, 07:33 AM
[QUOTE=sonuvazag;30829]UCLA alum????? Best man????? What?????

I got married 6 years ago...so it was before that uneventful game against them 2 years ago...he sends me the youtube link once in awhile about the ending of that game to me, just to get under my skin....sadly, it works everytime.

I hope someday soon, it will be payback time.:)

sonuvazag
06-15-2007, 07:59 AM
I hope someday soon, it will be payback time.:)
Amen. I hope it has something to do with Austin Daye torching them in the tourney since his dad went to UCLA... but I'll take it any way we can get it where they're on the court, we're on the court, and Bill Walton is watching in pain.

BobZag
06-15-2007, 02:10 PM
The Georgetown deal is dead. They chose Memphis. Now the Zags explore some other options. It'll still be a good game with a good opponent, just not the Hoyas.

former1dog
06-15-2007, 02:27 PM
The Georgetown deal is dead. They chose Memphis. Now the Zags explore some other options. It'll still be a good game with a good opponent, just not the Hoyas.

:mecry: :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:

Awwww crap, I was going to make the trip if they inked that one!

BobZag
06-15-2007, 02:59 PM
:mecry: :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:

Awwww crap, I was going to make the trip if they inked that one!

I hear ya. I guess it happened unexpectedly but Few understood and had nothing but good things to say about G-Town, Thompson, etc. Sounded like something with the Hoyas may happen in the future, just not this coming year.

Few was quite confident the BiS would still be good. He was not worried at all.

SLOZag
06-15-2007, 04:11 PM
OK, BZ, time for our next clue ...

Who is the top candidate for a beating at the hands of the Zags in the Emerald City?

madness
06-15-2007, 07:36 PM
I still think a Depaul BiS game this year with a return trip to Chicago (as CDC mentioned, the Pargo homecoming) makes sense. It's not as flashy as Gtown, but both teams are extremely hard working and tough. I think GU needs to play these type of teams before WCC play.

Otherwise, my short list would be some familiar foes: Stanford (Lopez Twins), Texas (still young and loaded), and Florida (not so familiar, but give two young teams a shot to revive the stunner in the NCAAs!)...

Aside: Any chance GU schedules Long Beach State in the next few years...I just picked up a sweet LB hat to support my lake neigbor DM. LBC in the HOUSE!

Bocco
06-15-2007, 09:15 PM
It would be nice to see a few more OCC games in the K2, and the staff will be able to arrange a few more home and home like we had against Stanford.

Its too bad that Georgetown BIS fell through but here's hoping that whoever we face in Seattle will be a Georgetown equivalent type team. Whoever it is I will make the drive.

CDC84
06-15-2007, 09:22 PM
My BCS pick for the BiS game for two years now has been Rick Pitino and his Louisville Cardinal. Pitino has a certain player that might like to play in front of family and friends at some point........just like a couple of the guys on last season's Nevada squad.

TM27
06-15-2007, 09:58 PM
I forgot all about Terrance Williams being a Rainer Beach alum (the amount of basketball talent from the NW streches all across America) ... but back to the subject at hand...How exciting would the Louisville vs. Gonzaga game be....oh man! Make it happen CDC and I will buy your ticket ;)

Butler Guy
06-16-2007, 05:41 AM
i want another shot at butler...if gu played a little tigher on D (guarding the three anyone?) they would have had a better chance to have won that game...they had all of the momentum after upsetting UNC...they (butler) still have graves this season...it would be an interesting matchup...

We'd gladly would play annually, if you'd like to.

Butler returns 5 of the teams 6 top scorers (including Graves) and has added 6 new players (5 available per 1/1) for '08.

Position - Rivals stars
PF - 4 stars - Matt Howard (will start, best HS post in Indiana - tore up Kevin Love in Vegas last year)
PG - 3 stars - Zach Hahn (6th or 7th man)
SF - 3 stars - Avery Jukes (Alabama transfer eligible 1/1, likely will start at the 4.)
C - 2 stars - Jermain Raffington (Germany)
SG - 2 stars - Shawn Vanzant (slasher from FL)
SG - 2 stars - Grant Leinendecker (3-point bomber)

---------------------------------------------------
We are very excited, this should be the team's finest season. The goal is the Elite 8, we have been to the S16 twice in the last 4 years and need to break through to that next level like you all did about 8 years ago.

GoZags
06-16-2007, 06:18 AM
What I find interesting is Butler's incoming 2 star guys would mystically be elevated to 3 stars had they chosen to attend Indiana (or any other school with a high level of Premium subscribers). And 3 stars would become 4 stars.

Butler isn't going anywhere -- and I'd love to hook up from time to time.

MickMick
06-16-2007, 10:20 AM
Hey Butler Guy, years ago, my best buddy in the Navy was from Indiana. I never paid much attention to basketball until I met him. I give him credit for introducing my interest.

He absolutely believes that the best high school basketball in the world is played in Indiana. He also believes that the most knowledgeable basketball fans in the world are from Indiana as well. And of course, he wouldn't have been my best Navy buddy if he wasn't a great dude in his own right.

Butler, Purdue, Indiana, and Indiana State all have respected if not storied basketball programs. I would like to see Gonzaga play any of those schools regularly.

Butler Guy
06-16-2007, 03:40 PM
Well, I agree with the passion thing. I've lived in Indiana since '96 (I'm originally from Chicago) and basketball is kind of religion here. A high school that supplies Butler with a lot of players, actually one is Zach Hahn from the' 07 class, is New Castle Chrysler. New Castle is a town of 18000 people, but has a high school gym that seats almost 10000. (You might have seen it on the MTV reality show) It's really kind of amazing. In terms of the best talent, I guess that might be true if you consider the relatively small size of the state. Greg Oden, Michael Conley, Eric Gordon, and E'twaan Moore in the last two years is hard to beat.