PDA

View Full Version : Steals leading to fastbreaks

FuManShoes
02-27-2011, 08:44 AM
I don't think I've ever seen a Zag team this proficient at jumping the passing lane, stealing the ball and converting fast breaks. In their last six games, the Zags have racked up:

USD - 14 steals
SMC - 8 steals
USF - 7 steals
SC - 6 steals
Pepp - 7 steals
LMU - 13 steals

Carter, Steven and Stocks are all doing a hell of a job picking off passes. My hope is this continues. My fear is better teams will pick up on this and start exploiting it with ball fakes and back cuts.

zag944
02-27-2011, 08:58 AM
Stockton's been making up for his size by gambling a lot more in the passing lanes, and doing a terrific job of it.

Gray hasnt had to shoulder so much of the offensive load with the emergence of a couple dudes, so hes been playing his best defense lately, like he did last year.

Meech has always done pretty well with the d.

Its making our defense quite formidable...next step is getting the big men to rotate out onto 3 point shooters properly.

Oregonzagnut
02-27-2011, 09:03 AM
Mike Hart has an effect on our entire defensive mindset rather than just being a stopper himself? :p Few putting him in for D is a statement to everyone that rebounding and defense will make or break us in March.

It is obvious Few has been stressing defense and it is leading to those increased defensive stats. Also playing the younger guys less, and having defined the best rotation is leading to more efficient stats on offense as well. Less mistakes too, and our "sloppy" periods are much shorter now.

IMHO.

Zagsker
02-27-2011, 10:00 AM
The aggressiveness is nice....but SD was absolutely atrocious with their passing

DADoZAG
02-27-2011, 10:15 AM
The aggressiveness is nice....but SD was absolutely atrocious with their passing

Perhaps, but the ZAGS weren't just getting in the passing lanes. The ZAGS are being much more agressive on D and it's paying off. (Still got that one big hole, though)

I guess the ZAGS as a team just needed to learn how to stand together before they could walk together and so on. Sam said it well, “..blood, sweat and tears.”

While Monday will be a well deserved celebration, I hope there’s time for this team to really learn to run together before it's done.

Steven Gray deserves it.

Go ZAGS!