• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EuroZag2010
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2010

Jerseys ;)

Just for fun-

I remember at the USF Craig & Heister asked how many jerseys have been retired well of course 2. My question is who's jersey would you like to see in the rafters ?

Also I was wondering is there a specific reason why we don't do the names on jerseys ?
    "I'm really excited. I'm excited to wear GONZAGA on my chest.
    -Kevin Pangos-

"You play to win the game, HELLO!?!- I dont care if you have any wins! You play to win the game "-Herm Edwards
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=IMk5sMHj58I
  • jim77
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

#3 Adam Morrison.

Why? POY for college basketball....spokesman for Diabetes....success against incredible odds.

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
      Administrator
      • Apr 2009

To this day, I am amazed that Jeff Brown's number has not been retired.

He was the conference player of the year and won the award as the top overall player/student in the country.

“No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• SunDevilGolfZag
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
        To this day, I am amazed that Jeff Brown's number has not been retired.

He was the conference player of the year and won the award as the top overall player/student in the country.

He was also on the PlayBoy Magazine All American Team -- the only issue of the magazine my wife has ever let me buy!

Comment

• gu03alum
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jim77 View Post
          #3 Adam Morrison.

Why? POY for college basketball....spokesman for Diabetes....success against incredible odds.
          A big plus 1. Morrison was the best player in college basketball the year he left.
          Bring back the OCC

Comment

• Thomas_Sutpen
            Kennel Club
            • Feb 2007

#3 Adam Morrison.

Respectfully disagree. The honor of a retired jersey should be reserved for those who hold degrees from GU.

Now if he comes back and finishes, like Turiaf, then he can be in the conversation.

Comment

• gu03alum
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Thomas_Sutpen View Post
              Respectfully disagree. The honor of a retired jersey should be reserved for those who hold degrees from GU.

Now if he comes back and finishes, like Turiaf, then he can be in the conversation.
              Should we get rid of the Bing Crosby Museum then?
              Bring back the OCC

Comment

• Hoopaholic
                • Mar 2008

1. how well the person played while in college
                2. what the player contributed to the college atmosphere while on campus
                3. how the player represented GU while attending
                4. what the player contributed to society after leaving GU
                5. how the player represented GU after leaving the college scene

Both Burgess and Stockton clearly have set themselves apart both as players and individuals in the game of basketball as well as LIFE and their contribution to society.

To me that is the framework for having your uniform hanging from the walls of GU
                The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• Thomas_Sutpen
                  Kennel Club
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gu03alum View Post
                  Should we get rid of the Bing Crosby Museum then?
                  Yes. His statue should be toppled and broken into little pieces, which should be buried throughout Spokane. All references to him should be excised from school records. All monies collected from him directly or from anyone who has ever seen his statue or museum should be returned. The Crosby Student Center should be burned to the ground; this should take place at night so that we can dance around the flames while screaming "Bing who?"

Comment

• Zagsker
                    Zag for Life
                    • Dec 2008

#3 Adam Morrison.

like another poster said, he doesn't even have his degree from GU.......and is his success in basketball really considered "success against incredible odds" because of his diabetes? I don't know a whole lot about diabetes but I know people who have it and it appears that if you are on top of things it is very managable.
                    I am working on being a more all around square.

Comment

• mgadfly
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Morrison left early, or I think he'd be a no-brainer. He could have been our first two time All-American, would have easily had the all-time scoring record, and the teams he was on won a ton of games. But he left early, so ...

Dickau came late, starting his career at the UW. He was awesome while he was here, but I think retired jersey status should be reserved for 4 (or 5) year guys that have a major impact on an individual season and works their way up our career leader boards. That leaves the most likely candidates as:

1. Blake Stepp, career: top 10 scoring, top 5 steals, and #2 in assists. His junior season was one of the most dominating all-around performances by a GU player ever (we sometimes remember him for his senior season, which was very good, but it was his junior year that he was special).
                      1,670 career points, 501 rebounds, 640 assists, 152 steals

2. Matt Bouldin, career: top 10 scoring, top 2 steals, and top 5 assists. His junior season was incredibly efficient on both the offensive an defensive ends. His junior statistics are not eye-popping, 13.8 points, 3.4 assists, 4.1 rebounds, 1.5 steals, but his tempo-neutral offensive rating was 119.9 (Adam Morrison, Dan Dickau, J.P. Batista at their best type of number). Additionally, the 444 assists are remarkable considering he was never the primary guard at GU playing the #2 or #3 beside Pargo and Raivio for most of his time.
                      1683 career points, 534 rebounds, 444 assists, 170 steals

3. Ronny Turiaf, career: top 5 scoring, top 5 rebounds, #2 in blocks. Turiaf had three seasons where he averaged better than 15 points per game. Besides bringing energy to the court, he brought personality and an aggressive attacking style near the hoop. He was also an elite defender that blocked shots as well as anyone not named Daye or Calvary.
                      1723 career points, 859 rebounds, 179 blocks.

4. Casey Calvary, career: #1 shot blocker, top 10 rebounder. Calvary may get bonus points from me because he was part of the Elite 8 run and gave us the interior athleticism to match up with major conference teams. And this was at a time when no one thought we had the talent or players to do it (I think sometimes we forget how shocking/and fun our Cinderella season was on the basketball world). However, he did put together solid career numbers and at least one great statistical season.
                      1512 career points, 757 rebounds, 207 blocks.

Comment

• mgadfly
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zagsker View Post
                        like another poster said, he doesn't even have his degree from GU.......and is his success in basketball really considered "success against incredible odds" because of his diabetes? I don't know a whole lot about diabetes but I know people who have it and it appears that if you are on top of things it is very managable.
                        You don't know anyone who isn't on top of their type-1 diabetes because if they aren't, they are dead.

I don't know if "incredible" is the right word, but it is at least "remarkable" to someone that has represented many diabetics seeking work place accommodations. In sports, the opposition doesn't accommodate you and the stats keepers don't discount a poor performance because you were having problems with your medications/treatment.

Comment

• gu03alum
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

I'm still not sure why graduating from Gonzaga is so important for getting a number retired. The cream of the crop, best ever to play at GU are going to have opportunities to move on to the next level before their senior year. I have no problem with them doing that. As I stated above, he was the BEST player in college basketball. I don't think that anyone who played at Gonzaga has ever done that before (maybe Burgess but I don't know a whole lot about his career). He was to college basketball what Jimmer is this year.

Diabetes are very difficult to control depending on the person. I have a nephew who has to take shots and track his blood sugar constantly. It has definitely affected his ability to compete in high school basketball. I have a friend with diabetes who has been unable to control his disease and is currently receiving Kidney Dialysis. He has had close calls where the doctor wanted to amputate limbs. I think trivialization of diabetes is not fair to the many people who suffer from this disease.
                          Bring back the OCC

Comment

• adoptedzag
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gu03alum View Post
                            He was to college basketball what Jimmer is this year.
                            No, he wasn't. He was to College Basketball what JJ Reddick was the same year.

I love Mo, I think he represents spokane well. The good, the bad and the ugly. That being said, you have to be better than that as a person for me to support retiring your number. By retiring a number, you're saying "There will never be another like you" but if you look at college basketball, there's always another Jimmer, JJ Reddick, Adam Morrison, Nolan Smith, etc. What you do to represent yourself after you leave GU both professionally and personally to cement your legacy is the important part and what sets you apart from "Just another "best" college basketball player in X year.

Comment

• Just A Zag
                              Professional Zag Fan
                              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Thomas_Sutpen View Post

Turiaf did come back and finish...
                              D.F.T.B.A

Comment

Working...
                              X