PDA

View Full Version : article on gonzaga and other mid major recruiting

pbriz
06-12-2007, 05:48 PM
http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=682458

Nevtelen
06-12-2007, 06:26 PM
I've heard that Shelley is good (obviously with him in the Rival's top 100 and all), but the best perimiter scorer of the bunch - wow. He could give us a headache next season of our perimiter D isn't better. He'll fit right in at Pepp.

They had some really nice things to say about GU's recruits, too - there's the not-unexpected praise for Austin (rated as the best shooter in the group - not bad!), but what surprised me a little (in a really good way) was that they called Gray one of the top sleepers in the west. Not bad at all. Sacre's mention is nice, too.

CDC84
06-12-2007, 06:51 PM
There continues to be an enormous recruiting gap between Memphis and Gonzaga and the rest of the teams that aren't a part of the BCS leagues. NMSU got Pope, but the majority of their guys are still 2 star players.

It'll be interesting to see if Theus and Walberg at Pepperdine can keep the momentum going. I have a strong feeling that Walberg will. They are off to a really nice start given where those programs were at on the recruiting chain before they arrived on the scene. Shelley is going to be handful within the WCC. Pepperdine also has another wing type by the name of Jon Reed that can really stroke it, although he doesn't have the athleticism and overall package that Shelley does.

DoggieDogpound
06-13-2007, 08:36 AM
I think Billy Grier will give Walberg a good battle getting San Diego area talent like Tyrone Shelley. Grier may not be a better x's and o's coach than Brad Holland, but he should be a better recruiter. Guys like Chase Budinger and Jeremy Tyler (2010) are BCS types, but guys like Shelley and Jared Dudley (BC) should be recruitable out of their own backyard. I don't know about Shelley, but Holland never showed any interest in Dudley.

UberZagFan
06-13-2007, 10:38 AM
Three five-star players (Rose, Daye and Hamga) opted for non-power conference schools.

Pretty amazing to think GU snags one of the only three 5 star recruits not to pick a power conference school.

SLOZag
06-13-2007, 10:45 AM
Interesting that the author gave the nod to Sacre:
"Best strength: Robert Sacre, Gonzaga"
Even more interesting would be for him to get to know Ira Brown!

Seems to me we're doubly fortunate when it comes to strength in our recruits (and Gray doesn't look to be a slouch, either!).