• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FuManShoes
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Kevin Calabro: Zags are as good as anyone in the country

I was just listening to the radio here in seattle and sure enough Kevin Calabro starts gushing on the Zags, saying he's seen a lot of teams this year and the Zags are as good as most if not all of them. Jim Moore chimed in and said they look like a Sweet 16 team. I think they're overlooking some things. But it's nice to hear it. .... And now he's vociferously defending his stand!
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few
  • Robzagnut
    Zag for Life
    • Apr 2007

They certainly are peaking at the right time. A bounce here or there and this team can make a deep run.

It's going to be irritating if the Big East gets 11 teams in the tourney and the WCC only gets one.

Comment

• gamagin
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

The SMC game

was perfect timing for post season preperation. a gut check. a survival of the fittest and luckiest, clutch f.t. shooting, clutch play (Meech + SD + RS) and on and on.

Beat USD & win the conference championships, too, and the level of confidence will be just prime for the dance. As good as we can hope to get in 4 quick months and we are still growing, if the SMC game is any indication.
      Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
      Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
      Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

Good to hear that Seattle radio is actually supporting Gonzaga BB.

Comment

• U Zig, I Zag
          Zag for Life
          • Mar 2009

They legalize medical marijuana in King County already?

Zags have the individual players, I think, to hang with a few top teams - but putting it all together with smart passing, good D and exploiting opposition weaknesses is another thing.

One game at a time...

Comment

• Reborn
            Zag for Life
            • Oct 2007

Open your eyes and you'll see it's happening!!!! Some people just can't (or don't want to) believe!
            Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• DZ
              Zag for Life
              • Sep 2007

I love this team, really love the heart to come back from facing a 3-3 game on the road against UP with a loss making us 5th in the WCC with a 3-4 record and yet come back and have a chance for the title.

But:

I do have my eyes open and I have seen UCONN, Kansas, Texas, Pitt, Ohio State - - we may be a good or even great team, maybe one of the top 20 teams in the country, but we are not in that company above. But, hey, not many teams are.
              Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
              Mark Twain.

Comment

• TheZagPhish
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by U Zig, I Zag View Post
                They legalize medical marijuana in King County already?
                ____

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to U Zig, I Zag again.
                Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Comment

• Coptrdr
                  Bulldog Fan
                  • Feb 2011

They may be overlooking a few things....but if we can keep gelling through the conf. tourney there will be a few surprised teams in the dance. I'm liking what I'm seeing.....
                  It' only a game!! It's only a game!! It's only a game!! (words to live by, down by one, 4.6 ticks left. they have the ball!!)

Comment

• zagitarious
                    Kennel Club Material
                    • Jan 2011

i think we could compete with UConn

aside from ohio state, kansas, texas, and pitt..anyone, anytime, anywhere.
                    Zo Gags!!!

Comment

• MDABE80
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

This team finds its way to the Sweet 16 and I'll call it one of the biggest comebacks I've seen..ever!

Beginning to make its final gelling would do me proud! A little luck and if Same, Rob and Elias toughen up, it could happen. Unlikely but it could happen.

Comment

• VinnyZag
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

I think Callabro's mostly seen Pac-10 games and Seattle U games, so ...

Comment

• NovaZag
                          Kennel Club Material
                          • Nov 2009

I'd like to see more consistent scoring from Steve, Elias, and Rob before I entertain the idea of the Zags as something more than a 1st round ncaa tourney team.

Comment

• Reborn
                            Zag for Life
                            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
                            I love this team, really love the heart to come back from facing a 3-3 game on the road against UP with a loss making us 5th in the WCC with a 3-4 record and yet come back and have a chance for the title.

But:

I do have my eyes open and I have seen UCONN, Kansas, Texas, Pitt, Ohio State - - we may be a good or even great team, maybe one of the top 20 teams in the country, but we are not in that company above. But, hey, not many teams are.
                            UCONN just lost to Marquett at home. We beat Marquette on a neutral court. Notre Dame is in second place in the powerful Big East, and we nearly upset them on their home court. And Harris was still hurt. We also beat Xavier without Gray and Harris. Xavier just won their conference title with only one conference loss. I have never understood why ESPN fails to put up our win over Marquette as one of our good wins when they talk about our chances of making the NCAA tournament as an at-large team.
                            Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• GoZags
                              Super Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by VinnyZag View Post
                              I think Callabro's mostly seen Pac-10 games and Seattle U games, so ...
                              In person, perhaps.

Calabro got a "text" from a listener after making his GU proclamation. I didn't hear his original comment (discussed above). I DID hear his reaction to the incoming text, which said "Have you even seen Gonzaga play this year?"

He has seen a ton of GU basketball. He's seen a ton of the others. He's a basketball junkie.

What I find stunning about his comment -- I believe he's only seen the Zags in person once -- he did the Washington State -- GU game. We know how that turned out.

I believe he's referring to the talent, the chemistry and the gelling of the Zags.

I thought it was pretty cool.
                              sigpic
                              “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                              ——-
                              List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                              Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

Working...
                              X