PDA

View Full Version : What's Adam Been Up To?

ZagNative
06-12-2007, 05:47 PM
Someone mentioned the other day that he/she'd spotted Adam out and about here in Spokane. I got to wondering what he'd been up to, especially since we haven't talked about him much of late, and so I embarked on some internet stalking. Here's what I found about what he's been up to and what some of his plans for coming days might be:

In Shanghai, China May 24, at the adidas superstar camp Thursday May 24, 2007, per the Bobcats' website (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/teams/photo?photoId=1584002&team=cha):

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/XEH10505241040.jpg
"NBA stars Adam Morrison of the Charlotte Bobcats, right, and Martell Webster of the Portland Trail Blazers, left, play before a training session of the adidas superstar camp Thursday May 24, 2007 in Shanghai, China. Morrison and Webster participate in the camp to give lessons to 61 young basketball players from around Asia. (AP Photo/Eugene Hoshiko)"

More photos of Adam at the Shanghai camp, with some great-looking Chinese kids (http://legacyeditorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/FrameSet.aspx?s=EventImagesSearchState%7c0%7c1%7c-1%7c28%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c1%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c74229060%7c0% 7c0%7c0%7c31072%7c0%7c%7c%7c574190544460174327%7c0 %7c0%7c0%7c0&p=2&tag=5)

Adam to be in Long Beach this Saturday, June 16, for American Diabetes Association EXPO (http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/958793/american_diabetes_association_expo_arrives_in_long _beach_saturday_june/index.html?source=r_health)

This highly interactive event includes a personal appearance by professional basketball player Adam Morrison of the Charlotte Bobcats, sponsored by the makers of OneTouch.

Meanwhile, stories like the one today in the Bellingham Herald (http://www.bellinghamherald.com/sports/story/102494.html) continue to show how much Adam did for youngsters dealing with diabetes each time TV cameras showed him checking his blood and giving himself shots at courtside for the Zags.

His father said he won’t forget David’s reaction when he saw how former Gonzaga University basketball All- American Adam Morrison coped with the disease.

“One day, David was watching him playing on TV,” Garland said, “and when he was off the court, David said to me, ‘Look, Dad! He’s checking his blood!’”

David was pretty excited to see such a great athlete overcoming diabetes. Now he would like to have a younger guy say the same thing about him some day.

If, as Mike DeCourcy said, "Morrison has made Gonzaga a ‘cool’ spot (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13663100/)," he's perhaps more importantly made diabetes less "uncool" for young folks like 11-year-old David Burnham.

Team USA Tryouts and Practice coming up in Las Vegas (http://www.usabasketball.com/seniormen/2007/07_msnt_player%20adds-may%2023.html).

USA Basketball also announced Wednesday the 2007 training plans for its Senior National Team. The USA Seniors will conduct a three-hour practice on July 20 and on July 21, and will conclude the mini-camp on July 22 with the 2007 State Farm USA Basketball Challenge that will see the USA Senior Team divided for a Blue-White game. The game will be held at Thomas & Mack Center (game time to be announced).

The USA's July mini-camp will be utilized to determine finalists for the USA squad that will compete Aug. 22 -Sept. 2 in the FIBA Americas Championship 2007 that is also being held in Las Vegas.
Following a three-week break, the selected USA finalists will reconvene in Las Vegas on Aug. 13 for the start of the final phase of the team's 2007 training. The USA team will train daily Aug. 13-21 in preparation of the FIBA Americas Championship 2007.

USA Basketball Men's Senior National Team Managing Director Jerry Colangelo officially announced Wednesday in Las Vegas, Nev., the addition of Carlos Boozer (Utah Jazz); Tyson Chandler (New Orleans Hornets); Kevin Durant (University of Texas); Jason Kidd (New Jersey Nets); Mike Miller (Memphis Grizzlies); Greg Oden (Ohio State University); Tayshaun Prince (Detroit Pistons); and Deron Williams (Utah Jazz) to the Senior National Team roster.

Colangelo also confirmed that seven USA Senior National Team players would be unavailable to compete this summer because of injuries. Those players included Gilbert Arenas (Washington Wizards); Joe Johnson (Atlanta Hawks); Brad Miller (Sacramento Kings); Lamar Odom (Los Angeles Lakers); Chris Paul (New Orleans Hornets); Paul Pierce (Boston Celtics) and Dwyane Wade (Miami Heat).

[B]FIBA Americas Championship 2007
The FIBA Americas Championship 2007, featuring 10 men's national teams, is one of five FIBA Olympic qualifying zone tournaments and will determine the two men's teams from the Americas zone who will earn a qualification spot for the 2008 Olympic Games that are being held Aug. 8-24 in Beijing, China. The third, fourth and fifth place finishers will qualify for the 12-team 2008 FIBA World Olympic Qualifying Tournament, July 7-13, 2008, site TBD, that will qualify the final three teams for the 2008 Olympics.

The USA was placed in the FIBA Americas Championship Group B and will open play against Venezuela on Aug. 22, followed by games against the U.S. Virgin Islands on Aug. 23, Canada on Aug. 25 and Brazil on Aug. 26. Placed into Group A were Argentina, Mexico, Uruguay, Panama and Puerto Rico.

If Adam makes the USA squad and JP the Brazil squad, this could be fun.

Dealing with the Media (http://www.profantasysports.com/easycite/ros.php?PID=6757). The last half of the NBA season had to be difficult for Adam, as he hit the freshman wall with a vengeance. It was nice to find this recent article, disputing some recent negative press about Adam:

Morrison averaged 11.8 ppg, 2.9 rpg and 2.1 apg, totals that don’t make you gag, but far short of what people had envisioned, and certainly less than what people expected after being named NBA Rookie of the Month after the season’s first 30 days. Let’s remember this, though; Morrison came into the NBA as a “shooter,” which in my opinion is the toughest chore for a rookie to handle that first year. Shooting the ball in college is far different than shooting it in the NBA. The defensive players are better, the game is far faster, the expectations are greater, and I swear I think the rims are tighter. Regardless of the reasons, “shooters” usually take a couple years to get their offensive bearings in the NBA – and that’s something you saw with Morrison on a game-by-game basis.
In my mind Morrison presents some intriguing fantasy possibilities simply because he will last so much longer on draft day than he did this year. He’s not just a shooter, he’s a basketball player, so I would certainly expect assists, steals and boards to rise, as well as his field goal and 3-point percentages. But because he is a shooter and a high draft choice, he’ll be given the minutes to sort out his game early. I expect it will happen and he’ll be a steady fantasy contributor with many more nights like his Dec. 30 outburst of 30 points and six boards against Indiana.

There now. I feel better. Maybe I can look again, only slightly wistfully, at my favorite video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn9MsWmu0lQ) of some of Adam's last year with the Zags, put together by one of our own great posters on this board, who shall be nameless until he steps up and says it's okay to break his anonymity and gives us an update on when he's going to announce release of a retrospective for last season.

Akzag
06-12-2007, 06:13 PM
Thanks for all of the legwork Native ... and for sating some of my curiousity during this interminable off-season.

MBZags
06-12-2007, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the post! :)

Please don't go digging up about me on the Internet, stalker. Heh, just kidding. ;)

gamagin
06-12-2007, 06:55 PM
A fine report. well done. thanks.

best regards,

mendiant
06-12-2007, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the update.

I've been wondering what Adam is up to. :)

That man is pretty darn close to Johnny Depp handsome...give him a few years. ;)

GO ZAGS

meadgrad02
06-12-2007, 08:45 PM
I've talked to him a few times in the past couple weeks up north at Fizzie's. It's our mead alumni bar basically.

ZagNative
06-12-2007, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the update.

That man is pretty darn close to Johnny Depp handsome...give him a few years. ;)

GO ZAGS

I think you're right about the Depp thing, but didn't we hope for better for the Stache by now? Still a bit wispy.

Has anyone heard anything about the Dan Dickau Classic - specifically, whether Dan plans to continue it this year? I couldn't see anything on the Dan Dickau Classic website. Last year, it was held on July 27, which might fit in with what I know about Adam's commitments - admittedly not much.

Is it safe to assume he will be or has been working out with some of the Zags and recruits? At camp?

In any event, I hope he's getting plenty of chances to relax. That guy looks like he "works hard for the money, honey."

Zag79
06-12-2007, 11:01 PM
playing cards at big daddys... :D

Gonezagaga
06-12-2007, 11:41 PM
He is also driving a super sweet mid 60's convertible chevy. I think it was an Impala. Nice car.

soonerterp
06-12-2007, 11:53 PM
Nice stuff thanks for the update.

I knew he was in China (with the Trail Blazers' Martell Webster) on behalf of adidas but not much else.

thickman1
06-13-2007, 06:40 AM
Thanks for the update.

GO ZAGS

I think he looks like a caucasian version of Snoop Dog. :D

ZagNative
06-13-2007, 12:07 PM
Adam at Fizzies and Big Daddys ... Is there still bowling at Big Daddys?

It would be nice if we could have a policy for Adam of ....

"WHAT HAPPENS IN THE 'KAN STAYS IN THE 'KAN!"

....Spokane as "Sanctuary," where he can be himself and trust no one will rat him out ... while still keeping those of us who can be "trusted" :o fully informed about sightings and doings and cool rides.... In a perfect world ....:confused:

drnoe
06-13-2007, 12:16 PM
http://www.presstelegram.com/sports/ci_6118403

From the PT...

Adam Morrison of the Charlotte Bobcats (wow ... I nearly wrote "Hornets") is scheduled to appear at the American Diabetes Association-hosted Diabetes EXPO Saturday (10 a.m. to 4 p.m.) at the Long Beach Convention Center.

Admission is free.