PDA

View Full Version : Rpi

23dpg
02-25-2011, 07:09 AM
I know RPI is not absolutely scientific, but how does our RPI (according to ESPN Insider) fall from 68 to 75 with a win vs. St. Mary's last night?

This makes zero sense.

U Zig, I Zag
02-25-2011, 07:23 AM
I know RPI is not absolutely scientific, but how does our RPI (according to ESPN Insider) fall from 68 to 75 with a win vs. St. Mary's last night?

This makes zero sense.

As St. Marys kept losing it kept dropping (theirs). We (lower) beat them (higher) and that didn't help. Thought the Marq win over UConn would have helped.

Some of the blogs I follow are (and some CBS folks) are saying Zags are in if they can beat USD and get at least one win in the WCC tourney. I tend to agree. SMC played themselves out of an at large last night. SMC had a better year in '09 (? was it ?) and didn't get an at-large. They say when you lose doesn't matter (as in a season timeline) - but teams that end on winning streaks vs teams that end 5-5 or whatever seem better choices for the dance, imho.

Zagquette
02-25-2011, 07:40 AM
I was just looking at our tournament resume from last year and this year and I have trouble finding much of a difference.

Last year, we surprised everyone and rode the Maui Tournament Championship all the way to March and a national ranking. But at a second look, those wins weren't that great. In fact our six "good" out-of-conference wins from last year fit the profile or our three "good" wins this year....Good teams that are borderline tournament teams.

Obviously we have more losses, but they are by far better losses. Especially in conference. The 2011 USF and SCU teams are much better than the LMU and USF teams from last year.

We talk about this team being "the worst team since the 90's NIT days," but with Dower and Carter coming on, I would argue that we have a better team this year. Am I crazy?

GoZags
02-25-2011, 08:00 AM

This makes zero sense.

Palm's www.collegerpi.com (Premium) has GU at 63 and SMC at 56 after last night's game.

Last night he (Jerry Palm) tweeted that SMC's RPI had dropped 25 spots over their past three games.

WallaWallaZag
02-25-2011, 08:07 AM

This makes zero sense.

not possible...road wins count big time in the rpi formula, especially against opponents who also raise your sos rating, so either espn made a mistake or you made a mistake.

FieldHouseFishHouse
02-25-2011, 09:50 AM

This makes zero sense.

The RPI is a formula, so in a sense it is absolutely scientific.
ESPN probably updates their calculation a few times a day. IUPUI and EWU lost yesterday (though Marquette won), my guess is they updated some games but not others, and had not added the GU/SMC game yet (late start).

Teams also can move past a stationary GU in the RPI, remember the "RPI" is a rank, which can change even you and your opponents don't play.

FieldHouseFishHouse
02-25-2011, 10:01 AM
RealTimeRPI just updated (for the non-elite...whatever)

GU - 63 between Richmond and VTech
SMC - Tied for 56 with Marshall, just behind Dayton

It's a real cluster**** on the bubble. Between 50-70 everyone has something wrong with their profile, but with four extra spots some of these teams will grab at-large bids.

SMC's RPI should improve. They play Portland, now a 20-win team, they will probably get winning teams in each of their two WCC tourney games, then they finish with Weber State who is projected at 15-10.
A 3-1 finish should get them a nice seed in the NIT.