PDA

View Full Version : Meech block on MM

scrooner
02-24-2011, 10:23 PM
Anyone else see Meech block that layup by Mickey at the end? No mention of it by the announcers, but watching it in slo-mo it appears clear to me that Meech taps the ball from behind.

Zag@LMU
02-24-2011, 10:25 PM
G unit of the Game if that is the case :P

ZagsObserver
02-24-2011, 10:28 PM
I did see that...it was a big-time play. There were a few big-time plays in this game. Carter's three at the end of regulation was huge (probably the play of the game), Dower's fts, Sacre's defense, Gray's awareness (5 steals for the game), and Harris' explosiveness made the difference. We needed them all in this game.

Santangelo_for_3
02-24-2011, 10:30 PM
I was thinking that when they showed the replay. If so huge play, so many of them tonight by everyone. Great great game and win!

Birddog
02-25-2011, 03:38 AM
If he did, it's almost as big a play as his coast to coast vs WKU when he was a frosh. HUGE

MedZag
02-25-2011, 04:08 AM
I thought he tipped it, personally. Watch the rotation of the ball when Meech's hand "passes in front of it". Was surprised the announcers didn't mention it.

Birddog
02-25-2011, 04:24 AM
Was surprised the announcers didn't mention it.

That's a joke right? Those guys missed tons of stuff while they went over their "story lines" except of course when they gave high marks to the officiating crew whenever possible. Give me Homer and Jethro any day.

NEC26
02-25-2011, 04:34 AM
That's a joke right? Those guys missed tons of stuff while they went over their "story lines" except of course when they gave high marks to the officiating crew whenever possible. Give me Homer and Jethro any day.

I liked Bardo wish he was still doing the WCC games.

GoZags
02-25-2011, 04:36 AM

Out of curiosity, how did the first GU v SMC game end?

I wish they would have talked about it, or maybe shown the replay. (I ran out of fingers and toes counting the number of times I saw the last 10.2 seconds of the first game.)

Birddog
02-25-2011, 04:38 AM

Your sarcasm is palpable (I like that word) and soooooo unseemly.

ZagLawGrad
02-25-2011, 06:00 AM
Meech worried me when MM went by him so quick, but great recovery. If Meech didn't tip that shot, he disrupted the finish enough to make a difference.

We all know (despite the debate this season) that Meech a GAMER. 110 percent, all the time.

Knotsolucky
02-25-2011, 06:18 AM
I wish they would have talked about it, or maybe shown the replay. (I ran out of fingers and toes counting the number of times I saw the last 10.2 seconds of the first game.)

I couldn't agree more GoZags...:enraged:

I'll take Heister and Ehlo any day...

timgozags
02-25-2011, 06:25 AM
Meech played very well yesterday. He didn't turn over much, made some huge shots, and played defense very well.

cjm720
02-25-2011, 06:26 AM
Fantastic game by Meech! Our back court is playing quite nicely these days...

Go Zags!!!

adoptedzag
02-25-2011, 07:30 AM

+1 fo shizzle.

CDC84
02-25-2011, 07:35 AM
The bottom line is that whether it was Meech, Stockton or Carter guarding him, McConnell only scored 15 points on 5-12 shooting. 1-3 from the three point line. If I could point to only one thing that won the game, that would be it.

Hoopaholic
02-25-2011, 07:47 AM
slow motion expanded clearly shows he tipped the layup. you see the ball move from MM hand.

Stockton never guarded MM....Goodson, MC and Mike Hart only ones who lined up to cover MM

the only made 3 ball shot was on a step back move against MC.

Goodson ran him ragged and in my opinion was the reason we had the ability to win the game. Simply put MM had no opportunities to take a 3 ball while Goodson was on him and the one he did take was a wild shot over Sacre and Goodson.

SMC even tried at times to get the b all out of MM hand and create ENTRY passes into MM coming off staggered double and one time a triple screen and Goodson was right in his hip pocket denying the opportunity.

Overtime Goodson got us moving again...basket, defensive rebound, defensive stop on MM and we had a 5 point lead.

Hidden defensive gem of the game was Goodson and the reason we had the opportunity to win this game.

rijman
02-25-2011, 08:19 AM

+1!

How many times can they show the same highlight? After the first dozen times I think I got it. Thank god they'll have highlights from the 2nd game to show if the Zags play SMC in their tourney.

UberZagFan
02-25-2011, 11:59 AM
Meech played his butt off against the WCC POTY and held him in check. Many on this board said the key to the game was holding MM in check (most, Uber included, said just hold him to his season average) and make the rest beat you. The way Jones and Della played, they almost pulled it out. But Meech has to get a lot of the credit for fulfilling that key to the game.

Ditto 10xs over.

Zag4Hire
02-25-2011, 12:25 PM
Defensively, he was huge. You could tell early on he was getting under MM's skin. However, dumping down to the post and forcing the issue on fastbreaks drives me nuts.

MedZag
02-25-2011, 01:49 PM
Meech love bump.

hondo
02-25-2011, 02:10 PM
I love what Meech brings to the game and have been a fan of his for the whole time he has been here. MM would never have missed that lay in by as much as it appeared if Meech had not got a finger or 2 on the ball. However how did Meech get beat so badly early in that play where MM goes right by him to the hoop?
It was sort of like the great play in the SCU game where David gets beat by Foster only to block Fosters shot from behind which was a huge event in that game.
Sometimes I guess it's better to be lucky.

ZagsObserver
02-25-2011, 02:16 PM
...the only difference is that if it was David several posters on this forum would have been clamoring about how Stockton gets beat off the dribble and got lucky by barely tipping the ball.

I think both Meech and David offer a lot the team. David's struggles on defense are overstated by many on this forum. Meech is an asset on defense and stockton is an asset on offense. I like Meech starting, and Stockton getting put in for the remaining 10-13 minutes of both halves.

bigblahla
02-25-2011, 03:03 PM
Meech played his butt off against the WCC POTY and held him in check. Many on this board said the key to the game was holding MM in check (most, Uber included, said just hold him to his season average) and make the rest beat you. The way Jones and Della played, they almost pulled it out. But Meech has to get a lot of the credit for fulfilling that key to the game.Ditto 10xs over.

Meech has found his comfort level and his confidence and it's showing.

Great job on the Mick.

Go!! Zags!!!

CDC84
02-25-2011, 03:22 PM
love what Meech brings to the game and have been a fan of his for the whole time he has been here. MM would never have missed that lay in by as much as it appeared if Meech had not got a finger or 2 on the ball. However how did Meech get beat so badly early in that play where MM goes right by him to the hoop?
It was sort of like the great play in the SCU game where David gets beat by Foster only to block Fosters shot from behind which was a huge event in that game.

It also shows that we have some guys who never give up on a play. You're going to beat sometimes, but how do you respond?

gamagin
02-25-2011, 03:32 PM
I love what Meech brings to the game and have been a fan of his for the whole time he has been here. MM would never have missed that lay in by as much as it appeared if Meech had not got a finger or 2 on the ball. However how did Meech get beat so badly early in that play where MM goes right by him to the hoop?

the heart of a lion. some of his biggest miscues come from trying too hard.

And all of his great moments, like this latest one, come from daring to keep on extending himself, never giving in to weariness or taking a break, and refusing to quit until the final buzzer. What a legacy.

LMUZAG
02-25-2011, 06:11 PM
the heart of a lion. some of his biggest miscues come from trying too hard.

And all of his great moments, like this latest one, come from daring to keep on extending himself, never giving in to weariness or taking a break, and refusing to quit until the final buzzer. What a legacy.

It takes a very mentally strong individual to continue to strive to elevate your play when you know every move you make will be broken down to the last degree by both coaches and fans. Keep it up Meech.