Thankfully you were DEAD WRONG.

MickMick
02-24-2011, 09:45 PM

So what happens if Zags lose in Vegas?

webspinnre
02-24-2011, 09:46 PM
DEAD WRONG.

Well, I hope you're right, but I still think this just keeps us barely on the right side of the bubble. Have to beat USD, have to win the semi-final, and have to have a similarly close game against SMC (no blowouts like last year). If any of those three don't happen, we've still got a good chance at ending up on the wrong side.

U Zig, I Zag
02-24-2011, 09:47 PM

Regardless, this can't hurt and it certainly has to boost the confidence of the players.

RenoZag
02-24-2011, 09:48 PM

Who knows . . .both teams played like NCAA tournament-worthy participants tonight.

DCZag
02-24-2011, 09:48 PM
I still think we may be looking at the WCC as a one bid league, especially with SMC faltering at the end.

TM27
02-24-2011, 09:50 PM
Still believe the zags are looking from the outside in if they lose in Vegas. SMC losing to Utah State + the slide was a bad deal for the WCC.

One game at a time...Billy up next

GUDan07
02-24-2011, 09:51 PM
I still think we may be looking at the WCC as a one bid league, especially with SMC faltering at the end.

+1

TacomaZAG
02-24-2011, 09:54 PM
We still need to beat USD on Saturday.

Based on tonight, I think Portland will beat SMC on Saturday and after we beat USD, we once again hold the title by ourselves. SMC will have nothing left on Saturday.

Regardless of tonight's win, we need to take care of business on Saturday, and win the WCC tourney to be sure. We have way too much baggage this year to be confident of an at-large. Not saying we can't get it, I just think the WCC is a one-bid league this year.

Great win tonight, beat USD on Saturday.

Go ZAGS

kclubfounder
02-24-2011, 09:55 PM
The conference championship streak is worth a heck of a lot more than some understand. That is primarily what I meant about the season not being entirely about Vegas. Many felt that was not a possibility before SMC lost to San Diego.

Plus, we are in most brackets PRIOR to this game, so OBVIOUSLY we have a real chance of getting in even if we lose in Vegas.

Bottom line: Many members truly felt there was nothing that really mattered except Vegas as of 2 weeks ago. They were wrong. Period.

seattlezag
02-24-2011, 09:58 PM
I also believe SMU will lose to Portland, just like after the last game against the Zags. They'll be worn out and deflated. Mar Few coached a brilliant game tonight, Dower is the MAN, and this team has gelled at the right time.

UberZagFan
02-24-2011, 09:58 PM
kclub: no one knows who is right or "dead wrong" at this point. And if GU wins Vegas, then no one will ever know.

All Uber knows is that he can't remember the last time a team with an RPI of 70 and SOS of 90 plus ever got an at-large bid. But who knows with an extra 3 teams in this year, this may be the year.

And of course, ESPN announcers are going to be praising the fact that they are watching two tourney teams. They always self-promote.

kitzbuel
02-24-2011, 10:01 PM
Zags got a nice boost from Marquette tonight. That RPI is gonna climb.

MickMick
02-24-2011, 10:03 PM
The conference championship streak is worth a heck of a lot more than some understand. That is primarily what I meant about the season not being entirely about Vegas. Many felt that was not a possibility before SMC lost to San Diego.

Plus, we are in most brackets PRIOR to this game, so OBVIOUSLY we have a real chance of getting in even if we lose in Vegas.

Bottom line: Many members truly felt there was nothing that really mattered except Vegas as of 2 weeks ago. They were wrong. Period.

Thanks to an unlikely win by San Diego, your dream survived.

I personally thought SMC was too good to lose that game. So for me, it was all about Vegas.

Now in hindsight, you can thumb your nose, say blah, blah, blah, and claim you knew all along this was going to happen.

But the truth is that this finish was improbable and there was a time where it certainly was all about Vegas.

When you don't control your own destiny. When you have to rely on the last place team to bail you out, then you aren't in a great position to say "I told ya so"

webspinnre
02-24-2011, 10:16 PM
I also believe SMC will lose to Portland, just like after the last game against the Zags. They'll be worn out and deflated. Mar Few coached a brilliant game tonight, Dower is the MAN, and this team has gelled at the right time.

Fixed that for you. SMU is in Texas.

DixieZag
02-24-2011, 10:25 PM
NCAA or not, we can all agree that IF we beat USD - and I think we will - the conference championship streak is a big big deal, just seeing our name after UCLA is something that can give you shivers. The players know it, the announcers knew it and SMC and their fans sure knew it, they had signs up at the game.

Just_An_Old_Zag
02-24-2011, 10:25 PM
What happens in Vegas is that we GU alums Show the SMC alums what it is to bring it...

It's been a long cold winter in eastern Washington..lets hope that vegas is in the mid 60's to 70's

We are in the Venetian and we are bringing Zag Pride

zagfan08
02-25-2011, 12:55 AM
Thanks to an unlikely win by San Diego, your dream survived.

I personally thought SMC was too good to lose that game. So for me, it was all about Vegas.

Now in hindsight, you can thumb your nose, say blah, blah, blah, and claim you knew all along this was going to happen.

But the truth is that this finish was improbable and there was a time where it certainly was all about Vegas.

When you don't control your own destiny. When you have to rely on the last place team to bail you out, then you aren't in a great position to say "I told ya so"

Exactly. For kcclubfounder, would you rather share the WCC title and miss the tournament or come in 2nd in league but make the tournament? For me, it's a no brainer. Thanks to San Diego, the worst team in the league, we have a chance to continue both streaks. But Vegas is the most important part of this season and we need to get the job done there. We'll be "in" according to most of the "experts" this week, but a loss in Vegas just sets the stage for Utah State to lose in the WAC tournament and/or Colorado State to upset SDSU or BYU in the MWC tourney and play themselves into the big dance. Let me tell you this.. there's not a Zag fan who would enjoy being on the bubble while watching it shrink during the conference tournaments. And our RPI, top 50 record, and SOS don't help a ton when compared to major conference teams (like Marquette, who despite losing to us will still make it in before us). To me, it's still Vegas or bust, and if we can take care of business in San Diego and share (or win) the regular season that would merely be icing on the cake.

Zag@LMU
02-25-2011, 01:12 AM
What happens in Vegas is that we GU alums Show the SMC alums what it is to bring it...

It's been a long cold winter in eastern Washington..lets hope that vegas is in the mid 60's to 70's

We are in the Venetian and we are bringing Zag Pride

It was 70's all winter in L.A. but now that late-Feb has rolled around, were seeing low 60's :(

I would imagine LV will be a few degrees warmer but I wouldnt cross your fingers for the thermometer touching much more than the high 60's

Just_An_Old_Zag
02-25-2011, 05:58 AM
It was 70's all winter in L.A. but now that late-Feb has rolled around, were seeing low 60's :(

I would imagine LV will be a few degrees warmer but I wouldnt cross your fingers for the thermometer touching much more than the high 60's

Still enjoying the afterglow of last nights game......

But...IT's 10 friggin degrees in Walla Walla this morning, 60 sounds like heaven.

Jimmy Buffet take me away...

This morning I shot six holes in my freezer.
I think I got cabin fever.
Somebody sound the alarm.
Twenty degrees and the hockey games on.
Nobody cares; they are way too far gone,
screamin' "Boat drinks," somethin'
to keep them all warm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw4xI4xkeyo

titopoet
02-25-2011, 06:06 AM
I still think that winning in Vegas is very important for three reasons.

First, you don't want to give the selection committee any chance of keeping out the Zags. Every year there is a team that says they got robbed; the Zags don't want to be that team. (Can anyone think a 10 lose team from the WCC will be in? GU would have ten if they lose in the Vegas and I can see a MSU team with 13 losses getting in over GU. Don't underestimate Politics within the Selection committee, remember they dropped GU to the 8 line last year when most bracketologies had them 5 or 6 line.)

Second, even if they are selected, they would be part of the first four. (They win and they are not.) To make it into the sweet sixteen then is wining 3 games in five days. Not the best scenario fro success in March.

Finally, winning in Vegas gives them momentum going into the NCAAs.

Nothing will changes for Vegas. Got to go to Vegas in with the attitude of win or out.

Das Zagger
02-25-2011, 06:59 AM

Did they announce the tourney teams today?

ZagLawGrad
02-25-2011, 07:03 AM
I do believe the winner in Vegas will be the only WCC invite.

I'm hoping SMC crashes and burns early, and of course that the Zags play well enuf to win it all in Nevada.

I really don't think we want to pay SMC one more time if at all possible.

cjm720
02-25-2011, 07:10 AM

If you're talking about making the tournament, I disagree. RPI above 60 is cutting it close...we need to win the WCC tournament.

Last night we took care of business and kept the real streak alive...let's continue to roll and crush the WCC in the tournament.

rijman
02-25-2011, 08:12 AM
But Vegas is the most important part of this season and we need to get the job done there. We'll be "in" according to most of the "experts" this week, but a loss in Vegas just sets the stage for Utah State to lose in the WAC tournament and/or Colorado State to upset SDSU or BYU in the MWC tourney and play themselves into the big dance. Let me tell you this.. there's not a Zag fan who would enjoy being on the bubble while watching it shrink during the conference tournaments. And our RPI, top 50 record, and SOS don't help a ton when compared to major conference teams (like Marquette, who despite losing to us will still make it in before us). To me, it's still Vegas or bust, and if we can take care of business in San Diego and share (or win) the regular season that would merely be icing on the cake.
+1

Last thing I want is to be a bubble team watching the conference tourneys rooting for all the favorites knowing any one upset could knock the Zags out. Let's win in Vegas to guarantee our spot in the NCAA's.

U Zig, I Zag
02-25-2011, 08:17 AM
In KClub's defense, I think this has more to do with that we had a collective 'season is over' type vibe going on after the 3 game skid and it was deemed the only way in was an old school underdog WCC tourney win. That still may be the case... but if you follow the talking heads the win last night has improved our at-large TREMENDOUSLY.

It still may be a Vegas thing... but overall it's looking better after last night.

UberZagFan
02-25-2011, 11:25 AM
There's just a difference in importance that some place on the WCC title versus making the NCAA tourney. Uber is on the side that making the tourney is more important (as well as the tourney streak). IUHO, the goal is to make the tourney and in the process, do as much as possible to garner a high seed.

If some other team won the regular season WCC but GU still made the tourney and won two games, Uber will take that any day over winning the regular season WCC and not making the tourney. And Uber's sure that Florida fans weren't sweating the fact LSU won the SEC in 2006. Doubt any Gator stated while the players were cutting down the nets, "yeah, but we didn't win the regular season conference this year!"

zagfan08
02-25-2011, 11:41 AM
Agreed, Uber. I also think the tourney streak carries much more weight in recruiting impact players. Our league already sets us back, I'd bet more top 100 guys care about making the tourney and getting tourney exposure over winning a regular season title every year in what is largely considered a subpar league.

But I respect those that place a bigger importance on the regular season than the tournament, from his comments it seems like Coach Few is in that group as well. I love the fact that we're a win away from at least sharing the title, I'd just rather make the tournament than anything else. I think the NCAA tournament has a special importance and I'm in the group that would rather lose in the 1st round of the NCAAs than win the NIT.

Hoopaholic
02-25-2011, 11:45 AM
I want to focus on winning saturday and getting our 11th WCC Title moving the program into SECOND alone for consecutive titles, chasing the famed UCLA program....imagine that in the same sentence

After saturday, then it is time to focus on the WCC tournament but not until sunday in my book do I start worrying about WCC tournament.

bigblahla
02-25-2011, 11:49 AM
I want to focus on winning saturday and getting our 11th WCC Title moving the program into SECOND alone for consecutive titles, chasing the famed UCLA program....imagine that in the same sentence

After saturday, then it is time to focus on the WCC tournament but not until sunday in my book do I start worrying about WCC tournament.

I'm with you Hoop take down USD.

Go!! Zags!!!

zagfan08
02-25-2011, 12:04 PM

I hope the players and coaches share your mindset. As a fan, however, I see no problem at looking at the big picture.

zagitup
02-25-2011, 12:21 PM
I still think that winning in Vegas is very important for three reasons.

First, you don't want to give the selection committee any chance of keeping out the Zags. Every year there is a team that says they got robbed; the Zags don't want to be that team. (Can anyone think a 10 lose team from the WCC will be in? GU would have ten if they lose in the Vegas and I can see a MSU team with 13 losses getting in over GU. Don't underestimate Politics within the Selection committee, remember they dropped GU to the 8 line last year when most bracketologies had them 5 or 6 line.)

Second, even if they are selected, they would be part of the first four. (They win and they are not.) To make it into the sweet sixteen then is wining 3 games in five days. Not the best scenario fro success in March.

Finally, winning in Vegas gives them momentum going into the NCAAs.

Nothing will changes for Vegas. Got to go to Vegas in with the attitude of win or out.

But also, let's not underestimate TV ratings.

This hasn't been thrown out there yet in regard to the criteria the selection committee uses to pick its at-large teams, but television ratings bring in the $$, and the $$ means EVERYTHING. How often does the NCAA get a cherry marketing opportunity like they could have this year with Gonzaga, the team with the son of JOHN STOCKTON on it as a huge contributor to its success?

Am I crazy, or could this have an impact on their decision?