PDA

View Full Version : Great college basketball game

VinnyZag
02-24-2011, 09:39 PM
That was a remarkably well played, entertaining college basketball game. Both teams and the league can be proud with how SMC and GU competed.

We'll be doing this again in Vegas.

krozman
02-24-2011, 09:41 PM
Two senior leaders foul out.
Everyone plays their hearts out.

Truely an epic battle to continue the conference winning streak.

NOW WIN THE NEXT ONE.

Hoopaholic
02-24-2011, 09:42 PM
gotta love college basketball

RenoZag
02-24-2011, 09:42 PM
Go Pilots !!

rawkmandale
02-24-2011, 09:43 PM
Truly a great game - nice to come out on top.

DCZag
02-24-2011, 09:44 PM
Take that all you naysayers and SMC butt smoochers!

gamagin
02-24-2011, 09:47 PM
said both teams belong in the dance. nice thing to say. it really was the kind of game fans like to watch. a nail biter. right down to the last shot.

Just what made the Zags a cinderella favorite. SMC brought it, too.

1973Zag
02-24-2011, 09:49 PM
That was a heavyweight title fight! Fantastic effort by both, and the refs let em play- can't ask for more in a college bb game. They both belong in the big dance. WOW!

zagking
02-24-2011, 09:51 PM
So much better than any NBA game I've seen in awhile. I love college ball!

Birddog
02-24-2011, 09:53 PM
The announcers disappointment with the outcome was palpable. Those tools wanted a changing of the guard, it was their story line all night.

Bocco
02-24-2011, 09:56 PM
A great game by both teams, made even better by a Zag win, a great game to showcase the WCC's two best teams, and one of those games that make college basketball special.

rijman
02-24-2011, 09:59 PM
Great game and even better outcome. I'm looking forward to a rematch in Vegas, but how many times do I have to sit through highlights of MM's winning shot in their first game??? At least they'll have highlights from tonights win to show, which I will happily watch over and over.

FuManShoes
02-24-2011, 10:11 PM
Tied at the half, tied at the end of regulation, huge shots from veterans and freshmen alike, both squads near 50% from the field and 80% from the FT line. Yep, that was a great game. Now, if only the refs had performed as well! ####### WCC is an officiating bush league.

madness
02-24-2011, 10:14 PM
Great game and even better outcome. I'm looking forward to a rematch in Vegas, but how many times do I have to sit through highlights of MM's winning shot in their first game??? At least they'll have highlights from tonights win to show, which I will happily watch over and over.

I looked down during those replays...focused on the fts...GREAT GAME ZAGS@!!!!!!

Once and Future Zag
02-24-2011, 10:16 PM
Reminded me (in some ways) of the GU/AZ game.

Rio Runner
02-24-2011, 10:16 PM
Terrific game. I was on pins and needles the entire time.

And big kudos to Mark Few. He coached a heck of a game tonight.

fedwayzag
02-24-2011, 10:24 PM
I thought the refs did pretty well tonight. Did not try to affect the outcome of the game. The double foul on gray and delly was a bit like rob and benson in our game. Steven was lucky he was not the only called on that foul. The regulation ending reminded me of USF last year when gray saved it inbounds and Dior hit the three. This time it was carter hitting the 3 to tie the game. Maybe the tide is turning on having good things happen to this team this year. Go zags beat usd

DixieZag
02-24-2011, 10:30 PM
Absolutely a wonderful game, I actually anticipated GU coming out strong in the second half and then again in the OT and then SMC crawling back, they are just too strong to not do it. We should be really proud of our guys, the beat a damn good team tonight, on the road, for all the marbles and really pulling out a TEAM effort.

One bad call by the refs, the blocking call on Hart in OT - I thought it HAD to be on the offense and it was very uncharacteristic of how they called the entire game. The one on Stockton was iffy also. But all in all, decent officiating, they really let them go underneath.

Santangelo_for_3
02-24-2011, 10:35 PM
Amazing game, amazing outcome and would be amazing if they drop their last game and we win! The guys played really well all night and hit free throws down the stretch. Fan effing tastic college game, so glad we won!

FuManShoes
02-24-2011, 10:35 PM
First, I repeat, it was a great game. Second, I'm convinced WCC refs think they're calling a women's game. Contrary to some of you guys, I think the they called the game way too tight. But what convinced me these guys think they're reffing ladies is when they have to stop and review a shot that was taken from a foot+ inside the men's three point line. These guys don't know the rules. I'm convinced of it!

zag69
02-24-2011, 10:37 PM
This game reminded me why I love college hoops, and couldn't care less about the NBA.

TheCroatian
02-24-2011, 10:39 PM
I feel strongly that the best team won the game tonight. I think we can present some matchup problems for many teams in the NCAA tournament...

UberZagFan
02-24-2011, 10:55 PM
So if it plays out that GU meets SMC in Vegas, can we just skip the first half and the second half and go straight to OT? Uber just can't deal with another game like this!

p.s. don't forget you can watch it again on ESPN3. Uber's thinking the second time around will be much less stressful.

MJ777
02-24-2011, 10:55 PM
First, I repeat, it was a great game. Second, I'm convinced WCC refs think they're calling a women's game. Contrary to some of you guys, I think the they called the game way too tight. But what convinced me these guys think they're reffing ladies is when they have to stop and review a shot that was taken from a foot+ inside the men's three point line. These guys don't know the rules. I'm convinced of it!

I agree that the refs were not great tonight. I was okay with them letting them play inside, but the calls and the no calls on the perimeter was maddening. It seemed like if the man with the ball on the perimeter was not aggressively advancing the ball then the refs would let the defenders slap arms and grab. But then when the dribbler started driving, the defender would get called for a touch foul even though they were giving ground while trying to stay beween their man and the basket.

zagfan08
02-24-2011, 11:13 PM
Just a really, really good road win. I predicted a loss and said we'd have to play our best road game of the year to get it done, and that's exactly what we did. I loved seeing the balanced scoring and the heart this team showed and it's great to go into a hostile environment and beat a good team this year, something we hadn't done before.

I also thought the reffing wasn't good, especially down the stretch. I felt like they took over the game with touch fouls in the last minute, and it would have been a shame to lose in part due to the refs stealing the show after a tremendous game. But at the end we made one more play than they did, and it's a good think the WCC player of the year missed one of his easiest looks in the game.

We still have issues (especially defensively), but that's the way it's going to be this year. I couldn't be happier to be in the position to extend the regular season streak and have a chance at making the tournament. I still believe that the loser of the WCC championship game has a good chance at being on the wrong side of the bubble when it's all said and done, so the rubber match is going to have a lot on the line. And if the first 2 games are any indications, we're going to be in for an incredible basketball game in Vegas.

kazzag
02-24-2011, 11:15 PM
And to add the refs were not horrible, not great, but not bad

NotoriousZ
02-24-2011, 11:21 PM
:clap:

Game of the season. Let's make some more memories, Zags.

Beat San Diego!!!

Zag@LMU
02-24-2011, 11:27 PM
And to add the refs were not horrible, not great, but not bad

I thought the refs were almost better than we could have expected them to be. In an OOC game at a power school, we could say they weren't good, but I think this is the best officiated road WCC game I have seen in a long time. The refs knew that a lot was on the line today, and they took the players emotions into account when assessing fouls, especially on plays that required them to go to the monitors (most notably Sacre's push against Jones)

JPtheBeasta
02-24-2011, 11:29 PM
GU outplayed SMC in OT and iffy calls on kept them within reach. Gray's 5th foul on D-bags was aweful. I suppose thoughts like this make me a sore winner but I really was thinking "here we go again..." I really didn't think they let them play at all in OT.

golfmania
02-24-2011, 11:38 PM
it was an instant classic, both teams for the most part playing to their strengths and performing at a high level, and it coming down to making freethrows at crunchtime, which for the most part this year:000tens: we haven't been very successful. Kudos to everyone, but especially Sam Dower, for a redshirt freshman who hasn't been in that situation before, he came thru like a 5th year senior. That's why you came to Gonzaga Sam, to play in big games and be the hero! Lets take care of business on Saturday. The streak remains alive, yea baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

northsidezagfan
02-24-2011, 11:51 PM
D-bags

hahahahahahaha

Rio Runner
02-25-2011, 06:23 AM
I thought the refs were almost better than we could have expected them to be. In an OOC game at a power school, we could say they weren't good, but I think this is the best officiated road WCC game I have seen in a long time. The refs knew that a lot was on the line today, and they took the players emotions into account when assessing fouls, especially on plays that required them to go to the monitors (most notably Sacre's push against Jones)

Completely agree. The refs were great. People can always nitpick and find a handful of calls that they did not like. But, considering this was on Saint Mary's home floor, the refereeing was solid. Rob Jones had 4 fouls with 4 minutes left, Mickey McConnell fouled out, and the Gaels were whistled for 4 more overall fouls than we were.

FlatheadZag
02-25-2011, 06:32 AM
One helluva of a college basketball game! Both teams gave it a "A" effort and deserve to be be in the NCAA tourney. Looking forward to a possible rubber match with even more on the line.

It's been refreshing watching the Bulldog team grow up and steadily improve throughout the year. Elias has the spring back in his legs, Dower coming on and everyone settling in with more defined roles. A true Zag effort.