• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spike94
    Kennel Club
    • Feb 2007

No wonder they have small gyms

Watching the SC v. LMU game makes it very clear why other schools don't work on getting bigger arenas. Because other than the GU game none of the WCC schools get anyone to come to their games. Sad.
  • Beer_Engineer
    Kennel Club Material
    • Oct 2009

The MAC isnt that big, its just new...

Comment

• Spike94
      Kennel Club
      • Feb 2007

Bigger than SMC, USF, LMU, and Pepp. But we also had one of those in K1. But we filled it every game. Then we built the MAC.

Comment

• CaliforniaZaggin'
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2008

You know what they say about guys with small gyms, don't cha?
        What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

Comment

• willandi
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by CaliforniaZaggin' View Post
          You know what they say about guys with small gyms, don't cha?
          The same as they do about guys with big trucks!!
          Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• duper
            Kennel Club
            • Apr 2008

You don't build what you don't need. Be aware 15 years ago you could walk into GU games and had about a 20% chance of getting in without even paying.

Comment

• Das Zagger
              Bleeds GU Blue
              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Spike94 View Post
              Watching the SC v. LMU game makes it very clear why other schools don't work on getting bigger arenas. Because other than the GU game none of the WCC schools get anyone to come to their games. Sad.
              They actually have small gyms due to a lack of funding to build a larger gym. I think Gonzaga was very fortunate to have a donor like the McCarthys step up and donate. I'm sure SMC would LOVE to have somelike like that, San Diego did have someone like that.

Your last comment in there was just petty. Before Gonzaga had their bright and shiny new arena they had the Kennel which was just like those other gyms.

Comment

• Spike94
                Kennel Club
                • Feb 2007

Hey. I know that this thread died. But the "Sad" had nothing to do with the small gym asspect as it did with the fact that nobody shows up to their games. And in turn, a testament to our crowd. There is great basketball in the WCC outside of GU, yet not a lot of people see it. Yes, it is amazing that GU was able to build K2. And I am happy for it. Sorry if I sounded bad with this post. It wasn't very well done.

Comment

• sittingon50
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

It's all about

winning. I started going to K1 in '92, Spike & it was often 2/3 full even after giving away free tickets to the area AAU teams.

And despite the reported 6K for every home game, there have been more than a few times where there were plenty of empty seats, particularly in the KC.
                  But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• gu03alum
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by sittingon50 View Post
                    And despite the reported 6K for every home game, there have been more than a few times where there were plenty of empty seats, particularly in the KC.
                    Was that during the Christmas break? Not too many Gonzaga students stick around Spokane between Fall and Spring semester.
                    Bring back the OCC

Comment

Originally posted by sittingon50 View Post
                      winning. I started going to K1 in '92, Spike & it was often 2/3 full even after giving away free tickets to the area AAU teams.

The six thousand seats include 1200 reserved for students and about 100 reserved for faculty and staff. If the students and staff do not sign up for all of the allocated tickets, they are sold to members of the Bulldog Club, so every game is sold out. The rest of the six thousand are for season ticket holders.

The six thousand seats do not include about 80 seats designated handicapped (around the ends behind each basket on the concourse level). These are not available for sale separately. The handicapped person and a companion must have regular seats and then exchange them for handicapped ones, which leaves the regular ones empty.

If season ticket holders do not show up, there will be empty seats. If KC members sign up and do not show up there are warnings and penalties, but there is nothing to stop them from having their ID swiped, and then leaving again. During finals week they have to sign up for all of the games until school resumes again after the break, and if they don't show up they face the warnings and or penalties.

That just about covers all of the scenarios which might result in empty seats.

ZaGranny

Comment

• gu03alum
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

The staff and faculty get about 300 seats and there is almost always a long line for those tickets on Monday mornings starting around 4 AM.
                        Bring back the OCC

Comment

Originally posted by gu03alum View Post
                          The staff and faculty get about 300 seats and there is almost always a long line for those tickets on Monday mornings starting around 4 AM.
                          I got my number from a staff member I sat next to a year ago--not surprised if she was off by a couple hundred--it sounded low.

ZaGranny

Comment

• gu03alum
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ID ZAGFAN View Post
                            I got my number from a staff member I sat next to a year ago--not surprised if she was off by a couple hundred--it sounded low.

ZaGranny
                            No worries, I don't mean to correct you, but wanted to put out the correct number. As far as I know they give the staff 150 sets of 2 tickets each. I worked at Gonzaga for 5 years and didn't miss many home games. Staff sit up in three corners of the gym (117, 103, and 107 I think) from rows 26 and up. It was a great benefit to working at Gonzaga along with the mostly free education. The benefits definitely helped with the very low pay.
                            Bring back the OCC

Comment

• ToreroStudent
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2008

Just wanted to clarify that USD's doner was in fact Jenny Craig. She visited the campus, fell in love with it, and bought us a beautiful gym. Pretty cool.
                              Torerograd '10

Comment

Working...
                              X