PDA

View Full Version : 2 great stories in the GU Bulletin

ID ZAGFAN
02-24-2011, 02:34 PM
MANNY AROP:

http://www.gonzagabulletin.com/from-civil-war-to-the-hardwood-1.2014477?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=The_Bulletin_2&utm_campaign=The_Bulletin_2_20112241553

In 2000, Arop's family was granted citizenship to Canada.
"We were fortunate to be able to come to a country where they gave me and my brothers an opportunity to go to school and get an education, and not worry about war," he said.
Arop said he was very appreciative of what his mother has done for him and his brothers. Arop said his mother had to borrow money from the Canadian government and that, once they arrived in Canada, his mother had to not only raise her five sons, but pay back the Canadian government as well.
"My mom did it all," he said. "I have four other brothers and being a single mother with five boys is tough, but being able to move a whole entire family from Sudan to Kenya to Canada… And we were still young then and it was just her."

FATHER HIGHTOWER:

http://www.gonzagabulletin.com/teaching-a-different-lesson-from-the-bench-1.2014443?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=The_Bulletin_2&utm_campaign=The_Bulletin_2_20112241553

Hightower, who coached high school soccer prior to coming to Gonzaga, could use some educating on the game of basketball, according to Arop and freshman center Sam Dower.
"I think my little niece and nephew, they are like 5 and 7, I think they know the game more than he does," Arop said with a wry smile on his face.
"He is more of a pep guy on the bench, I don't think he knows anything about the game," Dower said with a laugh.
Hightower admitted that he does not know the finer nuances of the game, but knows just as much as the casual fan.
"That's the one thing that makes this work," Hightower said. "I don't try to be a coach. I can do the mental aspect but I don't try to coach, I don't tell them what they need to do on the field, or in running, or on the court. I think that's one of the reasons the coaches are able to work with me."

Two very nice articles.

ZaGranny

MDABE80
02-24-2011, 02:44 PM
Amazing stories.. the human spirit is indefeatable with focus, a bit of luck and discipline. Just stuns me every time.