PDA

View Full Version : If, dare I say it, St. Mary's should win tonight....

CDC84
02-24-2011, 08:29 AM
I will be the first person to congratulate them on their accomplishment.

However, anyone, I REPEAT, anyone who thinks that it will represent a major changing of the guard in the WCC is wrong.

And honestly, most Gael fans I know wouldn't buy into that nonsense. A win would be a cause for much celebration, of course. But the Gael fans I know realize that more needs to be accomplished in the future.

No one can lose sight of the fact that the Gonzaga Bulldogs have won 10 consecutive regular season conference titles up to this point. That is a historic level of dominance in the history of division one basketball.

To suggest that the ending of that streak means that Gonzaga has lost all its stature is just wrong, but there will be those in the media and elsewhere who will promote this idea. I absolutely guarantee it will happen, much like the lunatics who suggested that UW was a superior program to Gonzaga after they knocked them off during the 2005/06 season. Nevermind what took place before that loss.

Obviously, as a Zag fan, I hope that the streak continues. But in case a loss does happen, I want to make this point now as opposed to after the game. I don't wish to appear to be a sore loser. Again, I will be the first person to congratulate the Gaels.

applezag
02-24-2011, 08:50 AM
I would agree. GU has, and is continuing to draw, more talented players than SMC and has a lot more program infrastructure in place than their program does. In fact, I wish that SMC would better capitalize on thier basketball success and do some of the things that GU has done in the past ten years. It would be good for their program, school, the league, and for GU basketball. At a time when basketball on the west coast is down overall, it would be great if other programs in the WCC would take advantage of the opportunity to elevate themselves for long-term success. I worry that if Bennett ever leaves that will be that for SMC hoops. The same cannot be said for GU>

GoZags
02-24-2011, 08:51 AM
Beat St. Mary's !!!!!!

ZagMan in Philly
02-24-2011, 08:51 AM
The pressure is on them tonight, and I know we will come out with a victory.
I will have more concern with how we will come out against SDiego on Saturday.

GO ZAGS!!!!

sittingon50
02-24-2011, 09:07 AM
I've been noticing a theme in your posts recently, GoZags.

:)

willandi
02-24-2011, 10:11 AM
"If, dare I say it, St. Mary's should win tonight...." then they would probably lose Sat. to Portland, we would beat San Diego, and they would still win the tie breaker and share the title. Anything could happen!!! Maybe all their player get the crud and they forfeit tonights game for lack of 5 suited up players....it could happen. LOL

23dpg
02-24-2011, 10:22 AM
"If, dare I say it, St. Mary's should win tonight...." then they would probably lose Sat. to Portland, we would beat San Diego, and they would still win the tie breaker and share the title. Anything could happen!!! Maybe all their player get the crud and they forfeit tonights game for lack of 5 suited up players....it could happen. LOL

Gonzaga would have 4 losses and SMC would only have 3.

MickMick
02-24-2011, 10:23 AM
For cripes sakes!

St. Marys isn't going to win tonight.

rijman
02-24-2011, 10:37 AM
St. Mary's is trying to continue a positive trend. They are 2-2 against the Zags over their previous 4 matchups. Having surpassed the Zags in the NCAA tourney last year, by outlasting them, they can build on their upward trend if they can win tonight and win the WCC conference title. It's up to the Zags to IMPOSE THEIR WILL on SMC and show them who the top dog is in the WCC.

BEAT SMC!!!

jpwils
02-24-2011, 11:17 AM
Honestly I think the Zags are playing better right now.

This obviously does not guarantee a win tonite.

Fouls/ leadership/ coaching/refs/ staying away from stupid plays and turnovers, etc. all will play a role.

On paper SMC should tip the scales but that is why they PLAY the freaking game!!!!!

But the real gut check will be the WCC tourney- no room for 2 bids this yr.

Time for an all hands on deck performance including Arop and Keita if necessary on defense!

Go Zags!

SMc is a bit weak on bigs and a bit thin on bench strength so let's make the nmost of our advantages!

willandi
02-24-2011, 02:01 PM
Gonzaga would have 4 losses and SMC would only have 3.

you're right of course, I just have trouble counting past 3. Lets just let the zags end the speculation and win tonight.

MDABE80
02-24-2011, 02:49 PM
Beat St. Mary's !!!!!!

This.

Mantua
02-24-2011, 02:59 PM
Expecting a Zag fan to be rational on this game day is irrational!

We have plenty of time to be philosophical starting at 10:30 pm.

Go Zags!
Down St. Mary's!

Reborn
02-24-2011, 03:28 PM
One TV analyst recently said that St. Mary's was the most overated team in Division I Basketbell. Zags by 13. Will do you say then, CDC? I think they're falling apart, but we'll see?