PDA

View Full Version : Go St. Maries!!

EngineerZag
02-23-2011, 09:17 PM
Beat Kellogg.

Had to post this after seeing posters at least a DOZEN times refer to our WCC rival as "St. Maries".

willandi
02-23-2011, 09:29 PM
+1

TheZagPhish
02-23-2011, 10:36 PM
I heart St. Maries University.

Zagineer
02-23-2011, 11:05 PM
Beat Kellogg.
Had to post this after seeing posters at least a DOZEN times refer to our WCC rival as "St. Maries".

Wow, EZ. Did you bring back memories. St. Maries, Idaho.

Summer of 1968, I was working for the USFS in the St. Joe National Forest surveying the woods for paths of future roads. We were stationed out of St. Maries, ID, but only as a starting point on Monday mornings (5:00 am) for the week's adventure into the Idaho forests, not to return to St. Maries until Friday evening.

The summer of 1968. When Robert Kennedy was assassinated. It's one of those times in your life that you never forget where you were and what you were doing at that moment you found out.

It was a summer I will never forget. Many adventures. Maybe I'll share in the future. And then,.... maybe not. :D

EngineerZag
02-23-2011, 11:06 PM
Wow, cool. We just moved there in August of 2010. I've already spent some quality time up the Joe and am sure I'll spend a lot more in the coming months.

Zagineer
02-23-2011, 11:36 PM
The road from St. Maries, through Calder, on through Avery, and over to St. Regis, MT is some of the most beautiful country on the planet.

I spent alot of time on that road. I was on the survey team that collected the level survey data from Avery up to the Montana state line.

But I regress.....

GO ZAGS!! BEAT St. Marys (and St. Maries, if you must :D)

sittingon50
02-23-2011, 11:48 PM
but I'll root for Kellogg. A branch of the family grew up there!

Zagineer
02-24-2011, 12:14 AM
No rerason to be sorry, 50. Time to be proud.

Kellogg and the Mullan Road have contributed greatly to the history of the Inland Empire.

GhostZag
02-24-2011, 12:22 AM
St. Maries, Idaho – a treasure. I have been doing business in St. Maries for almost 30 years, which allows me to travel there 4-8 times per year. Spring and Fall are amazing – so much beauty and wildlife. Fun fact… did you know that St. Maries, ID is the only city in the US where TUG BOATS can still be seen pulling rafts or brails of logs to the lumber mills? It is a big part of the town’s history and livelihood. I had an artist draw this to pay tribute to the lumber industry in St. Maries, ID. Here is the artwork I developed with a seasoned artist – enjoy.
http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx328/LINBUG/SMHSTugEtch.jpg

Zagineer
02-24-2011, 12:55 AM
Beautiful. Reminds me of my childhood while staying at my grandfathers farm in Post Falls during the summers and watching the logs come in to Coeur d'Alene.

PS. His farm is no more. I-90 wiped it out. Totally. It was the 40 acres just west of where McGuire Road crosses over I-90. I still have a hard time driving from Spokane to Coeur d'Alene, and going under the McGuire Road Overpass, without thinking back to those days.

gozagswoohoo
02-24-2011, 06:32 AM
Cool picture Ghostzag.

And lets see.....My 4th grade English teacher said that if a word ends in 'Y', and you make that word plural, you drop the 'Y' and add 'ies'. St. Maries it is!!! :-)

willandi
02-24-2011, 08:31 AM
I had kin killed in the great fire, SE of Wallace, and I've tree planted both sides of the Cabinets, the Idaho side out of Lolo and almost everything in between. Plus I've read Norman McClean's stories many times. A bit of knowledge about the area myself.

hondo
02-24-2011, 08:33 AM
If you guys have not already done so be sure to read Tim Egan's The Big Burn.
It's the story of a huge string of fires in the Idaho panhandle 100 years ago.
A wonderful read.

kitzbuel
02-24-2011, 09:17 AM
St. Maries, Idaho – a treasure. I have been doing business in St. Maries for almost 30 years, which allows me to travel there 4-8 times per year. Spring and Fall are amazing – so much beauty and wildlife. Fun fact… did you know that St. Maries, ID is the only city in the US where TUG BOATS can still be seen pulling rafts or brails of logs to the lumber mills? It is a big part of the town’s history and livelihood. I had an artist draw this to pay tribute to the lumber industry in St. Maries, ID. Here is the artwork I developed with a seasoned artist – enjoy.
http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx328/LINBUG/SMHSTugEtch.jpg

My Grandpa grew up there and worked the mill (he had to drop out of high school to work and take care of the family after his dad died). He told us about guiding logs off the water into chutes to take them into the mill. He was always worried about falling and getting caught underwater under the logs.

He was in a local band, too. He told a story of going to a gig in Plummer and arriving to find the bass drum was no longer on top of the car. They retraced their route only to see the drum floating out on the lake.

zagnut2012
02-24-2011, 10:24 AM
The worst day fishing on "The Joe" is 110% better that the best day at work.

Part of my old stomping grounds is fishing the best cutthroat stream in Idaho and elk hunting "The Bullion" road area and "The Knob" (Wonderful Peak drainage)

Zagnut 2012

I am sure that Zagman will agree.....

EngineerZag
02-24-2011, 02:43 PM
Wow, this turned into a cool thread.

We just moved to the area a few months ago due to my job.

I don't know how long we'll be in the area but we are enjoying the beautiful surroundings while we have them.

willandi
02-24-2011, 02:59 PM
There is so much to enjoy in the greater Spokane area, starting, and stopping with last nights event. If you are into snow sports, there is lots available within a 2 hr drive, world class ski areas etc. Many, many lakes for boating, water skiing, fishing or just relaxing. If you golf, the city/county course offer a huge variety of challenges, easy to excrutiating, plus several world class resort courses and many private open to the public courses, all affordable, and if you don't golf, why not? Lots of areas for hiking and biking, very few earthquakes (there was a cluster 10 yrs ago...all about 2.5 on the Richter), very few tornados and even fewer hurricanes. Not too many poisonous critters. Speaking of critters, such a diversity for your viewing and/or eating pleasure. Just about the nicest place in the USA, and , oh yeah, home of your GONZAGA BULLDOGS!!!!!!

Go Zags!!

WILLYMCG
02-24-2011, 03:03 PM
In DC now, but attended 6th grade in St Maries with railroad family. Rode the bench on the 6-8 grade Jr. Hi BBall team and recall traveling to Couer D Alene. Biggest gym I had been in! The crowd actually chanted "We want #3 (me)". I got in, hit a layup and obviously have an etched remembrance. Beautiful, fresh country!
Thanks for the post.
Go Zags, Fearlessly!

kitzbuel
02-24-2011, 03:49 PM
If you guys have not already done so be sure to read Tim Egan's The Big Burn.
It's the story of a huge string of fires in the Idaho panhandle 100 years ago.
A wonderful read.

Have to see if Amazon has that for the Kindle!

willandi
02-24-2011, 04:42 PM
Have to see if Amazon has that for the Kindle!

Kindling on the great fire????

kitzbuel
02-24-2011, 04:43 PM
It does, just downloaded it.