PDA

View Full Version : National stats for GU

Section 116
02-22-2011, 08:35 PM
I was checking out national team stats for the women today and I suspect most of you know GU is the national leader in points per game at 85.7. Here are a few other stats of note:

Team field goal percentage: GU #2 at 49.4% behind national leader UCONN at 51%

Team free throw percentage: GU #16 at 75.7% behind national leader Bowling Green at 80.1%

Scoring margin: GU #4 at 24.7 PPG behind national leader UCONN at 29.6

Assists per game: GU #1 at 20.3

Rebound Margin: GU #12 at 8.3 behind national leader Syracuse at 15.5

Steals per game: GU #27 at 11.4 behind national leader Oral Roberts at 15

Three point field goal defense: GU #27 at 27.1 behind national leader Baylor at 24.3

Turnover margin: GU #8 at 6.21 behind national leader Miami (FL) 9.23

Turnovers per game: GU #8 at 13.8 behind national leader Marist at 11.0

Win/Loss percentage: GU #14 at 85.7 behind national leader UCONN at 96.3

Link: http://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-women/d1

Zagineer
02-22-2011, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the work and reporting, 116. Very much appreciated.

My initial thought as I was reading,.... a 23rd ranking (as of today) doesn't quite seem correct, does it. Seems to me it should be higher. But time will tell. There seems to be a time lag between performance and ranking.

But don't over-read my comment, as I'm not one to put all my eggs into the ranking basket. My focus would be to, "Just keep winning". Everything else will take care of itself.

upan8th
02-22-2011, 10:05 PM
MDABE80, though he is too reticent to ask directly, would want to know where the Lady Zags rank on the "toughness" scale. That is, do they have what it takes to "out tough" physical and athletic opponents such as those they will ultimately meet in the later rounds of THE TOURNAMENT.

Unfortunately, the NC2A hasn't figured out how to measure this critical component of success. Critics, noting WCC womens team's woeful record against OOC opponents, are saying the Zaguettes, despite their 25 pt avg margin of victory in conference, have not demonstrated the requisite level of "toughness" in relatively close losses to top tenners Stanford and Notre Dame. Not sure I've seen the required amount of it myself thus far, but am intrigued by the prospect of senior leader Courtney V baring her teeth and showing the nation that her team, indeed, has it in spades and will be dealing it out next month.

adoptedzag
02-23-2011, 07:10 AM
I wouldn't call our OOC resume "woeful". It wasn't ideal, but we played some tough teams. If we can force our pace on the opposition, I think we stand a chance against most teams in the dance, save 3-4 of the elite teams.

webspinnre
02-23-2011, 07:19 AM
adopted, it isn't our schedule that's woeful, its the WCC's schedules/performance that are.

spudzag
02-23-2011, 09:16 AM
Losing to Standford by 6 or ND by 9 is hardly woeful. Quite the opposite frankly. USC (first game of the season) and Ole Miss games (5th game in 8 days in 3 times zones ) were not great but understandable. W/o the USC and Ole Miss losses this team would be ranked a few spots higher, maybe 18 or so.

There is not the parity in woman's BB there there is in the men's game. The top half a dozen teams are well above the next half dozen and we are in the next group of a dozen teams or so.

For my dime you need to appreciate the accomplishments of the woman's teams and not try to draw direct comparisons with the men's teams.

upan8th
02-23-2011, 10:49 AM
People: Please read the post. As Webspinnere has correctly noted, the "woeful OOC record" refers to all the other WCC teams, not GU. Those less than stellar win/loss records, OF THE OTHER TEAMS in conference, are the reason GU's waxing them has so little affect on swaying the pollsters to give the Lady Zags more respect.