PDA

View Full Version : Rivals: GU as the Recruiting Overachiever

omahazag
02-22-2011, 10:21 AM
http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1191880

A testament to our coaching staff and their ability to pull top notch student-athletes to Spokane

CDC84
02-22-2011, 11:13 AM
What they fail to mention though is that the Pacific NW has very few D-1 schools, but a ton of prep basketball talent. Gonzaga has the best basketball program in the whole Pacific NW region. The kids don't necessarily need to come from Spokane to want to come to Gonzaga. I mean, Spokane is just a 45 minute plane ride from Portland. Seattle is not that far from Spokane. While Spokane isn't brimming with talent, there is a lot of talent that's fairly close to campus.

It should also be noted that despite all its talent, the Pacific NW is not an ideal place for east coast and midwest high major programs to recruit players out of. It's a hell of a long ways away for them to go. It's much easier to hide players and keep them under wraps in the Pacific NW unless they are elite Burger Boys like Marvin Williams or Kyle Wiltjer.

Pleasant Peninsula
02-22-2011, 12:12 PM
What they fail to mention though is that the Pacific NW has very few D-1 schools, but a ton of prep basketball talent.

But it seems to me that the pipeline of talented NW players to GU has dried up, GBJ notwithstanding. Gonzaga only has three Pacific NW guys on the 2010-11 roster and two of them are walk-ons. Is it that Gonzaga has backed off some of the NW prospects in favor of guys from elsewhere (Canada and overseas) or is it that the top and near-top level prospects from the NW are eschewing Gonzaga, preferring to go elsewhere?

CDC84
02-22-2011, 12:41 PM
The overall Pacific NW talent hasn't been as great the last few classes. It's been a far cry from 2004. But it doesn't matter now because Gonzaga is a national and international recruiting name. They can go elsewhere to get players.

The key with landing Gary Bell Jr. is that he's the first elite Seattle area player to commit to Gonzaga. Elite in the sense that they had to beat out UW, UCLA and a whole host of other high major schools to land him. It will be interesting to see if the staff uses this as a springboard to try to land more top 50 kids from the Seattle area.

The geographical thing was really instrumental in the rise of this program. This program wouldn't be where it is now right now if the university were located in Chicago, Charlotte, etc. It's something that too many college basketball pundits and athletic directors overlook (we they fire their coaches for not transforming their program into a Gonzaga).

U Zig, I Zag
02-22-2011, 01:00 PM
On this side of the state (WA, east), who is the big-time BBall player for 11/12, 12/13? Anyone know?

Pleasant Peninsula
02-22-2011, 01:05 PM
I agree. Gonzaga's rise was in part because the NW was talented enough that under-the-radar guys were still capable of being high-level DI talents, and Gonzaga cashed in on them. Most of the stars from the halcyon days were NW guys, right? (Dickau, Stepp, Santangelo, Frahm, Calvery, Violette, etc).

But what has changed since then? You seem to suggest the NW talent level has dipped a bit in recent years. Is that an aberration? Or have other schools caught on to the fact that the Pacific NW is/was a relatively untapped reservoir of talent, and begun recruiting it with increased vigor, leaving fewer to drop into our lap?

Another hypothosis: has the emergence of Gonzaga as a "name brand" caused Few and Company to overlook talented NW players in their backyard, while trying to chase recruits from all over the globe?

bullzag23
02-22-2011, 01:22 PM
On this side of the state (WA, east), who is the big-time BBall player for 11/12, 12/13? Anyone know?

I couldn't find any eastern WA players listed on Rivals top 150 but there was one Anrio Adams over in Seattle (Garfield) for 2012. Then again the recruiting sites tend to overlook this area. I'm hoping the coaching staff will find any diamonds in the rough out here.

CDC84
02-22-2011, 01:51 PM
There just aren't as many high major players coming from the Pacific NW. Not as many super elite kids either. Especially from Washington. Then again, things were bound to take a dip at some point. There was a 5 year period not too long ago where the state of Washington was generating more 4 and 5 star players than the states of Indiana and Pennsylvania. I actually researched it when somebody questioned me. It was staggering.

These things go in cycles.

GoZags
02-22-2011, 01:53 PM
I guess perception is reality vis a vis the reference to Gonzaga's "ranked" classes.

GU has never had a Top 25 recruiting class per Scout.com.

GU has only had one (1) Top 25 recruiting class per Rivals.com.

But the perception (in that article) is that Gonzaga has had top ranked recruiting "classes".

Maybe some day.

Beat St. Mary's.

GrizZAG
02-22-2011, 01:59 PM
Part of the mystique at Gonzaga over the last ten years or so was in part because of utilization of talent from the NW. Ammo, Pendo, Zack G, Dickau, Ravio, Gray, it goes on and on. That has been a good part of why I am such a rabid Zag fan.

I love it when we find some high work ethic kid from Bridgeport, Irondale or the middle of Montana or whatever...
We need a new load of them..

Pendo and his rattlesnakes.... Loved that kid..HA HA

maynard g krebs
02-22-2011, 02:43 PM
But it seems to me that the pipeline of talented NW players to GU has dried up, GBJ notwithstanding. Gonzaga only has three Pacific NW guys on the 2010-11 roster and two of them are walk-ons. Is it that Gonzaga has backed off some of the NW prospects in favor of guys from elsewhere (Canada and overseas) or is it that the top and near-top level prospects from the NW are eschewing Gonzaga, preferring to go elsewhere?

Tinsley, Joe Harris, Kingma, if internet reports are accurate, might all have been Zags a decade ago. Probably some other NW kids. Increased profile has led to casting a wider net in search of superior raw talent (with mixed results).

DixieZag
02-22-2011, 02:52 PM
I would count our twice 4A Player of the Year in Idaho from Nampa as a NW recruit, though not from Seattle or Portland, the Boise area is only a 1 hour SWA flight from Spokane.

He may not be a 5 star national figure, but could easily be a great player who fell under the radar by playing in Nampa Idaho and committing relatively early. Hopefully Kyle is a keeper.

U Zig, I Zag
02-22-2011, 02:59 PM
I couldn't find any eastern WA players listed on Rivals top 150 but there was one Anrio Adams over in Seattle (Garfield) for 2012. Then again the recruiting sites tend to overlook this area. I'm hoping the coaching staff will find any diamonds in the rough out here.

You don't hear about too many 'phenoms' around here. What we need is someone like G-Prep to step up and become a destination prep school for hoops talent. :)

Pleasant Peninsula
02-22-2011, 03:10 PM
I would count our twice 4A Player of the Year in Idaho from Nampa as a NW recruit, though not from Seattle or Portland, the Boise area is only a 1 hour SWA flight from Spokane.

He may not be a 5 star national figure, but could easily be a great player who fell under the radar by playing in Nampa Idaho and committing relatively early. Hopefully Kyle is a keeper.

I, too, count Idaho kids as NW recruits. But high level Idaho recruits come around at the rate of one or two per decade. There was Violette and...his Bishop Kelly teammate Abe Jackson* a few years earlier (four year starter at Boise State, who could have played at a "bigger" school if he wanted to). I can't really think of any high-major level kids to come out of Idaho besides those two (and Kyle) in the last decade.

It's hard to say how hard "big" schools would have come after Kyle, had he not committed early to Gonzaga, but I get the impression that his choices would be Boise State or maybe a Utah State, but nobody "bigger" than Gonzaga had him on their radar, as far as I know. Hopefully, he proves to be a hidden gem that was under-the-radar because of where he came from.

* I defeated Abe Jackson in the semi-finals of the three point contest at the 1998 District III all-star game, which was quite exciting to me as I came from a 1A (very small) school. Unfortunately, I lost to some kid from Emmett in the finals. Also, interestingly enough, one of my school's biggest rivals during my playing career was Notus High School, coached by Kyle's dad, Tim.

VinnyZag
02-22-2011, 06:54 PM
I would count our twice 4A Player of the Year in Idaho from Nampa as a NW recruit

And I'd count Rob Sacre of Vancouver, B.C., as a NW recruit, too.

Gary Bell Jr. is that he's the first elite Seattle area player to commit to Gonzaga.

Not to quibble, but I'd say geographically Bainbridge Island is more Seattle than Kent.

Gonzaga has the best basketball program in the whole Pacific NW region.

Is that true anymore? I think UW could make a case at this point for being on a par.

Not trying to be provocative in saying that, I just think it may be the truth right now. And in terms of recruiting, might that have made a difference with a kid like Abdul Gaddy?