• Show
Clear All
  • KOzag08
    Kennel Club Material
    • Jan 2009

If you're Coach Few against SMC ...

What do you do?

Here's my two cents FWIW:

I think a lot of it depends on our defensive scheme. I really think we should zone press them, force them to get out of the rhythm of their offense, giving them a look at something they haven’t seen all year. At first, I thought getting into the Diamond-1 press would be great because it forces turnovers. But, it’s easier to break when you have good guard play and it can leave your big man (Sacre) hanging out to dry in transition, which results in foul trouble. I like running the 1-2-2 press and dropping back into one of three zones: 3-2 (not 2-3) , Box-1 (on McConnell), or a Triangle-2 (on McConnell & Dellavedova). The 1-2-2 forces them to use a big man in the break, taking the ball out of the hands of their scoring threats. It also slows them down, forcing them to adjust on offense and shake up the tempo. I like the 3-2 because it focuses on perimeter defense and is okay to run when you’re stronger on the post, which we are. We need to take away the three; that’s the key to winning this game. The Box-1 and Triangle-2 allow you to focus on one or two guys and play sticky defense on them, while providing help-D with the other 3 or 4 running a matchup zone. These also work best when you have superior bigs.

On offense, we have to shoot better from the arc. Last game, we went 5-13, including 1-5 from Gray and 0-3 from Meech. We can’t have either of these stat lines on Thursday. We need Steven to step and knock down a couple, with Marquise also taking a few. I think second-chance-points could also be a huge factor. We need guys like Sacre, Dower, and Harris to attack the boards and need to get some good minutes out of KO.

Player-for-player, we are more talented than anyone in our conference. I think any time this is the case, and you have three slip-ups in the WCC, most of it is on the coaching staff. I think there has also been a lack of execution and leadership as well, but I do put the coaching staff at fault for SCU and USF. Having said that, I think we can gain a lot of momentum going into the WCC by taking this game down. Win out (including WCC tourney), I see us grabbing an 8 or 9 seed at 24-9 (although I wouldn’t mind a 10 in Tucson).

GO ZAGS!
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

Keys to beating St. Mary's

1. Defense. In watching the first game over, it's just so obvious that the Zags played little defense, as well as making stupid fouls. The Zags must keep St. Mary's from penetrating like they did against us in K2. Defense also means having the desire to play your guts out, and dive for every loose ball, and get it. It means controlling the defensive boards. While observ\ing that first game with St Mary's, I couldn't help but see the Zags probably at their worst all year defensively. Sacre especially was not hedging with any passion at all, and Gray had no fire at all. These two guys really hurt us defensively, and that won't happen this time I am certain.

McConnell totally controlled our defense. This must not happen this time. The Zags need to control him. The Zags have improved defensively since then, and I think the coaches will develop a very good plan to stop their guard penetration.

2. Shoot better. Gonzaga did not shoot well the first time we played St. Mary's. St. Mary's is not a great defensive team, so I don't think it was what St. Mary's did to the Zags but just their inability to hit open shots.

3. Play with confidence. Now that Marquis and Elias are playing so much better on offense, I see the Zags being the more confident team going into this match. St. Mary's has been struggling lately. I feel momentum is on the side of the Zags right now, in the same way it was on the side of St. Mary's the first time we played them. Playing with confidence also has to do with bellieving they can win. And I believe the Zags do believe they will win. I know their fans finally do.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• CDC84
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Two keys:

1) Keep McConnell in check. He's going to score some points, but just don't let him go crazy like the last two times he's faced Gonzaga. Utah State did a good job of holding him in check: 16 points on 5-11 shooting. That's reasonable.

2) Shut down Dellavedova. Matthew was a combined 6-20 with 5 turnovers against USD and Utah State. He was 3-8 with 5 turnovers in the BYU loss. Don't let him create off the bounce. I have always felt that he is just as important to the SMC operation as McConnell is.

If the Zags just do these two things, they will be in a great position to win. Easier said than done. The Gaels aren't a very good defensive team, so as long as Gonzaga keeps care of the basketball, I am not too worried about the offense scoring enough points to win this basketball game. The key is effectively dealing with those two guys. I have to believe the Gonzaga coaching staff will have their guys well prepared.

Comment

• TacomaZAG
        Zag for Life
        • Mar 2007

Hound MM

Pick MM up at 3/4 court and hound him all the way up the floor. I don't like the press comments earlier as their guard play will lead to easy transition/press break baskets. Jones and Della can't beat us without MM playing a major role in making that happen. If we hound MM all night, he will run out of gas. When we're on offense, run MM off some screens to make sure he doesn't get any rest on either end of the floor.

Both MM and Della will have to play 40 minutes for SMC to have a chance to beat us, and if we hound MM and do a decent job on Della, those guys tanks will be empty at about the 10:00 minute mark of the second half.

Make Della and/or Jones beat us..........I don't think they can.

Also, pound it inside on offense, as they are weak and not deep in the paint.

Go ZAGS

Comment

• MDABE80
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

It's been DEFENSE the entire year. When we play defense, we win. When we don't, we lose.

Simple formula. Defense wins games...moreso at this time of the year when the shooters have had an entire season to improve. Play defense or go home.

Comment

• gamagin
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

+1 ko

good post.

I'd try to tap their energy the entire game, take advantage of our depth and challenge them at every point, including inbounding and moving up court. The only time they get to set up is in the locker room at half.
            Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
            Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
            Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• john montana
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

I'd zone the heck out of them, but not the usual GU sag to the interior zone. push it out, leave Rob/Dower alone to guard the bucket and keep active on the perimeter. It is a misconception that a zone gives away the outside shot...a zone gives away something, but you can pick your poison and extend the zone if they don't have a big post presence. from what i've seen, most of the inside scoring for SMC comes off of guard penetration. i don't see them beating our bigs one on one on the block enough to win the game.
              john montana
              http://carponthefly.blogspot.com/

Comment

• KOzag08
                Kennel Club Material
                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by john montana View Post
                I'd zone the heck out of them, but not the usual GU sag to the interior zone. push it out, leave Rob/Dower alone to guard the bucket and keep active on the perimeter. It is a misconception that a zone gives away the outside shot...a zone gives away something, but you can pick your poison and extend the zone if they don't have a big post presence. from what i've seen, most of the inside scoring for SMC comes off of guard penetration. i don't see them beating our bigs one on one on the block enough to win the game.
                The main thing that you have to worry about here are the flash cuts to the middle. SMC's coaching staff and guards are smart enough to recognize this, that's why I threw in the Box-1 and Triangle-2 in there. Few is notorious for playing Man, 2-3, and matchup 2-3 though. Right now, this is more of a must-win than a possible matchup with SMC in the WCC final, so that's why I say pull out all the stops in this one. Also, this is a tougher game since it's at their place and the Orleans arena has been very pro-Gonzaga the last two years. Win this, stomp USD, and let's get this thing rolling. We haven't seen Gonzaga playing their best ball heading into the NCAA tournament in a couple years. It would be really nice to see.

Comment

• jpwils
                  Professional Zag Fan
                  • Feb 2007

Box and 1

Play box and 1 on MM.

Double team MM occasionally or play matchup zone.

Use Keita , Hart, and Arop as alternates to hound MM.

As MM goes, so go the Gaels.

We have the talent to craft a solution for this!

Go Zags!

Comment

• Zag4Hire
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2007

My Feeling

I am more afraid of our own mistakes than of our enemies' designs.
                    Pericles
                    IF YOU WANT A THING DONE WELL, DO IT YOURSELF. -NAPOLEON BONAPARTE

Comment

• Mantua
                      Zag for Life
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jpwils View Post
                      Play box and 1 on MM.

Double team MM occasionally or play matchup zone.

Use Keita , Hart, and Arop as alternates to hound MM.

As MM goes, so go the Gaels.

We have the talent to craft a solution for this!

Go Zags!
                      All of the above!

I hope Arop and Keita can step in to bolster the defense. that would be a real surprise for St Mary's at this point.

Plus, we need to score, score, score.
                      Bonjour tristesse.

Comment

• zag944
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Make sure Gray doesnt foul anyone so that Sacre can stay in the game during crunch time.

Comment

• titopoet
                          Zag for Life
                          • Apr 2008

Take the playbook from USU and San Diego; take away the cutters by sagging on the inside players. It was interesting to see the USU's zone was so effective on SMC. The reason is that no matter how good your 3 point shooting is, if there is no inside game, your toast. By taking away the cutters like the USU zone did, it left SMC with only one weapon, the 3. Not enough as they watched USU pull away.

You take away the cutters and you cut out the heart of the SMC. Which is great in that is exactly what GU did at Portland.
                          ----
                          Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Comment

• GrizZAG
                            Zag for Life
                            • Nov 2009

Foul management

I think Randy Bennett is going to try to get our bigs into foul trouble early driving the lane hard.

We might consider the same. If Sacre and Harris get three each in the first half it is going to be a long night.
                            One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Comment

• chirguy
                              Bulldog Fan
                              • Jul 2007

not the Zone

The zone has been pathetic this year. Every time they run it a three is made and it is abandon. IMO it would be disaster against SM.

1. Don't sag off your perimeter men. Let the bigs guard their own and stay in front of your man.

2. Try not to foul. If A guy beats you so be it, it's just one play. Don't foul and make it worse.

3. Don't give up offensive rebounds, instead of trying to block, block out.

4. Play good transition defense.

5. Get the ball to the bigs. And remember that you can drive in and hand it to them when the pass if difficult.

Comment

Working...
                              X