PDA

View Full Version : Nice Seattle Times article on GBJ

Radbooks
02-21-2011, 09:32 PM
From the Seattle Times (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/highschoolsports/2014295532_ringer22.html?syndication=rss) tonight:

The Kentridge High School senior still remembers the lessons learned the summer before his junior year while playing on the Rotary Style AAU team that competed "up" against teams a year older. Guys like Joe Jackson, now the starting point guard at Memphis University, gave him fits defensively.

"Playing against the top talents in the nation, that's when all your (weaknesses) get exposed," Bell said. "You think you're good at something until you play some of the top players. Then you learn, 'Man, I've gotta work on this.' "

As much as anything, Bell is known for his work ethic.

"He's made himself into what he is today," said Darryl Hennings, his longtime Rotary coach.

The ultracompetitive Bell doesn't like anyone getting the best of him, no matter how highly regarded they are.

"I was like, 'These guys aren't doing it again. I'm going to show them I can compete with everybody,' " he said.

And he did. It didn't stop there, either.

"He's gotten better every year," said Kentridge coach Dave Jamison.

Love his attitude! Lots more at the website.

northsidezagfan
02-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Awesome article! I love this kid already! Great player and person.

kclubfounder
02-22-2011, 05:32 AM
The Dawg fans are so excited about getting Wroten.

I can't really describe how happy I am that we have GBJ instead of Wroten.

JPtheBeasta
02-22-2011, 06:16 AM
Some see Bell, who is averaging 28.8 points, as a shooting guard. But he prefers the point, which he expects to play at Gonzaga.

Hmmmmm....

Beer_Engineer
02-22-2011, 06:58 AM
Hmmmmm....

Yea, I think he'll reconsider when he has a D1 level point dishing him the ball. If GBJ loves shooting open 3's and J's, I dont see this move as a problem :)

gozagswoohoo
02-22-2011, 07:09 AM
----- TOP QUIZ -----

Regarding what position GBJ plays at GU, would you rather:

Option A- He plays the shooting gaurd position, and averages 2.1 ppg, and rarely makes a difference in any game he plays all season long.

or

Option B- He starts at the PG position, averages 22 ppg, 7 assists, and 5 steals. He leads up to the Final Four, while making every single person on our team better because he runs the point so efficiently.

I'll give my answer in a little bit.

JPtheBeasta
02-22-2011, 07:11 AM
Yea, I think he'll reconsider when he has a D1 level point dishing him the ball. If GBJ loves shooting open 3's and J's, I dont see this move as a problem :)

I think you're right. The next best answer is that Matty B was a defacto PG during his career here, and was sometimes listed as a SF. The idea of having two above average to excellent playmakers in the backcourt for 4 years got me out of bed happy this am.

GBJ and Pangos- better than coffee.

U Zig, I Zag
02-22-2011, 07:19 AM
We play two PG's at times this year, mostly because we are a hot mess and just trying to figure stuff out.

You can play two 'PG's' at this level, at the same time - especially if they are both good players. Each brings something different.

Angelo Roncalli
02-22-2011, 07:32 AM
Santangelo and Hall

Dickau and Stepp

Worked out pretty well....

bullzag23
02-22-2011, 08:00 AM
----- TOP QUIZ -----

Option A- He plays the shooting gaurd position, and averages 2.1 ppg, and rarely makes a difference in any game he plays all season long.

or

Option B- He starts at the PG position, averages 22 ppg, 7 assists, and 5 steals. He leads up to the Final Four, while making every single person on our team better because he runs the point so efficiently.

The answer is 'A', right? We clearly don't want him playing out of position. :o

ZagsObserver
02-22-2011, 09:08 AM
I could see two pgs in Gary Bell and Pangos. But does Carter play the 3 spot then? If Gary Bell and Pangos play the 1 and 2 spots interchangeably, Carter would either have to come off the bench or be a staple at the 3 spot.

Also, do you seen Dranginis as someone that could play the 3 spot due to his height, or is he more of a 2?

mgadfly
02-22-2011, 09:16 AM
I've never seen Pangos play, only video which is impressive, but I've seen Bell play a lot and I think it would be a mistake to take the ball out of his hands. First, I've read and heard that the reason he picked GU is because Few was one of the only coaches that told him they were recruiting him as a PG. If that is what Few told him, I don't see Few going back on it. Second, Bell isn't the best player running off picks without the ball (he's good, but not great). What he is amazing at is creating his own shot (and getting teammates involved) with the ball in his hands.

At least in HS, he is a lot like Dickau in that he puts an incredible amount of pressure on the opposing team by attacking the defense with the ball. If a guy gives too much ground he will step back and hit the three. If the opponent plays him tight he can go left or right and finish at the rim. If they pressure him and use help defense to prevent the drive he is more than willing to dish to teammates. He isn't a Morrison, Frahm, Gray type of player, at least to me.

CDC84
02-22-2011, 09:28 AM
It would not surprise me to see Marquise play some at the 3 next season. Especially if he keeps playing like this. Few will find a place for him.

It would be fantastic to have 3 playmaking guards on the floor who can score on next year's team to go along with the great frontcourt that Gonzaga will have.

Personally, I don't care who plays what position....I just want to see 5 guys on that basketball floor who can score.

Beer_Engineer
02-22-2011, 10:16 AM
----- TOP QUIZ -----

or

This is a little misleading question isnt it...?
Option C - Id rather GBJ score 40 ppg as a center

GUinSTL
02-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Santangelo and Hall

Dickau and Stepp

Worked out pretty well....

Okay, two guards are nice. But to drive the point home, see the '06 Villanova squad that featured Randy Foye, Allan Ray, Kyle Lowry... and occasionally, the lesser-skilled Mike Nardi.

Can't argue that it worked!
~B

MDABE80
02-22-2011, 11:43 AM
Sure can work Ang...remember Illinois from 5 years ago? We got mugged with their 3-4 guard offense.

U Zig, I Zag
02-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Just throwing this out there:

GBJ as a PG. That's what he wants, we need one. He is good. So good in fact that he is a 2-3 year player.

Pangos, had talked about RS (unless I am mistaken). He takes the RS, develops his game, has a few x-over years with GBJ and then *is* the PG Junior/Sr year.

Of course, Meech, Carter, Stockton have a bunch to say about this next year (and Stockton afterward) - so it's not like these new ones show up and play instantly, but there is some room where GU gets good guard play and the players get what they want (and what is good for them).

ZagsObserver
02-22-2011, 12:14 PM
We have a pretty big whole when Steven Gray leaves. If Gary Bell plays the 1 spot, then one of the two new guys Pangos or Dranginis would need to fill the two spot. We cannot have a Gray for Bell tradeoff next year and expect big things from the team. I think we have Bell and Pangos on the floor at the same time, and Carter/Arop/? at the 3 spot. Spangler, assuming Harris or Sacre don't leave, will probably redshirt.

Our 1 and 3 spots are step below the caliber of the rest of the team. Next year, when we lose Bell, that's 3 spots that need to be filled. Carter, with his improvement, could represent one-filled hole. We cannot have a stop-gap, but need significant production from those spots to do big things.

maynard g krebs
02-22-2011, 03:00 PM
"I'm not sure I know what a point guard is. All I know is if I have two guys who can handle the ball, pass it and shoot, I'm happy"

Bob Knight, during an ESPN telecast.

When Ryan Spangler pulls a rebound, it'll be really nice if he can look for either of two guys who can run the break, and outlet it to whoever's in the best position to get it downcourt quickly.

Bell and Pangos can both shoot it, and both can set each other up. Worked out ok for Deron Williams, Luther Head, and, darn it, can't think of the quick little guy, for Illinois. Three pg's starting, all averaging 5 assists or more.

Angelo nailed it.

DixieZag
02-22-2011, 04:27 PM
I love this kid already. Like I do every recruit. With Carter going into his senior year, I see Bell and Carter starting, perhaps Meech also with Carter at the three. Pangos redshirts his freshman year b/c there is a build-up of ball handling guards with Stockton. There is a good chance that Bell would not be here for 4 years or even 3 years like Austin (our last recruit this highly touted) - so we would have Pangos playing his first year when Bell might be in his last.

ZagsObserver
02-22-2011, 04:32 PM
No offense Dixie, but I highly doubt that the lineup you suggested is better than this year's lineup. Based on the guys coming in, that shouldn't be the case. A simple tradeoff of Bell for Gray will not make this team significantly better (I'm not sure it would make the team better at all). If Gary Bell Jr. holds the 1 or two spots, one of either Dranginis or Pangos would need to control either the two or three spots or this team is not that great next year. Sometimes you have to play the five best players, and work your offense/defensive schemes accordingly. Next year is one of those years.

FuManShoes
02-22-2011, 05:38 PM
Next year, when we lose Bell, that's 3 spots that need to be filled.

Thought that would just slip past us, did ya? The hype machine is alive and well!

Pleasant Peninsula
02-22-2011, 05:41 PM
Bell and Pangos can both shoot it, and both can set each other up. Worked out ok for Deron Williams, Luther Head, and, darn it, can't think of the quick little guy, for Illinois.

Dee Brown.

ZagsObserver
02-22-2011, 08:20 PM
Sorry Funman - meant, after this year when we lose Gray, three spots will need to be filled. Assuming Carter continues to improve, that might be two spot. Merely filling one spot puts us at status quo.

cjm720
02-23-2011, 07:30 AM
He is clearly a 2 in college.

----- TOP QUIZ -----

or

FuManShoes
02-23-2011, 07:46 AM
----- TOP QUIZ -----

or

Option A worked out pretty well for Davidson. If you have a credible PG to distribute to your jitterbug SG, who also has PG skills, things tend to work out.

webspinnre
02-24-2011, 12:07 PM
I think sometimes we get a bit caught up in the whole 1/2 thing. Pangos is clearly a pure point guard, where Gary has a bit more of the combo guard thing going on. More importantly is the fact that we'll have two guys who we're comfortable having the ball in their hands, running the offense and making plays. Plus, they can't both be on the court all the time, so at times when its just Gary, he'd be the primary ballhandler. As long as both point guards can also shoot and create offense, and aren't one dimensional, there's nothign wrong with having two of them on the floor at the same time.

MDABE80
02-24-2011, 12:31 PM
Quite the problem.......having Bell, Pangos, Carter, Meech and David.;)
Quite the problem.......having Rob, Sam, Spangler and Elias down low.
Quite the problem.......having MM , Arop and Kyle on the wings/ SF....:)