PDA

View Full Version : Check out the box score from the previous St. Mary's game

gozagswoohoo
02-21-2011, 12:39 PM
I thought there were a couple interesting things here...

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i228/gozagswoohoo/box.jpg

First- Carter played 21 min and only shot twice. He will be MUCH more productive in the same amount of minutes against SMC. I'm not sayin he is gonna drop 18-20 again, but I expect more from him this go round.

Gray- One for five from the arc.

Sacre- Not his best game from the field.

Goodson- Went 0-6 from the field.

This just wasn't our best game for a number of reasons. I agree with what everyone has been saying, Gonzaga is the better team. If we bring "it", we win this game. But we'd better be ready bec/ the St. Mary's fans will be ready for some redemption after this little rough stretch they've had recently.

Anything else you find interesting from this box score?

TheZagPhish
02-21-2011, 12:43 PM

Stockton's lack of scoring. If Carter gets going, that could also provide a window for Stock to shoot. Stretch the defense, score from everywhere.

gozagswoohoo
02-21-2011, 12:49 PM
Also, harris had one of his better games (and we all remember how he played LAST season at Moraga).

I also remember the frustration we all felt about Dower playing SO well, but only logging 16-17 minutes. He played excellent that night.

Mantua
02-21-2011, 12:51 PM
MM got too many points inside the arc. How do we stop that?

thickman1
02-21-2011, 12:53 PM
Rob Jones playing 38 minutes. SMC is a different team when he is on the bench. Get him in foul trouble!

madness
02-21-2011, 01:03 PM

and he only took five 3s! Which looks ridiculous next to Dova's 9. It seemed like Few was ordering a quick switch on MM rather than a hedge, which was causing mismatches and MM driving to the hoop with poor help rotation.

I think this is what Few needs to hammer home. Continue with the tight D and switching, but he needs to get the team involved. Some teams will even go into a zone after one switch (box+1) to handle a talented player like MM.

chirguy
02-21-2011, 01:03 PM
Defense: You can't lag off the perimeter players of St Maries, they'll burn you.
Rebound: Don't give them any extra possessions
Hustle: Play with Heart like Hart.

tinfoilzag
02-21-2011, 01:28 PM

Because of their outside shooting and their spacing, it makes it ideal for their guards to break us down off the dribble.

I don't mind giving them 10 footers all night if it means we don't allow layups off of the penetration and dish or transition 3's. Rob is key for defending the isolated pick and roll.

That's the poison I would pick.

We have to pick up their guards 30' feet out. It's a shame we don't have a physical guard like Matt. He dominated Dova physically last year and made him work so hard on D that his offense suffered.

Mantua
02-21-2011, 01:45 PM
Because of their outside shooting and their spacing, it makes it ideal for their guards to break us down off the dribble.

I don't mind giving them 10 footers all night if it means we don't allow layups off of the penetration and dish or transition 3's. Rob is key for defending the isolated pick and roll.

That's the poison I would pick.

We have to pick up their guards 30' feet out. It's a shame we don't have a physical guard like Matt. He dominated Dova physically last year and made him work so hard on D that his offense suffered.

Our FG % in the first half was 36.7. I think Sacre needs to be protected from fouls. The refs are my biggest concern after the last game. Point production is our best bet against the reffing. Shoot lights out guys!

tobizag
02-21-2011, 01:55 PM
what jumps out to me is steven fouling out. he made it too easy for the refs to call those offensive fouls on him.

if i'm steven, i'd say either jack bombs or take pull up jumpers off of picks, but don't attempt to drive and pull up, as you'll likely be called for a push off. if you're going to drive, go all the way and live at the line.

northsidezagfan
02-21-2011, 02:02 PM
What jumps out at me is they scored more points than us. If we can fix that I like our chances. But on a more serious note, we just need to keep their big 3 under control. If our guards can penetrate and get their guards in a bit of foul trouble that would be huge, because it will be tough to guard Delly and Mickey for 40 minutes again. Gray being in foul trouble really hurt us, but I think McConnell being in foul trouble would be an even bigger blow to them.

titopoet
02-21-2011, 02:27 PM
What jumps out is that SMC shot 57% from 2. USU and San Diego showed that if you shut off the cutters and don't allow the 2, SMC can't hit enough 3s to beat you. Play they way we did at Portland and they chances for a W are so good.

DADoZAG
02-21-2011, 03:07 PM
what jumps out to me is steven fouling out. he made it too easy for the refs to call those offensive fouls on him.

if i'm steven, i'd say either jack bombs or take pull up jumpers off of picks, but don't attempt to drive and pull up, as you'll likely be called for a push off. if you're going to drive, go all the way and live at the line.

I remember feeling as if Dellavedova was in Stevens head a bit. Not Mr. Gray's best performance, that's for sure. Trying to do too much.

Stop and pop, the elbow is your friend.

Both Gray and Carter should be able to score around the top of the paint. If it's covered, the lob pass to the rim won't be.

Go ZAGS! Beat St. Mary's!!

Baldwinzag
02-21-2011, 04:25 PM
Monninghoff probably played 15-20 mins more than he should have/deserved vs SMC --- would have liked to see more time time given to Dower, Carter, and Olynyk.

JPtheBeasta
02-21-2011, 05:53 PM

Micky and one of their bigs was using pick-and-roll ad nauseum. We need to do a better job hedge better on the pick and roll, IMO. I would like to see a trap by the big and the trailer on the screen and see how SMC handles it. Teams do it against us a fair amount effectively, and it essentially causes us to reset the offense.

I also wouldn't mind us picking up early and harassing him well before he gets to the 3-point line. Keep him from shooting and make them set up the pick-and-roll farther out than they are used to.

The armchair coach has spoken. May stopping MM starts with more wind-sprints.

bballbeachbum
02-21-2011, 07:14 PM

Steven had that responsibility, Matt some, and like you said, they made him work hard, etc.

bballbeachbum
02-21-2011, 07:26 PM
Hart had only 2 minutes. That kid's play has been inspiring. can I get a Tom Peabody anyone?

NotoriousZ
02-21-2011, 07:38 PM

Gray fouling out and Sacre in limited minutes with 4 fouls. There were a couple of games in conference play where we didn't get ticky-tacked to death. I hope the let 'em play.

Akzag
02-22-2011, 07:01 AM
I remember being surprised that neither Manny or Keita played ... the beginning of what turned out to be more the norm, than the exception.

gozagswoohoo
02-22-2011, 07:15 AM
I remember being surprised that neither Manny or Keita played ... the beginning of what turned out to be more the norm, than the exception.

I've been wondering lately......we haven't had a set rotation all season long. At all. I mean...just weeks ago (this box score) you can see how drastically different the players playing time and roles were.

And its made me wonder....is that just because the coaching staff hasn't quite figured out the lineup that they feel (maybe until now) meshed the best together? Or different guys are just stepping up in practice and earning more time? Or its just continued to change as of late because guys are sick?

I doubt there is a real clear cut answer...and is likely just a combination of all of these...

Zag4Hire
02-22-2011, 08:13 AM
I expect the Gael Force to be all over another dirty player just like Wesley, the bruiser called Robert Sacre. Swinging such vicious elbows when USF was clearly trying to poke the ball away by climbing on his back and stepping all over Benson when both Rob Jones and the ref were 'clearly' trying to prevent such an occurence.

In all seriousness, be wary of the wounded beast. SMC may look to be skidding but they obviously were looking past USD and Utah State is a really good team. This will be in their house and a chance for them to dispel the demons. However, this team doesn't have the post players of the past like a Simpson or Samhan and I think this could easily be their downfall. Play hard and expect no quarter from the refs, fans, SMC players, etc.

VinnyZag
02-22-2011, 08:44 AM
15 and 13 for Rob Jones is what stands out to me. That and GU's measly 29-26 rebounding edge against a team that clearly has a size disadvantage.

If McConnell and Delavadova are the only Gaels in double figures on Thursday, I think GU wins.

bullzag23
02-22-2011, 09:17 AM
Our FT defense was pretty solid, allowing only 69% from the stripe :p

229SintoZag
02-22-2011, 11:09 AM
what strikes me about this box score?

Sam Dower scored 15 points in 16 minutes. This is by FAR the highest points-to-minutes-played ratio of any of our players and it is not even close. He only missed one shot of any sort, he made a three, made both free throws he took, he was 6-7 from the field, he had a steal, a block, and 5 rebounds. All in 16 minutes.

Dower, inexplicably, sat for the last 4-8 minutes of our loss the SMC. Few benched him so that a (then) very unproductive Harris could take the floor.

Dower needs to see much more PT on Thursday.

gamagin
02-22-2011, 11:19 AM
what strikes me about this box score?

Sam Dower scored 15 points in 16 minutes. This is by FAR the highest points-to-minutes-played ratio of any of our players and it is not even close. He only missed one shot of any sort, he made a three, made both free throws he took, he was 6-7 from the field, he had a steal, a block, and 5 rebounds. All in 16 minutes.

Dower, inexplicably, sat for the last 4-8 minutes of our loss the SMC. Few benched him so that a (then) very unproductive Harris could take the floor.

Dower needs to see much more PT on Thursday.

MF seems to coach by the clock at times. very frustrating. Instead of letting the hot hand stay and keep going or playing out. Jerry Sloan used to coach this way @ Utah. You could set your watch by his subbing. It was uncanny. MF seems to do the same, too often for my tastes.

Das Zagger
02-22-2011, 11:27 AM

SMC committed more fouls than Gonzaga, I thought there was some conspiracy to keep the highest branded WCC team out of the limelight.

U Zig, I Zag
02-22-2011, 11:55 AM
MF seems to coach by the clock at times. very frustrating. Instead of letting the hot hand stay and keep going or playing out. Jerry Sloan used to coach this way @ Utah. You could set your watch by his subbing. It was uncanny. MF seems to do the same, too often for my tastes.

I will add that he coaches with negative reinforcement too often... ie, you make a bad play or take an ill-advised shot and you get yanked.

Frankly, this late in the year we need some players to play from their hearts and play with some instincts and bravado. If Sam misses 3 in a row and isn't getting burned on D, leave him in there! You know he is gonna hit his next 4.

bullzag23
02-22-2011, 01:50 PM
I will add that he coaches with negative reinforcement too often... ie, you make a bad play or take an ill-advised shot and you get yanked.

Frankly, this late in the year we need some players to play from their hearts and play with some instincts and bravado. If Sam misses 3 in a row and isn't getting burned on D, leave him in there! You know he is gonna hit his next 4.

I think it's more important that Sam knows he's going to hit those next 4 shots. This kid is as confident on offense as they come and it shows.

gozagswoohoo
02-22-2011, 01:56 PM
I agree on Dower. I've already made the comment to a couple of people that I think he is probably as solid of a freshman big man that Gonzaga has EVER had.

Zag-I-Potamus
02-22-2011, 02:30 PM
Three Gaels with 4 fouls
Two Gaels with 3 fouls and
Zero Gaels Fouled Out

In SMC v USU Rob Jones fouled out with 10:29 to go Ė thatís huge, leaving Mitchell Young exposed.

Steven fouled out of the SMC game on a weak offensive foul call; what bothered me about it is he made the same move less than a minute earlier.

Olynyk didnít take a shot!

rijman
02-22-2011, 07:09 PM
I've been wondering lately......we haven't had a set rotation all season long. At all. I mean...just weeks ago (this box score) you can see how drastically different the players playing time and roles were.

And its made me wonder....is that just because the coaching staff hasn't quite figured out the lineup that they feel (maybe until now) meshed the best together? Or different guys are just stepping up in practice and earning more time? Or its just continued to change as of late because guys are sick?

I doubt there is a real clear cut answer...and is likely just a combination of all of these...
An ex Zags player explained this to me last week that Few and staff is giving the PT to the players who are hot, which is why Carter has played the most minutes in the past two games combined. He expects the starting lineup and rotations will continue to change game to game.