PDA

View Full Version : The Count

willandi
02-20-2011, 07:08 PM
Just looked at the standings page on ESPN.com, and there are 33 auto bids into the tournament. That leaves 35 at large bids. Going through and looking at the records etc. and expecting a team be .500 in conference etc. and giving 10 slots to the big east, the WCC would have the last 2 slots, the last at large. I know I didn't use RPI, Sagarin, Kenpom etc., but the eyeball test says that if we don't tank, and meet SMC in the WCC finals, both teams could get in. It is becoming my new mantra!!
I still would like to win out, through the WCC tourney, and not leave it up to a room of AD's all touting their own horns. Take all the doubt out!! It just surprised me to actually look and see how close it is. They could give the slot to Marquette, with a worse record and that lost to us, but I like to think that not evrybody wants to job the Zags as bad as the WCC seems to.

FieldHouseFishHouse
02-20-2011, 07:24 PM
I have good news.
The Independents and the Great West Conference don't get auto-bids. That means 31 auto-bids and 37 at-large bids.

And bad news.
The last 4 at-large bids play their way in. That leaves 33 "real" at-large bids, one down from last year's 34.

gamagin
02-20-2011, 07:58 PM
Just looked at the standings page on ESPN.com, and there are 33 auto bids into the tournament. That leaves 35 at large bids. Going through and looking at the records etc. and expecting a team be .500 in conference etc. and giving 10 slots to the big east, the WCC would have the last 2 slots, the last at large. I know I didn't use RPI, Sagarin, Kenpom etc., but the eyeball test says that if we don't tank, and meet SMC in the WCC finals, both teams could get in. It is becoming my new mantra!!
I still would like to win out, through the WCC tourney, and not leave it up to a room of AD's all touting their own horns. Take all the doubt out!! It just surprised me to actually look and see how close it is. They could give the slot to Marquette, with a worse record and that lost to us, but I like to think that not evrybody wants to job the Zags as bad as the WCC seems to.

thanks

EngineerZag
02-20-2011, 08:23 PM
I think if we win out until the WCC tourney title game, then lose, we have a decent case for an at-large ... but it wouldn't surprise me if we didn't get it.

In that scenario, St. Mary's only gets in if they are the ones winning the title game IMO, which is not a guarantee based on how they've been playing. I think our at-large resume is better than theirs especially if we beat them next week.

bigblahla
02-21-2011, 12:19 AM
I think if we win out until the WCC tourney title game, then lose,

I have never ever thought that GU would lose a game before it started. Doesn't make any sense to me. Oh well, to each their own,

Go!! Zags!!!

VaBeachZAG
02-21-2011, 05:07 AM
Going down the stretch we play no ranked teams. If we lose one more game it will be to an unranked team. This means only one thing, the only WCC team going to the tournament is the conference champ. I just hope the team and coaches realize this and play like there is no tomorrow, because if we lose one more game this season we will be playing in the Not Invited Tournament!!!!

Edit: When I say lose one more game I am, of course, talking about the league tournament championship game.

GoZags
02-21-2011, 05:23 AM
Going down the stretch we play no ranked teams. If we lose one more game it will be to an unranked team. This means only one thing, the only WCC team going to the tournament is the conference champ. I just hope the team and coaches realize this and play like there is no tomorrow, because if we lose one more game this season we will be playing in the Not Invited Tournament!!!!

Edit: When I say lose one more game I am, of course, talking about the league tournament championship game.

I am unclear why you're referencing "ranked" teams. Rankings are not a part of any criteria that is looked at by the selection committee. OTOH, top 100 RPI is looked at, as is top 50 and top 25.

There's a chance for 2 top 50 games and 1 more top 100 game. GU already has 6 top 100 wins (same as Washington and a host of others). Avoiding a loss to a sub 100 team is critical at this point.

Beat St. Mary's.

willandi
02-21-2011, 05:42 AM
I neglected to add to my original post that the Zags need ALL the favorites to win their conference tournaments, and all the bubble teams to lose.
Take a look yourselves and do the count. It could be off by one or 2, but teams that look like they should be in, based on win totals and conference affiliation are what I am looking at.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/standings
I counted but forgot that there were on e or two that don't have auto bids. What it means to me is, if we win out or have 1 loss to SMC either this week or in the tourney, and the teams that SHOULD win do, and those that should lose do, my tiny brain thinks we are in.
That being said, lets just win them all a remove any doubts!!
GO ZAGS!!!!