PDA

View Full Version : Trended "Runs" lately

Hoopaholic
02-20-2011, 04:04 PM
I loved our huge run against USF 2minutes and 26 seconds we go on a 16-2 spurt to hand the "dons" their jock strap and told them the game was over:

Carter for 3--Assist Goodson
Goodson for 2 on a jumper
Williams forced into turnover
Carter for 2 on a jumper
Goodson Defensive Rebound
Gray for 3
Harris Defensive Rebound
Sacre with a block
Goodson for 3-assist to Carter

Awesome run, defense and team ball movement getting the ball to the hot hand was key to this run

BUT a trend is still out there that has me concerned.....ENDING the games with NO OFFENSIVE OUTPUT

This game we went the last 7;42 with only 2 buckets....actually went almost 6 minutes before we got one bucket

Now if this was a single game issue, with the score being how it was, I could look the other way. but this is becoming a trend over the last 6 or 7 games in which our offense in the last 8 minutes of a game has left us.....

IF we are to make a push we cannot have this continue and HAVE to figure out how to get offensive production

DixieZag
02-20-2011, 04:19 PM
At least last night and quite possibly on the two on the road I think part of the problem is we had relatively big leads and GU did what many teams do with leads of greater than 10 and that is run the clock down 20 seconds before they really start looking for a shot, trading time for points.

But, I do realize that we have problems finishing games generally and against SCU had they been able to make a basket we could have had serious problems.

Hoopaholic
02-20-2011, 05:03 PM
USF 7;42 to end of game 2 baskets

SC 7;38 to end of first half 2 baskets (but 6 free throws)

15 min mark to the 6;15 mark 3 baskets

Pepperdine 10:40 to 3;01 mark 1rst half 2 free throws

5;48 to 1;56 second half 1 basket

8;33 to end of game second half 3 baskets

14;18 to end of game second half only 5 baskets

LMU 9:25 to 3;50 1rst half 1 basket

15;38 to 4;07 2nd half no baskets 8 free throws

15;38 to end of game 3 baskets

Memphis 7;43 to end of half 2 baskets

Portland 17;57 to 13;43 1rst half 1 basket

9;33 to end 2 baskets

extended droughts have to be cleaned up if we are going to win Thursday and in Vegas and then into the tournament.......good solid teams dont have these extended droughts as frequently as we have seen last 6 or 7 games

kitzbuel
02-20-2011, 05:27 PM
I loved our huge run against USF 2minutes and 26 seconds we go on a 16-2 spurt to hand the "dons" their jock strap and told them the game was over:

Goodson for 2 on a jumper
Williams forced into turnover
Carter for 2 on a jumper
Goodson Defensive Rebound
Gray for 3
Harris Defensive Rebound
Sacre with a block
Goodson for 3-assist to Carter

Awesome run, defense and team ball movement getting the ball to the hot hand was key to this run

BUT a trend is still out there that has me concerned.....ENDING the games with NO OFFENSIVE OUTPUT

This game we went the last 7;42 with only 2 buckets....actually went almost 6 minutes before we got one bucket

Now if this was a single game issue, with the score being how it was, I could look the other way. but this is becoming a trend over the last 6 or 7 games in which our offense in the last 8 minutes of a game has left us.....

IF we are to make a push we cannot have this continue and HAVE to figure out how to get offensive production

The Zags were actually 3-10 over the last 7:22; Elias, Carter and Gray each scored. The Dons were slightly better at 3-9 over the same stretch.

Bulldog
02-20-2011, 05:44 PM
We won, thats what counts.

Mantua
02-20-2011, 06:38 PM
What does the score need to be at the 5 min mark in order for fans to relax?
10. ?
15. ?
20. ?

GrizZAG
02-21-2011, 05:44 AM
Ok, it looks like to me what Few does is start protecting a lead too early IMO. Yes, we need to burn clock when we are up ten at 6 minutes, we have the lead....BUT!

It seems when I watch ACC or Big East ball, it it peddle to the metal to the end...period. They play like pants on fire to the end regardless of lead. The margin of win can be very high and the game scores run high as a result.

There is so much psychology to this or any sport going on. It just seems logical to me that winning by 30+ at times would build confidence, get swagger and send a pretty strong message to upcoming opponents. Yes, winning is our ultimate goal and good enough, but we let too many crawl up our door at the end of many games it seems and sometimes we get burned.

No "relax"...ever! Use those time outs....

Birddog
02-21-2011, 06:03 AM
It's not so much that they start to burn the clock, it's how they do it. You'll always hear a large groan and some cussing from my area when it starts.
I wouldn't mind the clock burn, but keep the ball moving and keep looking for the easy basket. If it is there, take it no matter what the time remaining. It would probably be best if half the time was drained, but still, take a gimme if it's there. I have the same feeling when they pound the ball in the end of half scenario. It's extrememly frustrating, borderline torture to watch.

Hoopaholic
02-21-2011, 06:47 AM
I agree about burning the clock.....maybe I am getting old but dont remember us doing this type of basketball last 5 or 6 years.....