PDA

View Full Version : Jealous of the Big-10...

Therunner
02-20-2011, 09:57 AM
They have the best refs & most consistent officiating, hands down.

Their officials actually let them play basketball. Its evident they know the difference b/w a charge & block. Also, not every single shot attempt inside the arc is an automatic foul. This allows team's to gain momentum, crowd stays in it, & almost zero flopping. Physical play & hard-nosed hustle is rewarded instead of punished.

As you can tell, currently watching Ohio St-Purdue on CBS.

rijman
02-20-2011, 10:14 AM
They have the best refs & most consistent officiating, hands down.

Their officials actually let them play basketball. Its evident they know the difference b/w a charge & block.
I thought I knew the difference between a charge and a block although after last nights game I realize I missed the announcement of the rules change in the WCC. Apparently the WCC no longer allows the offensive ball handler to get run into by a defender going to the basket with drawing a foul on the ball handler. Apparently it's up to the offensive player to avoid the collisions with defenders running into them. I remember back in the day, it seems as though it was just last week, a defender had to set their feet to draw a charge.

JosephZags
02-20-2011, 10:21 AM
It's becoming a real problem, and it's not just in the WCC. It seems that more often than not, if there is a collision under or near the basket, it is called a charge, regardless of whether or not the opponent has his feet set.

The other thing that drives me crazy is foul calls on 3 point shooters. 75% of the time there is little to no contact, but the shooter flops, and the foul is called.

A to Zags
02-20-2011, 10:56 AM
Rich Falk, as assistant commissioner of the Big 10 conference
was responsible for assigning and evaluating referees until he just recently retired. As a former all Big 10 player and head coach at Northwestern his background was perfect for the job. He told me once how much time he spent evaluating every game and every referee. It was Thorough!!
That has to be a very good reason for the quality job they do. Does the WCC have a similar person whose sole job is to improve the quality of our refs?

LynetteG
02-20-2011, 11:08 AM
I would agree with the B10 ref comment except for ref Ed Hightower, who likes to interject himself into every friggin game... much like a former ref, now commissioner we all know.

RenoZag
02-20-2011, 11:09 AM
Does the WCC have a similar person whose sole job is to improve the quality of our refs?

Yes. . .Dave Libbey. . .
:rolleyes:

LynetteG
02-20-2011, 12:04 PM
Yes. . .Dave Libbey. . .
:rolleyes:
Reno, you quoted the wrong question for this answer... ;)

TokyoZag
02-20-2011, 01:51 PM
The quality of reffing and (TV exposure) was much higher when we played on Mondays.

Few didn't like it because the kids didn't get a day off (currently sunday).