PDA

View Full Version : Zags win, RPI drops

23dpg
02-20-2011, 07:51 AM
According to ESPN daily RPI, the Zags dropped from 68 to 71 with the win. With games left against St. Marys, San Diego and Cal St. Bakersfield, I wouldn't expect it to go up much if at all, even if they sweep.

Bottom line, win in Vegas.

GoZags
02-20-2011, 08:16 AM
Zags win, now in every reliable pundit's at large field.

Beat St Mary's.

kitzbuel
02-20-2011, 08:19 AM
I would settle now for the Zags just winning the next game.

23dpg
02-20-2011, 08:30 AM
I know that they are "in" with a lot of bracketologists now, but they are in a group of last 4 in. ESPN has them as the second to the last in. My point is that they may indeed make the field as an at large but in no way is it a sure thing.

If they lose the WCC final, I'm sweating out selection Sunday. How bout you?

VaBeachZAG
02-20-2011, 09:13 AM
We play no ranked teams for the remainder of the sechedule (including WCC tournament). Lose another game to an unranked team and there will be no at large invite. The reality is (and probably has been for some time) that there will only be one WCC team in the big dance. Clinging onto the hope of an at-large bid is just fantasy at this point. So, its win the WCC tournament or go play with the uninvited.

ZagAddict
02-20-2011, 10:04 AM
We play no ranked teams for the remainder of the sechedule (including WCC tournament). Lose another game to an unranked team and there will be no at large invite. The reality is (and probably has been for some time) that there will only be one WCC team in the big dance. Clinging onto the hope of an at-large bid is just fantasy at this point. So, its win the WCC tournament or go play with the uninvited.

+1

Teams with RPI's in the 70's don't get invite to Big Dance. The Zags MUST win on March 7th in Vegas...

I REALLY would like to see GU win on Thursday against SMC to keep the regular season championship streak alive and extended to 11 season... something that is really incredible.

FieldHouseFishHouse
02-20-2011, 06:21 PM
+1

Teams with RPI's in the 70's don't get invite to Big Dance. The Zags MUST win on March 7th in Vegas...

I REALLY would like to see GU win on Thursday against SMC to keep the regular season championship streak alive and extended to 11 season... something that is really incredible.

It has happened. Google "New Mexico At-Large RPI 74", or "Air Force At-LArge RPI 70". And those were 65 team tourneys.

But this year a team in the 70s with an at-large would almost certainly be in a play-in game. An automatic bid negates that possibility. In that sense the auto-bid is almost like a bye for a team on the bubble.