PDA

View Full Version : Box score and other musings

Birddog
02-20-2011, 07:21 AM
http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2010-2011/gonmb28.html
This has to be the worst stat line for Sacre all season. Was he sick or just having an off night?
Only 7 to's and just 3 unforced, that's a winner almost every time.

Watched the 2nd half of the Utah St/SMC game. The Aggies played a zone that was very effective. Normally, you break a zone by shooting over it, something that the Gaels do well. Last night was a different story, the Aggies hedged and shut down SMC's 3 balls. The Aggies also had the best base line offensive moves I've seen all year and it gave the Gaels fits, 3 guys fouling out. I'll be anxious to see what the Zags throw at SMC, their confidence has to be down.

Carter has found the speed of the game and adjusted his own to it. He hurries when nec, and slows it down when appropriate. He's starting to make it look effortless. Homer and Jethro said he's been showing it in practice for some time. It sure is a pleasure to see it in crunch time, and I never thought just 5 games back that it would happen this year if at all.

Reborn
02-20-2011, 07:40 AM
Thanks for posting the link to the stats, Birdog. I was just about to go there. I was most impressed with the turnover difference. USF had 18 and the Zags 7, and no player for the Zags had more than one. I also think that the Zags got lots of points off USF's turnovers. The explosion of three pointers from all over the place was really fun to watch. It felt like the 4th of July to me.

The Zags are certainly getting closer and closer to playing like the team we dreamed of in September. They have a ways to go, but there is time. One day at a time. One game at a time. They have been able to do that, and that will be the key to their continued success. And now there are two teams still standing. It's been a really exciting season, and the best is yet to come.

zagzilla
02-20-2011, 07:45 AM
Didn't see the game but Sacre's line was the first thing I wondered about Why did he only play 16 minutes?

Did he get hurt? Looked like he sat the second half. Possibly more flu?

Or was he just having an off night and Feww went with hotter hands

In any case, we're gonna need a full tilt boogie from Big Rob Thursday

ZZ

rijman
02-20-2011, 08:08 AM
The turnover stats were great. I also liked that there were only 28 personal fouls called, well down from 51 last game. Another key stat was the Zags 2nd half 3's, 6 for 12, which was a nice improvement over the first half where they went 2 for 13. I also like Carter's line, 7 for 10 with 18 pts, 5 boards, 3 assists and 3 steals.

I'm surprised when I see the 5 who played the most minutes;

34 Gray
34 Carter
26 Harris
25 Stockton
21 Dower

That's not what I expected at the start of the season although this was not a typical game with Sacre playing only 16 minutes. Carter has played the most minutes in the past 2 games and I don't expect that to change through the WCC tourney.

bballbeachbum
02-20-2011, 09:09 AM
another stat of note: GU surrendered only 5 o boards to USF on 33 misses forced. Blackwell didn't play, that's also true to note, and would bet that's what Walters is selling to his team and what they may believe. still, surrendering only 5 is big and a Team accomplishment this team can and must continue to win. completes the D, ignites the break, stifles the opposition, etc.

surfmonkey89
02-20-2011, 09:54 AM
I don't think you can say he was having an off night when he only took three shots.

I'd like to think that it's a combination of being a little burned out from playing for six straight months and carrying the team on his back the last two, but who knows.

Would be great if a "journalist" would ask that question, but that's why I put it in quotes to begin with.

Hoopaholic
02-20-2011, 10:56 AM
in league play it is like a heavyweight title fight...punch, counter punch

sacre was Zags first SUCKER punch to the rest of the league.

The league was "rocked and stunned" but having good coaching they re-established and created a game plan to limit the TOUCHES of Sacre

Gonzaga has taken that counterpunch and punched back with a guard oreinted option

The big question is NOW WHAT will the rest of the league do when we have the one two punch available......

and the knock out blow will be EH steppping up in consistent manner

Mantua
02-20-2011, 11:11 AM
I think Rob has been playing while he's been ill which Is maybe why he is not recovering quickly. If they had had road games this week, I wonder if he would have stayed home. I hope that he can get some rest before hitting the road for the next games.

Overall, the Zags are playing much more as a team and the defensive stats are looking good. A healthy Rob would make this team very dangerous.

DixieZag
02-20-2011, 11:35 AM
There was one rebound that Rob got and instead of his usual standing strong and firing an outlet pass, he literally scooped it underhanded 6 or 7 feet to the guard. Rob is either totally gassed or sick - or a combo of both. I like that we have Dower (and ko to some extent) able to take up the slack, but we really need a healthy, strong Rob down in Moraga, for shot blocking as much as anything.