• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FlyZag
    Bleeds GU Blue
    • Nov 2007

Arop?

Quick question: Arop didn't even get into the game for the mop up minutes with Keita. Any reason mentioned publicly?

Sorry if I missed this in another thread.
  • Zag@LMU
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2011

The downfall of Arop has been curious to me. I remember I was in Vegas last year when he broke his foot, and everyone looked like their dog had just been shot. Arop was a catalyst on our team and a very important part.

But this year, honestly with the current 1st Team All-WCC play that Carter has been giving, I haven't missed Arop one bit. Yeah, it would be great for him to be coming off the bench and providing a big lift, but where are you going to get him in? For Hart?

Everyone was complaining earlier that our rotation was too big. Well now that it has been shortened, Arop and Keita are on the outside looking in, and everyone is wondering why theyre not playing. You can only divide the 200 total minutes up so many different ways. And if its not broke, why fix it?
    "Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• GoZags
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Manny played at the end.

I've got a feeling he'll help the Zags in a key situation at some point this season.

But for now, Zags have won 6 in a row in conference.

Beat St. Mary's.
      sigpic
      “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
      ——-
      List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
      Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• ZagsObserver
        Zag for Life
        • Jan 2010

I think people are perplexed because the 3-spot is weak, and he represents the man that could fill that whole. I still think he has the best skills on the team for the 3-spot...I think he's the best at that spot TODAY, and could be a game changer with his high ceiling on both sides of the court.

Comment

• Zag 77
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Satisfied?

Arop listed in box score with 2 minutes. He finally got in. Can we please stop beating a dead horse?

When the coaches think he is ready based on what he does in practice and can contribute, he will play. I am still ticked he could not hit a free throw to save his life at USF (1-6). He has 2 more years to get a great education at a great university and get a degree. FOR FREE !!!!! After all the basketball is over, that is really the most important thing, ain't it?

You know, I suspect that if you ask Manny if he is unhappy in life, I suspect he would think you are nuts. Look at his background and the horrors of Sudan where he fled from. You really think he cares that much about if he gets as many minutes as somebody else? Only we who live relatively spoiled lives would think in those terms.

Basta Ragazzi !!

Comment

• MDABE80
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Recovering from Flu. He'll be fine. Still not up to speed.

Comment

• 2wiceright
              Bleeds GU Blue
              • Dec 2007

As compared to when he was young- he's probably very happy. But any basketball player at this level (and all the hours it took to get here) takes a very competitive spirit. I disagree, and I would guess his (supposed) unhappiness of losing his playing time may be showing thru to the coaches. It can become a catch 22 (playing time). If he is showing the least bit of pouting or unhappiness from not playing it will extend the time he's benched (of course, my opinion only). However, if he exhibits total selflessness and is on his feet cheering all thru the games, as well as tearing up in practice, then he gets another shot. I sure miss him and especially his offensive rebounding and defense. I think overall he is right now a much more threat offensively than Mathis Mooninghoff due to his ability to score off the dribble, set shot, drive, etc. One bad night at the line (no matter how clutch) should not in itself take him out of the rotation (unless it reallly affected his confidence)...Mooninghoff will be a real threat in a year or two, but doesn't seem to do more than drift to the corners and hit one open three a game on average - again IMHO.
              "Blake Stepp had a reputation for saying little. That's probably because he had to clench his teeth and wince so much, playing through the pain."
              -Tales From the Gonzaga Hardwood

Comment

• 2wiceright
                Bleeds GU Blue
                • Dec 2007

Manny

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
                Recovering from Flu. He'll be fine. Still not up to speed.
                If that's the case Abe, it's the best news I've heard since San Diego beat St. Maries!!! I really believe he can help this years team immensly...
                "Blake Stepp had a reputation for saying little. That's probably because he had to clench his teeth and wince so much, playing through the pain."
                -Tales From the Gonzaga Hardwood

Comment

• DZ
                  Zag for Life
                  • Sep 2007

From what I have seen he has not been pouting on the bench during games, he has been up congratulating teamates and smiling during warm-ups, joking with guys.

He may be upset about P.T. - I hope it is the flu and after-effect, but his demeanor does not indicate someone moping about, exact opposite.
                  Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                  Mark Twain.

Comment

• Jedster
                    Bleeds GU Blue
                    • Oct 2009

My opinion, but I think Arop's decline in minutes has coincided with the advent of having 3 guards on the floor. As we struggled throughout the first half of the season, trying to find ways to consistently move the ball and get it into our bigs, Few has shifted to having 3 guards on the floor. You see a lot of 3 of Carter, Gray, Meech and Stockton out there. This has really helped our offense move the ball around better in the half court. Not great yet, but we have much better flow in the game.

Comment

• Hoopaholic
                      • Mar 2008

Zagobserver,

So you think AROP is best at 3 slot...better than SG who has been playing the 3 slot last 4-5 games?

AROP will play important minutes against some teams. He has issues when we play against 3 guard teams, but will be HUGE when we see teams with 2 guards and a true 3 slot.
                      The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• kitzbuel
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Jedster View Post
                        My opinion, but I think Arop's decline in minutes has coincided with the advent of having 3 guards on the floor. As we struggled throughout the first half of the season, trying to find ways to consistently move the ball and get it into our bigs, Few has shifted to having 3 guards on the floor. You see a lot of 3 of Carter, Gray, Meech and Stockton out there. This has really helped our offense move the ball around better in the half court. Not great yet, but we have much better flow in the game.
                        This is my observation also. With Carter and Meech/Stockton playing the guard slots who does Arop take time from? SG? EH?
                        'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                        - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• gamagin
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

excellent thread ! ! ! !

I wonder why it hasn't been discussed before ? ? ?
                          Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
                          Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
                          Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• Ezag
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

The rise of DS and Carter, along with more minutes from Dower and Hart has basically taken any minutes Arop would get. The fact of the matter is that at this point, we really don't need him, as harsh as that is to say.

Comment

• DADoZAG
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Ezag View Post
                              The fact of the matter is that at this point, we really don't need him...
                              ...to beat SMC.

I'm hoping the ZAGS play a few games after disposing of the Gaels and the WCC. For that, the ZAGS could really use a player with that much talent on the floor, contributing more than chearing from the bench.

Arop might be the last piece of the puzzle.

Put down the joystick and show us what ya' got, Manny. 'Time to make momma proud.

Go ZAGS! Beat SMC!
                              Go ZAGS!

Only watching the ball, misses at least 80% of the game.

Comment

Working...
                              X