PDA

View Full Version : Who would you rather have as a starting PG right now?

gozagswoohoo
02-18-2011, 12:52 PM
Jeremy Pargo (the Jeremy from his senior season) or John Stockton (at his current age).

Don't mock me. This is very, very relevant.

cjm720
02-18-2011, 01:04 PM
Stock, but I don't think they manufacture shorts that short anymore.

U Zig, I Zag
02-18-2011, 01:09 PM
But, but, it's glorious!

http://insidecorner.dmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/stockton.jpg

*wow, him and David do look a lot alike

Pargo the Destroyer
02-18-2011, 01:20 PM
you know where im going with this. but only by a slim margin

U Zig, I Zag
02-18-2011, 01:21 PM
you know where im going with this. but only by a slim margin

Like how slim? So slim you can't get a $1 bill in there (as in Stockton's shorts).

Pleasant Peninsula
02-18-2011, 01:25 PM
Pargo. I think his career is underrated by this board. Was he the quintessential point guard? No. But he was a warrior. I give him little to none of the blame for the underachievement of that 08/09 team (Heytvelt on the other hand...).

MickMick
02-18-2011, 01:35 PM
Pargo barely makes the top 5 of best GU point guards. There are the top GU point guards, then Pargo tops the best of the rest.

I would take Stepp, Dickau, Stockton, Santangelo, and Ravio over Pargo and I think there is a clear separation between them and Jeremy. This isn't about being a human highlight reel of athleticism for 2-3 plays a game. This is about being a quarterback of the offense and/or being a prolific scorer.

Hate to sound rough on the OP, but I think the mere thought of raising the question is ridiculous.

Edit: If you wanted to throw Matt Bouldin in there as a point guard, I would throw him into that top group as well.

Mantua
02-18-2011, 01:35 PM
JS. Knowledge and court awareness trump JP's physicality. Basketball is so much about timing and seeing opportunity.

TheZagPhish
02-18-2011, 01:42 PM
You could have just had a Pop Tart and an IPA, but no, you started this thread.

I'd take Jeremy with the vintage shorts.

sittingon50
02-18-2011, 02:02 PM
Steve Nash (but only because I believe he's just a little bit more in game shape than JS).

stevet75
02-18-2011, 02:17 PM
I haven't seen John play or practice since he left the NBA, although I'm sure he does, all of the time. However, without knowing what kind of shape he is in currently, it is hard for me to imagine him keeping up with a bunch of 20 year olds. Based on my limited information I would have to pick Jeremy.

Bogozags
02-18-2011, 02:27 PM
It was interesting to see both DS and Meech playing at the same time...oh, wrong thread...

Ok, I go with

JS, not JP, awe just can't chose one over the other...

Woohoo not a fair question...

Hoopaholic
02-18-2011, 02:32 PM
can the platoon playing time?

TexasZagFan
02-18-2011, 02:38 PM
Like how slim? So slim you can't get a $1 bill in there (as in Stockton's shorts).

I had to say it, but the shadows on his shorts give the illusion of a Ron Burgundy-esque erection. :lmao:

TexasZagFan
02-18-2011, 02:39 PM
Pargo barely makes the top 5 of best GU point guards. There are the top GU point guards, then Pargo tops the best of the rest.

I would take Stepp, Dickau, Stockton, Santangelo, and Ravio over Pargo and I think there is a clear separation between them and Jeremy. This isn't about being a human highlight reel of athleticism for 2-3 plays a game. This is about being a quarterback of the offense and/or being a prolific scorer.

Hate to sound rough on the OP, but I think the mere thought of raising the question is ridiculous.

Edit: If you wanted to throw Matt Bouldin in there as a point guard, I would throw him into that top group as well.

My vote goes to Matty B as well.

TexasZagFan
02-18-2011, 02:41 PM
Pargo. I think his career is underrated by this board. Was he the quintessential point guard? No. But he was a warrior. I give him little to none of the blame for the underachievement of that 08/09 team (Heytvelt on the other hand...).

I was fortunate to see the game between OU & the Zags a few years back. Pargo absolutely took over the game for much of the second half, while Blake Griffin was doing the same the entire game for OU.

The only problem was that the rest of the Zags started standing around, watching JP on offense, and he basically ran out of gas.

MDABE80
02-18-2011, 02:44 PM
John's 48 ...soon 49! (yikes)...that went fast!!... and Jeremy's 24.
If the job of a PG is to pass, run the team so they can score, score a few points and prtect the ball from turnovers or a press, I'd take John in a heartbeat. Even today I 'd take him.

Pleasant Peninsula
02-18-2011, 02:48 PM

I would take Stepp, Dickau, Stockton, Santangelo, and Ravio over Pargo.

I don't disagree with this, though I think its close between Raivio and Pargo. And its hardly a criticism to say he wasn't quite as good as those players you mention.

The only problem was that the rest of the Zags started standing around, watching JP on offense, and he basically ran out of gas.

I remember that game and share your sentiments about it. However, I fail to see where the blame lies on Jeremy, as opposed to the teammates for not stepping up, or the coaching staff for allowing that to happen.

zagfan1970
02-18-2011, 03:01 PM
Grant Gibbs

kclubfounder
02-18-2011, 03:33 PM
I'll take the all-time NBA career leader in assists and steals (and 2nd place in both categories is not even close).

HillBillyZag
02-18-2011, 04:21 PM
I'll just let Mark Few keep on coaching the team , thats what he gets paid to do .

U Zig, I Zag
02-18-2011, 09:02 PM
Grant Gibbs

;)

mgadfly
02-18-2011, 11:09 PM
I don't think a 46 year old's body can hold up to the rigors of the 8 game county rec league schedule, so I'd have to go with the more youthful college senior Pargo. Although, I think either would make us a legitimate threat for the DDD-N Division title.

Hoopaholic
02-19-2011, 06:27 AM
Does Karl Malone come with this package?

Rio Runner
02-19-2011, 12:28 PM
I'd rather have Teen Wolf.

http://image.com.com/tv/images/genie_images/story/2009/t/teenwolf_dunk.jpg

WILLYMCG
02-19-2011, 02:43 PM
:)