Are we going to see Arop again this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagsObserver
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2010

Are we going to see Arop again this year?

It just seems so odd that Few has eliminated arguably one of their best talents from the lineup ranks. He is probably their best rebounder on the o-boards, has length which could frustrate other teams, and is a decent threat on offense. Granted he hasn't put it all together, but if he were to put it together wouldn't it give the Zags a significant boost in WECC championships and the tourny (assuming they make it)? It just seems like the reward is higher than the risks, and he's the one wildcard who could help the Zags at a position that is relatively weak.
  • bballbeachbum
    Zag for Life
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    It just seems so odd that Few has eliminated arguably one of their best talents from the lineup ranks. He is probably their best rebounder on the o-boards, has length which could frustrate other teams, and is a decent threat on offense. Granted he hasn't put it all together, but if he were wouldn't it give the Zags a significant boost in WECC championships and the tourny (assuming they make it). It just seems like the reward is higher than the risks, and he's the one wildcard who could help the Zags at a position that is relatively weak.
    you are the Observer..what's your take? seriously

you say it seems odd. what would it take for Manny to get on the floor? why is Hart ahead of him?

explain

Comment

• bballbeachbum
      Zag for Life
      • Dec 2008

I'm not going to do it for you. others have in various good posts on this board, however

GO ZAGS!!!

Comment

• ZagsObserver
        Zag for Life
        • Jan 2010

I have no idea why Hart is in front of him. From what I've seen in limited minutes, Arop offers a lot more, and he certainly has the higher ceiling (which is what will get GU farther when it counts this year).

But I in no means wish to discredit Hart for his great effort.

Comment

• RenoZag
          Super Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Will his picture end up on the side of a milk carton ?
          The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• bballbeachbum
            Zag for Life
            • Dec 2008

I have no idea why Hart is in front of him. From what I've seen in limited minutes, Arop offers a lot more, and he certainly has the higher ceiling (which is what will get GU farther when it counts this year).
            exactly.

look man. I read Manny was sick. maybe he's not anymore, but read on this board he was...don't know more than that. maybe other things too?

OK?

Hart hasn't sucked when given the chance
            Last edited by bballbeachbum; 02-17-2011, 09:18 PM. Reason: Hart!

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2008

Does he have a higher ceiling, or is his head is in the clouds?

The prime directive on defense was stopping Foster, and poor rotation on defense would have been the Zags' undoing tonight. I will give Arop the benefit of the doubt and assume that he was sick, but he has shown the tendency for mental lapses on the defensive end. I really do like Arop and hope he kicks it in gear, but I'll take the W and congratulate Hart for some quality minutes.

Comment

• bballbeachbum
                Zag for Life
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post
                Will his picture end up on the side of a milk carton ?
                he's gonna have to bust his uh huh, and prove it every moment to himself and his teammates, yes? not too late yet...or maybe that picture you talk about. I've always liked Manny, still do.

Comment

• Nevtelen
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

It just seems so odd that Few has eliminated arguably one of their best talents from the lineup ranks. He is probably their best rebounder on the o-boards, has length which could frustrate other teams, and is a decent threat on offense. Granted he hasn't put it all together, but if he were to put it together wouldn't it give the Zags a significant boost in WECC championships and the tourny (assuming they make it)? It just seems like the reward is higher than the risks, and he's the one wildcard who could help the Zags at a position that is relatively weak.
                  My guess is that Manny has shown absolutely 0 offense in 2011. He had some bright spots in the OOC, and seems to have improved somewhat on D, but the only thing he's ever shown much of on offense is put-backs and spot-up 3s. He hasn't taken a spot-up 3 in a while IIRC and his put-backs have been missing. I think Few feels like with almost whoever is out there as a PG, he can't afford to have another player who contributes so little to the offense. The team hasn't had that many problems with rebounding mostly, but they've had a number of scoring droughts. Just IMO.

Comment

• EuroZag2010
                    Zag for Life
                    • Sep 2010

I hope he plays I like arop he just needs some confidence. I hope he gets pt cuz I dot wanna see him leave.
                    "I'm really excited. I'm excited to wear GONZAGA on my chest.
                    -Kevin Pangos-

"You play to win the game, HELLO!?!- I dont care if you have any wins! You play to win the game "-Herm Edwards
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=IMk5sMHj58I

Comment

• rdulay8
                      Bulldog Fan
                      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Nevtelen View Post
                      I think Few feels like with almost whoever is out there as a PG, he can't afford to have another player who contributes so little to the offense.
                      I agree, but that doesn't explain why Hart is the first guy off the bench...

Comment

• MDABE80
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Hart's no slouch. Short of offense but very good on defense. Manny's had a terrible year on offense. As I watch Foster torch the Zags, I though Few should get Manny in the game shur him down.
                        If he had the flu bug, it's take more than a few weeks to return to high level of conditioning.

Sad for the kid. Nice well mannered. Hope he's doing well in school.

Comment

• Birddog
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

I have no idea about last night, but in general, you don't see minutes or you get the hook for defensive lapses. Few won't tolerate much in the way of miscues on defense. Few is all about structure both offensively and defensively, and Manny is more of a "free lance" type. It just ain't gonna fly with Few, and Few has stated before (though not lately that I recall) that Manny isn't the best "practice player". Ya gotta bring it in practice before you see the hardwood in a game. That's my highly speculative view.
                          Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
                          Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
                          All mimsy were the borogoves,
                          And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• gamagin
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

+1

Originally posted by Birddog View Post
                            I have no idea about last night, but in general, you don't see minutes or you get the hook for defensive lapses. Few won't tolerate much in the way of miscues on defense. Few is all about structure both offensively and defensively, and Manny is more of a "free lance" type. It just ain't gonna fly with Few, and Few has stated before (though not lately that I recall) that Manny isn't the best "practice player". Ya gotta bring it in practice before you see the hardwood in a game. That's my highly speculative view.
                            it's not speculation. Clearly, he is getting beat out in practice or he'd be seeing p.t. Or else he's sick.

Re Hart: he is in there exactly because he does what MA apparently doesn't: defend. He's a ball busting tencious kamakaze defender. And he gives 110 per cent.

Guys like MM, Keita, even SD at times, do not get back or react on defense quickly enough, negating (if they miss their shot) or neutralizing (if they score) their fine offensive efforts because they give up points with weak defense.

So out they come, and in goes Hart. We have lots of scorers (and getting more every day with Stock and Carter, for e.g.,) so in such cases, what we really need are stoppers.

That is why Meech and Stock were in there at the same time: to harass the shooter and wear him down. and, eventually (because the guy is a real shooter and doesn't even need set up time) it worked.
                            Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
                            Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
                            Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• GUZagDenver
                              Kennel Club Material
                              • Oct 2008

I wouldn't be surprised to see Manny at another school next year... Just an opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X