PDA

View Full Version : Are we going to see Arop again this year?

ZagsObserver
02-17-2011, 10:07 PM
It just seems so odd that Few has eliminated arguably one of their best talents from the lineup ranks. He is probably their best rebounder on the o-boards, has length which could frustrate other teams, and is a decent threat on offense. Granted he hasn't put it all together, but if he were to put it together wouldn't it give the Zags a significant boost in WECC championships and the tourny (assuming they make it)? It just seems like the reward is higher than the risks, and he's the one wildcard who could help the Zags at a position that is relatively weak.

bballbeachbum
02-17-2011, 10:10 PM
It just seems so odd that Few has eliminated arguably one of their best talents from the lineup ranks. He is probably their best rebounder on the o-boards, has length which could frustrate other teams, and is a decent threat on offense. Granted he hasn't put it all together, but if he were wouldn't it give the Zags a significant boost in WECC championships and the tourny (assuming they make it). It just seems like the reward is higher than the risks, and he's the one wildcard who could help the Zags at a position that is relatively weak.

you are the Observer..what's your take? seriously

you say it seems odd. what would it take for Manny to get on the floor? why is Hart ahead of him?

explain

bballbeachbum
02-17-2011, 10:11 PM
I'm not going to do it for you. others have in various good posts on this board, however

GO ZAGS!!!

ZagsObserver
02-17-2011, 10:12 PM
I have no idea why Hart is in front of him. From what I've seen in limited minutes, Arop offers a lot more, and he certainly has the higher ceiling (which is what will get GU farther when it counts this year).

But I in no means wish to discredit Hart for his great effort.

RenoZag
02-17-2011, 10:14 PM
Will his picture end up on the side of a milk carton ?

bballbeachbum
02-17-2011, 10:16 PM
I have no idea why Hart is in front of him. From what I've seen in limited minutes, Arop offers a lot more, and he certainly has the higher ceiling (which is what will get GU farther when it counts this year).

exactly.

look man. I read Manny was sick. maybe he's not anymore, but read on this board he was...don't know more than that. maybe other things too?

OK?

Hart hasn't sucked when given the chance

JPtheBeasta
02-17-2011, 10:25 PM

Does he have a higher ceiling, or is his head is in the clouds?

The prime directive on defense was stopping Foster, and poor rotation on defense would have been the Zags' undoing tonight. I will give Arop the benefit of the doubt and assume that he was sick, but he has shown the tendency for mental lapses on the defensive end. I really do like Arop and hope he kicks it in gear, but I'll take the W and congratulate Hart for some quality minutes.

bballbeachbum
02-17-2011, 10:30 PM
Will his picture end up on the side of a milk carton ?

he's gonna have to bust his uh huh, and prove it every moment to himself and his teammates, yes? not too late yet...or maybe that picture you talk about. I've always liked Manny, still do.

Nevtelen
02-18-2011, 12:59 AM
It just seems so odd that Few has eliminated arguably one of their best talents from the lineup ranks. He is probably their best rebounder on the o-boards, has length which could frustrate other teams, and is a decent threat on offense. Granted he hasn't put it all together, but if he were to put it together wouldn't it give the Zags a significant boost in WECC championships and the tourny (assuming they make it)? It just seems like the reward is higher than the risks, and he's the one wildcard who could help the Zags at a position that is relatively weak.

My guess is that Manny has shown absolutely 0 offense in 2011. He had some bright spots in the OOC, and seems to have improved somewhat on D, but the only thing he's ever shown much of on offense is put-backs and spot-up 3s. He hasn't taken a spot-up 3 in a while IIRC and his put-backs have been missing. I think Few feels like with almost whoever is out there as a PG, he can't afford to have another player who contributes so little to the offense. The team hasn't had that many problems with rebounding mostly, but they've had a number of scoring droughts. Just IMO.

EuroZag2010
02-18-2011, 01:01 AM
I hope he plays I like arop he just needs some confidence. I hope he gets pt cuz I dot wanna see him leave.

rdulay8
02-18-2011, 01:06 AM
I think Few feels like with almost whoever is out there as a PG, he can't afford to have another player who contributes so little to the offense.

I agree, but that doesn't explain why Hart is the first guy off the bench...

MDABE80
02-18-2011, 01:15 AM
Hart's no slouch. Short of offense but very good on defense. Manny's had a terrible year on offense. As I watch Foster torch the Zags, I though Few should get Manny in the game shur him down.
If he had the flu bug, it's take more than a few weeks to return to high level of conditioning.

Sad for the kid. Nice well mannered. Hope he's doing well in school.

Birddog
02-18-2011, 03:58 AM
I have no idea about last night, but in general, you don't see minutes or you get the hook for defensive lapses. Few won't tolerate much in the way of miscues on defense. Few is all about structure both offensively and defensively, and Manny is more of a "free lance" type. It just ain't gonna fly with Few, and Few has stated before (though not lately that I recall) that Manny isn't the best "practice player". Ya gotta bring it in practice before you see the hardwood in a game. That's my highly speculative view.

gamagin
02-18-2011, 07:05 AM
I have no idea about last night, but in general, you don't see minutes or you get the hook for defensive lapses. Few won't tolerate much in the way of miscues on defense. Few is all about structure both offensively and defensively, and Manny is more of a "free lance" type. It just ain't gonna fly with Few, and Few has stated before (though not lately that I recall) that Manny isn't the best "practice player". Ya gotta bring it in practice before you see the hardwood in a game. That's my highly speculative view.

it's not speculation. Clearly, he is getting beat out in practice or he'd be seeing p.t. Or else he's sick.

Re Hart: he is in there exactly because he does what MA apparently doesn't: defend. He's a ball busting tencious kamakaze defender. And he gives 110 per cent.

Guys like MM, Keita, even SD at times, do not get back or react on defense quickly enough, negating (if they miss their shot) or neutralizing (if they score) their fine offensive efforts because they give up points with weak defense.

So out they come, and in goes Hart. We have lots of scorers (and getting more every day with Stock and Carter, for e.g.,) so in such cases, what we really need are stoppers.

That is why Meech and Stock were in there at the same time: to harass the shooter and wear him down. and, eventually (because the guy is a real shooter and doesn't even need set up time) it worked.

GUZagDenver
02-18-2011, 07:12 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Manny at another school next year... Just an opinion.

EuroZag2010
02-18-2011, 07:52 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Manny at another school next year... Just an opinion.

I hate to say it but I've got the same feeling j hope things turn around for him

U Zig, I Zag
02-18-2011, 08:04 AM
I have no insider knowledge, just to clarify.

I think Manny is gone after this year. We seem to lose somebody every year. It's too bad, too. I like him.

ZagAddict
02-18-2011, 08:19 AM
Very sad if true... Manny Arop has the talent and gifts to be a game changer. He can shoot with range, can take a defender off the dribble and penetrate to the basket, and rebound. There are a lot of areas that need improvement, but he is a sophomore. I hate seeing kids leave after two years, especially one's with the talent that Manny Arop has... if true I have concerns with the coaching staff not being able to cultivate talent like Manny's and implementing it into our system. What ever happened to a kid working on developing his game for two years before being thrown into the fire. This is a danger trend this program is nuturing... we don't need a mass exodus of talent each year.

I'm just glad Sam Dower had a redshirt year, or else we'd be talking about him being a disappointing sophomore too.

adoptedzag
02-18-2011, 08:19 AM
Re Hart: he is in there exactly because he does what MA apparently doesn't: defend. He's a ball busting tencious kamakaze defender. And he gives 110 per cent.

Preeeeeeeecisely.

Colbyspapa
02-18-2011, 08:20 AM
"free lance"

As a coach, I look at this word as a synonym to lazy and undisciplined. This is just my opinion and I am comfortable if you disagree. My take is "freelance" leaves all the other players on the floor playing within the system and strategy with a gapping hole in their offensive flow and defensive scheme. The players at the D1 level are too good to have these weeknesses on our team. They will be exploited.

I think coach has finally had enough with week practice efforts. I thought the flow of the offense was better tonight all around. Meech, quietly played a really good game. He's not going to fill out the stat sheets, but we had great passing tonight.

I think Manny may not be in a zag uni next year. It's sad because I like what I have seen of him as a person and when he plays hard, he is a high level talent. However if the fit isn't good, it isn't good. With Bell, Draginis and Pangos coming in next year, one or two of our current players at the 2,3 positions are going to see a lot less time. I don't see Mark Few having another year with such a mismatch rotation. I don't think these guys coming in are coming her to sit on the bench.

Colbyspapa
02-18-2011, 08:23 AM
it's not speculation. Clearly, he is getting beat out in practice or he'd be seeing p.t. Or else he's sick.

Guys like MM, Keita, even SD at times, do not get back or react on defense quickly enough, negating (if they miss their shot) or neutralizing (if they score) their fine offensive efforts because they give up points with weak defense.

So out they come, and in goes Hart. We have lots of scorers (and getting more every day with Stock and Carter, for e.g.,) so in such cases, what we really need are stoppers.

That is why Meech and Stock were in there at the same time: to harass the shooter and wear him down. and, eventually (because the guy is a real shooter and doesn't even need set up time) it worked.

Good post. At some point, everyone has to decide where they belong on this team and do what the coaches want. Hart has proven over and over that he gives everything he has on every rep in practice and every minute he is on the floor. He treats his playing time like a "gift he has earned" even if it is in the last few minutes of the game.

U Zig, I Zag
02-18-2011, 08:24 AM
I like Hart, the hustle, the heart, etc. I would rather have Manny cutting to the basket and pulling down boards though.

EngineerZag
02-18-2011, 08:28 AM
I disagree about Hart. Yes he plays hard but he is out of position a lot on defense, just as much as any other GU player this season. I like the guy but I don't see what he really brings to the table for the team. People keep talking about him being in there for defense but I just don't see it.

U Zig, I Zag
02-18-2011, 08:37 AM
I disagree about Hart. Yes he plays hard but he is out of position a lot on defense, just as much as any other GU player this season. I like the guy but I don't see what he really brings to the table for the team. People keep talking about him being in there for defense but I just don't see it.

GU fans have a real 'Rudy' mentality about them. I get it, I go there sometimes too. But to step up in the big leagues we are going to have to root for lazy players, the prima donnas. Going to have to learn to love the guys that make mistakes. Play the best players to win, even if they are bad in the locker room, etc. You don't need to toss away the integrity of a program to do this, a bad apple is a bad apple. But with the season on the line I am not sure, at all, why Hart plays over Manny.

People on this board still long for the days of 'blue collar' players with bruised elbows and knees and tons of hustle, etc. They still ##### about Austin being whiny, etc. Loved Pendo. Everyone did. Would take Austin over Pendo every day of the week. Even if he tormented puppies in his spare time for fun.

Colbyspapa
02-18-2011, 08:43 AM
Would take Austin over Pendo every day of the week. Even if he tormented puppies in his spare time for fun.

Not me. And I would still be proud to be a Bulldog, even if it cost us wins. Especially if he tormented puppies... HATE MICHAEL VICK.

U Zig, I Zag
02-18-2011, 08:47 AM
Not me. And I would still be proud to be a Bulldog, even if it cost us wins. Especially if he tormented puppies... HATE MICHAEL VICK.

I can appreciate that. The puppies thing was a joke, of course.

The thing is, in the case of Hart - like the kid, but we only talk about the 'hustle' and I guess, the defense. But nobody says he has a knockdown shot. Great rebounder, shot-blocker, etc. He sort of just runs around out there. He got that steal, but only after making a terrible shot and losing it in the first place. My point is we need to play the best ballers and athletes.

My confusion has more to do with why Manny ISN'T playing than why Hart IS. You know?

Colbyspapa
02-18-2011, 08:52 AM
Understood Zig. I also knew the puppies thing was a joke. Based on the Mark Few Show, I'm sure Rob Sacre would take care of any dog abusers...

gamagin
02-18-2011, 09:03 AM
I can appreciate that. The puppies thing was a joke, of course.

The thing is, in the case of Hart - like the kid, but we only talk about the 'hustle' and I guess, the defense. But nobody says he has a knockdown shot. Great rebounder, shot-blocker, etc. He sort of just runs around out there. He got that steal, but only after making a terrible shot and losing it in the first place. My point is we need to play the best ballers and athletes.

My confusion has more to do with why Manny ISN'T playing than why Hart IS. You know?

how many times do you need to read, hear, see what Few is saying before it sinks in ? Your not confused, imo, your just don't like the answer. It's on MA to earn p.t. It's always been that way. It always will be that way. Everyone knows that, except Manny, and, after the 30th what's wrong with manny, thread, you.

Beer_Engineer
02-18-2011, 09:07 AM
I like Hart, the hustle, the heart, etc. I would rather have Manny cutting to the basket and pulling down boards though.

Agree 6 million percent. Hart is a great guy to have for garbage time, but we are losing so much by not having Arop and Keita get any time. If not for productivity, for confidence. Those saying that Arop has no offensive game have not watched him play this year. He is one of the few playmakers we have that can make something out of nothing off the dribble, and in this offense, thats invaluable...just see M Carter for the proof. The difference is Carter has 2 years of experience already.

Again, I like Hart, but I think losing Arop and his confidence will hurt this team more than getting Hart going will help.

U Zig, I Zag
02-18-2011, 09:08 AM
how many times do you need to read, hear, see what Few is saying before it sinks in ? Your not confused, imo, your just don't like the answer. It's on MA to earn p.t. It's always been that way. It always will be that way. Everyone knows that, except Manny, and, after the 30th what's wrong with manny, thread, you.

Holy cow. Chill out.

It has nothing to do with Few. My question is with MANNY. If it's practice and he is not getting it then WHY? Is it motivation? Does he need to be coddled more? Some people need to be dealt with differently.

I like Manny and wish he was playing more, that is all.

The 'thick' comment... well. Um yah. Cute.

hooter73
02-18-2011, 09:23 AM
Agree 6 million percent. Hart is a great guy to have for garbage time, but we are losing so much by not having Arop and Keita get any time. If not for productivity, for confidence. Those saying that Arop has no offensive game have not watched him play this year. He is one of the few playmakers we have that can make something out of nothing off the dribble, and in this offense, thats invaluable...just see M Carter for the proof. The difference is Carter has 2 years of experience already.

Again, I like Hart, but I think losing Arop and his confidence will hurt this team more than getting Hart going will help.

Absolutely right, Manny is one of the few rounded players on the team that can do a little of everything fairly well. Hes also the last bit of natural athleticism that we have. Really want to see him and Keita play if not this year than next.

gamagin
02-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Holy cow. Chill out.

It has nothing to do with Few. My question is with MANNY. If it's practice and he is not getting it then WHY? Is it motivation? Does he need to be coddled more? Some people need to be dealt with differently.

I like Manny and wish he was playing more, that is all.

The 'thick' comment... well. Um yah. Cute.

making my point. again.

ID ZAGFAN
02-18-2011, 09:37 AM

Colby, is that you talking? Did you take over Papa's lap top? Good dog!!! ;)

ZaGranny

U Zig, I Zag
02-18-2011, 09:44 AM
making my point. again.

What?

:confused:

I have come to the conclusion that Manny isn't doing something correctly in the part of basketball that takes place outside of the actual games and therefore isn't allowed to play in the actual games.

Better?

gamagin
02-18-2011, 10:09 AM
What?

:confused:

I have come to the conclusion that Manny isn't doing something correctly in the part of basketball that takes place outside of the actual games and therefore isn't allowed to play in the actual games.

Better?

practice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practice

BMAN
02-18-2011, 10:45 AM
On his radio show Monday Few said that Hart is the teams best defender at any position and one the best rebounders. He said he has limitations on offense but they were not getting much offense from the 3 spot anyway.. So he decided to start using him more.

Saxon_zag
02-18-2011, 11:26 AM
AGree with having 5 A. Daye type players over 5 pendos. It's great to watch guys hustle but when it comes down to it in d1 basketball you need skill and size to win and we need to put the most talented line up we can out there. Hart playing Over Manny, if Manny is not sick is a complete joke. I sincerely hope it is because of a sickness because Manny is a player with a really high ceiling and could be great here at GU, but not if Few is giving his minutes to a walk-on who yes can play solid defense at times (not as great as some make it out to be) but makes it 4 v 5 on offense. Insulting for Hart to be playing over Keita and Arop imo. Really would be bummed if either left and I hope they stay

Colbyspapa
02-18-2011, 11:34 AM
Colby, is that you talking? Did you take over Papa's lap top? Good dog!!! ;)

ZaGranny

He's always sitting under my feet. Comes to work with me every day. He was used as bait in a dog fighting ring before I rescued him. Hence, my sensitivity to tormenting puppies.

primal23
02-18-2011, 11:36 AM
Really wish we had more info on WTF was going on... Ahh the curse of the fan... :argh: I hope Manny stays, but I seriously doubt he will.

Colbyspapa
02-18-2011, 11:36 AM
I really hope Arop doesn't transfer. I'm still junking he could be a star as he improves his ball handling and understanding of the offense. I don't think it's safe to assume anybody will leave, especially when they are as talented as Arop.

I hope you are right. He has to find the fire to improve, it doesn't happen magically and practice habits are tough to teach at 20 years of age. Some feed off of the energy at practice, for others it's a chore. Comments by this board have lead me to believe Manny is not a fan of practice.

Zag 77
02-18-2011, 11:41 AM
Whats the rush? Manny is a soph and Keita is a freshman. Relatively few players play significant minutes as underclassmen in the big scheme of college basketball. It is not so radical a concept to say that the coaches think they need to sit more and wait their turn. Some guys are not patient and they leave. Patience is not seen as much of a virtue as it used to be.

I would also offer that even though Manny is 20, he played his HS ball in Canada. Not to insult Canada, but the level of play seems to be highly variable depending on which province they play in.

ZagHouse
02-18-2011, 12:05 PM
Cal St. Bakersfield

Baseline
02-18-2011, 12:22 PM
I think it has to be the 3 spot and no one taking charge and locking down the position. With Carters emergence at the 2, Gray has become the missing 3 this year. I think Few is looking at next year and projecting and its not looking good for Manny. Stockton and Pangos will be the PG next year. Carter and Bell will control the 2 spot. Dower, Harris and Spangler will be the 4. Sacrae, Kelly and Spangler will be the 5's. That key question is who takes the 3. Keita, Hoff, Manny Drangenous (sp). I think few is looking at this and thinking that Manny is the most likely to not fill that position, so he is cutting back his time. Carters emergence has taken the minutes for this year.
I like Manny and hope I'm 100% wrong.

DixieZag
02-18-2011, 12:30 PM
One thing about Manny that I really really miss is that he is one of the very very few players whom I trust to actually catch the ball while cutting to the basket and then having the hands to lay it up softly for the basket.

As for his rebounding, I have said before that he not only rebounds better than almost anyone, he also makes better rebounders out of the rest of the team, he keeps the ball alive by knowing where it is going, he blocks out more than one guy, a ton of intangibles.

I like Hart (who doesn't?) - but his upside is just not there compared to Manny. I have noticed that Manny seems to be having fun with the guys in warm ups and a big supporter on the bench, he is not sulking, so I have a hard time believing he is a bad apple - maybe just not understanding what Few really wants. Don't know. But I am sure that I don't want him going anywhere. We will not have Sacre/Harris forever and we are going to need to pound the boards with someone while Pangos, GBJ are firing up 3s.

UberZagFan
02-18-2011, 12:35 PM
I think Few is looking at next year and projecting

Uber suspects Few is making his decisions based on what he believes is best for winning THIS year. GU, after all, still has a good chance of winning the conference and winning the conference tourney.

stretchlimo
02-18-2011, 12:40 PM
I think it has to be the 3 spot and no one taking charge and locking down the position. With Carters emergence at the 2, Gray has become the missing 3 this year.

Totally agree.

Manny isn't necessarily losing his minutes to Hart (or to any illness, for that matter), but mostly due to the great play of Carter. Marquis has earned the right to play as much as he can handle. We also need either Meech or Stock on the court at any given time. And Steven is Steven - he's our best all-around player and only has a few games left in his career, so obviously he's going to command a lot of PT as well.

To me, the staff's use of Hart frequently subbing in for Gray is a great move. I think we not only need Gray on the court as much as possible, we need a relatively fresh Gray on the court as much as possible. What better way to do this than to have Hart give Steven extra breaks throughout the course of a game? Not only is Hart an energetic defender/rebounder, he's also a guy that you know won't mind being quickly subbed out for when Steven is rested enough to come back in. I don't think you use a guy like Manny in a quick sub-in/sub-out pattern. I believe Manny is better suited for longer stretches of run. But again, with Carter playing so well, and with Steven in the home stretch of his GU career, it's going to be tough for Manny to get minutes.

U Zig, I Zag
02-18-2011, 12:42 PM
One thing about Manny that I really really miss is that he is one of the very very few players whom I trust to actually catch the ball while cutting to the basket and then having the hands to lay it up softly for the basket.

Sometimes he looks a little goofy dribbling or seems out of place on the court (going, what appears to be, the wrong way, etc) then he will glide through the lane like he is on skates and make a subtle and gentle play with the ball at the rim. That and the occasional up and under. Hope too see more Manny soon.

ZagsObserver
02-18-2011, 12:52 PM
Well some people are mentioning practice as a potential reason why Arop isn't seeing more time. My thoughts are that a player gets in better game shape through practice, but that Arop has been better than his apparent replacement (Hart) during game time, and certainly has the higher ceiling. So regardless of what's happening in practice, Arop (IMO, of course) is the better option presently, and has a much higher ceiling in that the could be a significant upgrade when it counts later as well.

CDC84
02-18-2011, 01:00 PM
Until he understands where to be on offense or defense without other players directing him, Arop is not going to play much. Doesn't matter what his so-called upside is.

cjm720
02-18-2011, 01:04 PM
On his radio show Monday Few said that Hart is the teams best defender at any position and one the best rebounders. He said he has limitations on offense but they were not getting much offense from the 3 spot anyway.. So he decided to start using him more.

Been a huge fan of Hart from Day 1. IMO he's had the single best pass of the season (except for pretty much any pass made by Stock). He does a lot of little things that aren't super flashy, but he gets the job done.

As Few (and Gamagin) continue to point out, it's about practice and playing within the system, and if you can't cut it someone else will (eventually at least). Love Arop and his promise, but he's shown little improvement this year; he has good rebounding instincts and a solid outside shot, but for a 3 you need to be able to slash, pull up, make your defender work...he hasn't displayed that once on offense. He brings some nice defense when he's not out of position, but Hart does so and some...

Go Zags!!!

zagfan1970
02-18-2011, 03:37 PM
Very sad if true... Manny Arop has the talent and gifts to be a game changer. He can shoot with range, can take a defender off the dribble and penetrate to the basket, and rebound. There are a lot of areas that need improvement, but he is a sophomore. I hate seeing kids leave after two years, especially one's with the talent that Manny Arop has... if true I have concerns with the coaching staff not being able to cultivate talent like Manny's and implementing it into our system. What ever happened to a kid working on developing his game for two years before being thrown into the fire. This is a danger trend this program is nuturing... we don't need a mass exodus of talent each year.

I'm just glad Sam Dower had a redshirt year, or else we'd be talking about him being a disappointing sophomore too.

+1

gamagin
02-18-2011, 04:04 PM
Well some people are mentioning practice as a potential reason why Arop isn't seeing more time. My thoughts are that a player gets in better game shape through practice, but that Arop has been better than his apparent replacement (Hart) during game time, and certainly has the higher ceiling. So regardless of what's happening in practice, Arop (IMO, of course) is the better option presently, and has a much higher ceiling in that the could be a significant upgrade when it counts later as well.

is saying it. Man this is a tough message to deliver. And saying Manny "has been better than Hart" just isn't true. Which is why Hart got the job in scrimmage and keeps it by performing in games.

What "some" do, is keep pooh poohing what IS in favor of what they would like. I wonder why "some" just keep repeating imaginations as reason when Few keeps saying what is actually going on.

Few. Wants. Defenders. He.Considers.Hart.The.Best.On.the.entire.team. He.Said.So.Many.Times.

Why.Would.He.then.Put.In.MA.one.of.the.WORST.Defen ders.in.to.Defend ?

I love Manny at his best. Clearly, he's got to impress his coaches first, then outplay his teammates in the scrimmages unless he becomes a prime candidate in some particular matchup. Of course, Hart is now getting confidence with more p.t. than he's seen ever. So who knows ? It's the same with everyone on the team.

Who wants it bad enough to take it will get it ? Potential is important to get on the team, performance will get you p.t.

Bogozags
02-18-2011, 04:09 PM
is saying it. Man this is a tough message to deliver. And saying Manny "has been better than Hart" just isn't true. Which is why Hart got the job in scrimmage and keeps it by performing in games.

What "some" do, is keep pooh poohing what IS in favor of what they would like. I wonder why "some" just keep repeating imaginations as reason when Few keeps saying what is actually going on.

Few. Wants. Defenders. He.Considers.Hart.The.Best.On.the.entire.team. He.Said.So.Many.Times.

Why.Would.He.then.Put.In.MA.one.of.the.WORST.Defen ders.in.to.Defend ?

I love Manny at his best. Clearly, he's got to impress his coaches first, then outplay his teammates in the scrimmages unless he becomes a prime candidate in some particular matchup. Of course, Hart is now getting confidence with more p.t. than he's seen ever. So who knows ? It's the same with everyone on the team.

Who wants it bad enough to take it will get it ? Potential is important to get on the team, performance will get you p.t.

When you're right, you are right...can't say it any better than you have...

Bogozags
02-18-2011, 04:13 PM
One other thing...caught Coach's show after last weeks games and thought I heard Coach Few mentioned something in the line of a high level transfer as a possibility...did anyone else catch that? or was I just hearing things incorrectly because of my hearing aides?

zagfan1970
02-18-2011, 04:25 PM
yes, Few has said more than once that Hart is THE BEST DEFENDER.

But I am starting to doubt his criteria for this label. He has noted Meech as the same on more than one occasion, only to watch Teel, or Foster, or Kion Bell go off for 30 plus. He tabbed David Pendergraft as well. My point is that EFFORT does not always equate to results. You have to reward effort and it is surely noticeable, but Stockton gambles a lot on D, yet his spectacular plays and 110% effort are noticed. We will all remember the play of the year (block of Foster and layup) not the wide open layup given up by standing and reaching. Ira Brown was a great defender who was asked to play way out of position (at 6'5) defending Omar and other post players. So if Few wants Defenders why do some that bring D first get slighted, and others not. Why does he say that Meech is the best on ball defender, yet he loses time to Stockton, because the OFFENSE "flows better with him at times?"

I am confused :)

Baseline
02-18-2011, 04:26 PM
I thought all scholarships were filled for next season. I hope he isn't getting the squeeze to make room.