PDA

View Full Version : GUnit of the Game --SCU -- 2.17.2011

RenoZag
02-17-2011, 08:16 PM
Bench points, guard play, some timely rebounds. . .it adds up to a Zags win versus a game Santa Clara squad led by Kevin Foster.

Who is your Zag Player of the Game ?

Box Score (http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2010-2011/gonmb27.html#GAME.BOX)

zagzilla
02-17-2011, 08:18 PM
Carter!

23dpg
Carter....easy.

NEC26
For me it was Stockton. He personally changed the game with that run in the second half.
That fourth foul he drew on Foster was huge as well. Steals blocks great passes he did it all.
Carter played well again tonight as well.

GU69
02-17-2011, 08:19 PM
Carter had a great game, but Stockton changed things at the critical point.

ZagNative
02-17-2011, 08:21 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_UkLNCxT74w4/TV3zRhtLgUI/AAAAAAABQrc/Dd8ACu4oSYY/2011-02-17%20Marquise%20Carter%20GUnit.jpg

northsidezagfan
Gotta be Carter. Got us off to a great start and had several clutch buckets and fts down the stretch. Great game Marquise.

Lurknomore
Carter and Stockton- G Units

kitzbuel
02-17-2011, 08:22 PM
Gotta go with Carter. The ball needed to be in his hands at the end of the game.

Birddog
02-17-2011, 08:24 PM
CARTER

But you gotta give it up for the
"egg man" too. He gave GU the separation they needed at the end.

LMUZAG
02-17-2011, 08:29 PM
Carter. Who would've thunk it a month ago Carter would have this big of an impact over the past stretch of games. Keep it up.

gopackgozags
02-17-2011, 08:29 PM
Carter, no question. We need to ride him as he continues to develop. That floater in the lane is sweet and if he can continue to knock down 3's he will be a huge offensive threat for us. Not to mention he knocked down those 2 free throws at the end as well after several misses by Zag players.

gamagin
02-17-2011, 08:30 PM
as a game changer was Stock.

bballbeachbum
02-17-2011, 08:37 PM
Marquise Carter...could just be coming into full bloom

David Stockton is kicking my a.s.s.!!!!

loved that lineup late...who'd have thunk???

Kick some frickin USF butt!!!!!!! come on!!!!!!!

MDABE80
02-17-2011, 08:39 PM
Carter and David. Amazing how Carter's coming on......what's happened to Steven though? Form is all goofed..shooting long distance off one foot?
Hope we comes back to form. We need a big guard who can shoot well....

Blitzing-Zag
02-17-2011, 08:41 PM
I goota go with Meech even though he isn't on the list. His D was great on Foster. Everytime Meech went out FOster would kill us, but once Meech got in the game and was defending Foster, he was lockdown.

Bulldog
02-17-2011, 08:43 PM
Yeah great defense on Foster, he was only high scorer. Meech?

ZagLawGrad
02-17-2011, 08:47 PM
Starting to warm up to Carter

RenoZag
02-17-2011, 08:54 PM
Gave the nod to Mr. Carter with an Honorable Mention to Mr. Stockton.

Rob worked his arse off all night and really took care of the ball in spite of all of the double teams. . .Harris put forth a great effort but he had nearly half (6) of the Zags turnover total of 13. I cringe every time he brings the ball below his waist or puts it on the floor.

NotoriousZ
02-17-2011, 09:00 PM

I went with Stockton--those two MONSTER PLAYS in crunch time were unbelievable. I'm actually liking all of our point guards right now, and having two of them on the court at the same time really works for us.

Most of Foster's points came when Meech was on the bench, Bulldog. If you watch the game again you'll see some fantastic D by Goodson.

NEC26
02-17-2011, 09:03 PM
I went with Stockton--those two MONSTER PLAYS in crunch time were unbelievable. I'm actually liking all of our point guards right now, and having two of them on the court at the same time really works for us.

Most of Foster's points came when Meech was on the bench, Bulldog. If you watch the game again you'll see some fantastic D by Goodson.

I thought Meech played well but he was scored on by Foster quite a bit in that game and quite frankly Foster seems to do that to everybody.

DoggieDogpound
02-17-2011, 09:06 PM
as a game changer was Stock.

Carter, but Stock made the play of the game with the block on Foster and back down the court layin.

El Voce
02-17-2011, 09:07 PM

Hey Bulldog, he was high scorer on 8 of 22 shooting, 36%.

Reborn
02-17-2011, 09:08 PM
Carter for sure. Just a great all around game. 5 Assists as well. Stockton is a close second and Harris a close third. I thought Elias really through in that second half. He had the fire for sure too. I just thought he played really tough tonight.

Mantua
02-17-2011, 09:10 PM
StockCar!

GU69
02-17-2011, 09:12 PM
Hey Bulldog, he was high scorer on 8 of 22 shooting, 36%.

Oddly, 8 of 16 from 3; 0 of 6 from 2.
He is a great shooter. Meech did a good job.

DixieZag
02-17-2011, 09:12 PM
Give it to Carter, but this was a total team effort. Everyone who played had some good moments, I thought the rotation was good and they are really raising their game.

This could have come down to the end like SMC did - and I did not want Foster to get an open look at a win - and so for them to fight them off and get some separation was wonderful. Kelly played well also, he was working hard out there tonight.

Very physical game.

NotoriousZ
02-17-2011, 09:13 PM
I thought Meech played well but he was scored on by Foster quite a bit in that game and quite frankly Foster seems to do that to everybody.

Maybe I'll have to rewatch the game as well. I remember Foster scoring on Meech a couple times, but I thought his defense was solid, and one time Foster made an incredible shot with Meech in his face. It seemed like he got much more open looks when Meech wasn't out there. If Meech was guarding Foster when he scored 10 points in 21 seconds, I'll take it all back.

Nevtelen
02-17-2011, 09:14 PM
Carter had a great game, but Stockton changed things at the critical point.

Exactly. Carter had a very good game, but with 6 mins or so left with GU up by 3, Stockton flat out owned the game on both ends. Wow. It was almost every possession he was making an amazing play, on O or D - an assist to Carter for the 3, the steal and pass to Carter for the finish (after getting tripped), drawing the 4th foul on Foster, the icy step-back with the shot-clock running down and a man in his face, the block (BLOCK!) on Foster from behind followed by the lay-in, sacrificing his body by pushing through screens... The list goes on. And on. Hats off to Carter - hopefully a break-out game for him (better D than Meech from what I remember seeing). But Stockton... man. That kid is a winner. He is clutch. He has every possibly mental attribute you need to be a big big time PG. He gets every iota out of his body and his game. Give him 20-30 pounds, three inches, and a year or two and he could be Dickau good. When the push comes to shove, put Stockton on the floor in the clutch and you won't be sorry. Apologies to Bankhead, but he's gotta be the best walk-on in GU history, just based on this year alone.

Bocco
02-17-2011, 09:21 PM
Carter

Baseline
02-17-2011, 09:39 PM
It was close, but I gave it to Stockton. His IQ is off the charts compared to the rest of the team. they were trying to swarm David and he handled it real well, the kid belongs in D-1.

Carter was a close second. Now that he is getting used to things the guy can shoot, but more important he great movement of the dribble.

thickman1
02-17-2011, 09:43 PM
Manny - oh wait...

Ziggy
02-17-2011, 09:58 PM
Hey, I'm really glad that JuCo transfer and that Walk-on Redshirt Freshman came through tonight.

fedwayzag
02-17-2011, 10:07 PM
Has ro be Carter. What a game. Looking more and more comfortable. His defense is outstanding also. He was would attack Foster when he had 3 fouls. Very good b-ball IQ

gopackgozags
02-17-2011, 10:10 PM
Give him 20-30 pounds, three inches, and a year or two and he could be Dickau good.

I like where you're headed with this post, but I think you missed the mark a little bit. i really think that if you give him 5 inches, 40-50 pounds, a slightly faster first step, a tad more athleticism, an elite ability to finish in traffic at the rim, and a mildly improved leaping ability he makes much more sense as the next Derrick Rose. THEN we can start talking about him being better than Bankhead.

casci85
02-17-2011, 10:14 PM
I want to add that stuff by Stockton in my Great Stuffs highlight reel alongside Will Foster's takedown last year of Sandham. Great to play in a continuous loop.

northsidezagfan
02-17-2011, 10:16 PM
I like where you're headed with this post, but I think you missed the mark a little bit. i really think that if you give him 5 inches, 40-50 pounds, a slightly faster first step, a tad more athleticism, an elite ability to finish in traffic at the rim, and a mildly improved leaping ability he makes much more sense as the next Derrick Rose. THEN we can start talking about him being better than Bankhead.

:roll: Glad I wasn't the only one that thought that statement was absurd. People forget just how good Dickau was and how much Bankhead brought to the team. It hasn't been that long has it?

roxdoc
02-17-2011, 10:30 PM
Back on subject of tonight - I think we are continuing to see a synergysm build between Stockton and Carter, irrespective of Gray's presence. Also Stockton and Dower. Something we just didn't have in the first half or more of the season.

2wiceright
02-17-2011, 10:35 PM
Carter. Tops in pts. and assists tonight... Good job Marquise!!! Seems to be getting more consistant every game. I think we've finally found our fifth starter for the rest of this season (and probably next). Keep improving!!! Zags keep winning...(Actually all of our guards had a decent night tonight for a change). Gray seemed still a little bit out of it (still sick???), but still had an OK night.

Go Zags!!!

MickMick
02-17-2011, 10:38 PM
I chose Stockton. Turned the game around in the seconf half with steals and nice passing. Was clearly the best player on the floor (except for Foster) tonight.

Stockton, Carter, Dower, and Sacre are the four best Zags right now.

Everyone else brings some type of harmful liability because of inconsistency or bad tendencies.

CDC84
02-17-2011, 10:39 PM
Carter, but Stockton's block in the 2nd half on that Foster three pointer and his subsequent layup may have been the best individual play by a Zag this entire season. That was just a great basketball play. It won't make the Sportscenter highlights, but it should.

JPtheBeasta
02-17-2011, 10:46 PM
It was close, but I gave it to Stockton. His IQ is off the charts compared to the rest of the team. they were trying to swarm David and he handled it real well, the kid belongs in D-1.

Carter was a close second. Now that he is getting used to things the guy can shoot, but more important he great movement of the dribble.

That's an aspect that has been missing and is a welcome addition. I liked seeing him and Meech (early) attacking the basket.

2wiceright
02-17-2011, 10:52 PM
Oddly, 8 of 16 from 3; 0 of 6 from 2.
He is a great shooter. Meech did a good job.

+1 Great Defense, passed well, scored, and hustled his a@@ off!

Nevtelen
02-18-2011, 12:34 AM
:roll: Glad I wasn't the only one that thought that statement was absurd. People forget just how good Dickau was and how much Bankhead brought to the team. It hasn't been that long has it?

:boxing: Not that absurd. We'll never find out because Stockton isn't going to suddenly sprout a few inches, but Dickau didn't exactly tear things up until he was in his 4th year of D-I, either. And Bankhead brought a lot to the table, sure, but for this team, this season, with the guard play we've had so far? Stockton has got to be the most important walk-on to his team ever at GU.

Juanzaga
02-18-2011, 12:48 AM
+1 Great Defense, passed well, scored, and hustled his a@@ off!

+10 Outstanding defense. Watched game again at home. Meech was in Foster's face for 27 minutes, gets no recognition. Most of Foster's points came when the sainted one was on the floor. However, Few never let him near Foster except on a switch, but we all know what will be remembered

GrizZAG
02-18-2011, 02:53 AM
The thing about Carter is he makes it look so darn easy. He is not animated and never seems to get jacked about much of anything, but is just out there doing his job and makes it happen. Interesting player for sure.
CARTER TONIGHT

Gritty win against a highly fired up opponent by all. DS is going to be POY by his junior year if he gets a little beef and grows a hair. Is he ahead of where his dad was his freshman year? Anybody remember?

I see the desire and effort by Harris too. He wants his game back...BAD! Keep going Elias...

Birddog
02-18-2011, 03:48 AM
Stockton's block in the 2nd half on that Foster three pointer and his subsequent layup may have been the best individual play by a Zag this entire season. That was just a great basketball play. It won't make the Sportscenter highlights, but it should
Agreed, I couldn't help but think of the "Artful Dodger" in Oliver Twist.

SunDevilGolfZag
02-18-2011, 06:38 AM
Carter was fantastic but we may not have won without Stockton's key plays. Stockton gets my vote

gozagswoohoo
02-18-2011, 06:46 AM
I went with Carter, but Stockton was SOOOO close behind him. Stockton really did change the game, but Carter just kept making big baskets at REALLY key points in the game.

cjm720
02-18-2011, 08:21 AM
For that block and breakaway alone, Stock!!

Carter's been super solid. Love it.

How in the heck did our backcourt look way way more effective without Steven Gray? Stock, Meech, and Carter all were playing well together.

Bogozags
02-18-2011, 04:16 PM
Gotta go with Carter another solid game and he has earned two of the last three in my opinion...he just looks like he is in control and Coach Few feels much more comfortable in his game as he played 38 minutes...I would bet that is more than he played in the first seven games...