PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't Portland need to win at SMC to keep the streak alive?

NorthWestZag
02-17-2011, 01:44 PM
Current Standings:

SMC 10-2
USF 7-3
GU 7-3
SCU 6-4
UP 5-5

SMC just has GU and Portland left in league play. If the Zags win out, and SMC loses only to the Zags, final standings would be.

SMC 11-3
GU 11-3

WCC rules state that first tie breaker is head to head record. Second tie breaker is record against next best team in league standings. Third tie breaker is RPI.

We would split with series with SMC. But we have one loss each to Santa Clara and USF. SMC swept both teams. We also lose the RPI tiebreaker right now.

My question is on the official rules of the 10 straight regular season conference championships. Officially, SMC would be the #1 seed in the WCC tournament and the conference champions. So unless Portland wins at SMC the final game, isn't the streak over?

Angelo Roncalli
02-17-2011, 01:51 PM
Current Standings:

SMC 10-2
USF 7-3
GU 7-3
SCU 6-4
UP 5-5

SMC just has GU and Portland left in league play. If the Zags win out, and SMC loses only to the Zags, final standings would be.

SMC 11-3
GU 11-3

WCC rules state that first tie breaker is head to head record. Second tie breaker is record against next best team in league standings. Third tie breaker is RPI.

We would split with series with SMC. But we have one loss each to Santa Clara and USF. SMC swept both teams. We also lose the RPI tiebreaker right now.

My question is on the official rules of the 10 straight regular season conference championships. Officially, SMC would be the #1 seed in the WCC tournament and the conference champions. So unless Portland wins at SMC the final game, isn't the streak over?

No.

The tiebreaker is for seeding in the conference tournament, only.

If two teams end the season atop the standings with the same record, they are co-champions of the conference.

zagzilla
02-17-2011, 01:55 PM
Seems like we tied one other time during the streak-Pepperdine 02-03?

adoptedzag
02-17-2011, 02:00 PM
Seems like we tied one other time during the streak-Pepperdine 02-03?

Yup.

Pleasant Peninsula
02-17-2011, 02:16 PM
How many times did UCLA share a conference title during their record breaking run?

CDC84
02-17-2011, 02:37 PM
Doesn't matter according to the NCAA record books.

That being said, I suspect that UCLA won all 13 outright.

ZagSports
02-17-2011, 02:37 PM
If Gonzaga and SMC are tied 11-3

and Portland and USF are tied at 8-6...... how does the Gonzaga SMC tie-breaker for seeding get answered if portland and usf are both tied for 3rd??

Zag4Hire
02-17-2011, 02:41 PM
How many times did UCLA share a conference title during their record breaking run?

Off-hand answer: Never

I can't find the actual standings but if 1965-66 went differently for UCLA (18-8; 10-4; 2nd place), they would have added 5 more years to that streak. Amazing. Plus the streak of NCAA championships...I doubt that will ever be even sniffed at ever again.

gamagin
02-17-2011, 02:47 PM
Off-hand answer: ...I doubt that will ever be even sniffed at ever again.

That's what my son said about the spinster next door when our dog died.

webspinnre
02-17-2011, 02:52 PM
If Gonzaga and SMC are tied 11-3

and Portland and USF are tied at 8-6...... how does the Gonzaga SMC tie-breaker for seeding get answered if portland and usf are both tied for 3rd??

As mentioned, seeding only matters for the tourney, not the conf. championship. That being said, my guess would be that they'd first break the UP-USF tie, then break our tie based on those results.

Zag4Hire
02-17-2011, 02:53 PM
That's what my son said about the spinster next door when our dog died.

My apologies. I was also going for the emphasis that it is record that will stand the test of time by using 'ever' twice. Haha too close to gametime + long work day = entertaining grammar