• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fonebone
    Kennel Club
    • Feb 2007

WCC Title vs NCAA

I've not been online much lately, so if this has been discussed my apologies.

As we have struggled this season, I have come to the conclusion that if I had to pick between our 11th League title or getting into the NCAA tourney, I would pick the league title. Normally that would not be the case, but this 11th year, as most of you know, puts us as the # 2 all time in consecutive leage championships. UCLA is at 13, and we are tied with 10 with UNLV and Conneticut. Being elevated to sole 2nd place would be a huge historic achievment for the Zags. For years and years to come it will have significance, while missing one year of the NCAA tourney is pretty quickly forgotten.

Of course, we want both - league title and NCAA.

So, I'm curious, if you had to choose one, which would it be ?
  • ridgebackzag
    Kennel Club
    • Jan 2009

Not making the tourney would be a huge blow to our future recruiting. While it helps our pride to win the WCC, seceding to this year's SMC would not be a huge slap in the face either. Winning the conference tourney feels better in the long run, ie SMC last year.

As spoiled as we've been by the media over the last decade, we're in the WCC and would be quickly forgotten if we have consecutive "down" years. Making the NCAA tourney keeps us relevant.

Comment

• bullzag23
      Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2015
      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Fonebone View Post
      I've not been online much lately, so if this has been discussed my apologies.

As we have struggled this season, I have come to the conclusion that if I had to pick between our 11th League title or getting into the NCAA tourney, I would pick the league title. Normally that would not be the case, but this 11th year, as most of you know, puts us as the # 2 all time in consecutive leage championships. UCLA is at 13, and we are tied with 10 with UNLV and Conneticut. Being elevated to sole 2nd place would be a huge historic achievment for the Zags. For years and years to come it will have significance, while missing one year of the NCAA tourney is pretty quickly forgotten.

Of course, we want both - league title and NCAA.

So, I'm curious, if you had to choose one, which would it be ?
      WCC but only because of the streak. If the streak were not still in tact it would be the NCAA in a heart beat. However the issue this year is how far can we realistically make it in the NCAAs with our play so inconsistent? If we had a solid shot at a deep run my answer would be much more complicated.
      A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.
      Steven Wright

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2012
      Foo Fantasy Football Last Place Champ 2013

Comment

• CDC84
        Super Moderator
        • Feb 2007

I honestly don't think missing the NCAA tournament for one year is going to badly damage Gonzaga's recruiting operation. It's just one year. If it becomes a multi-year thing, then it becomes difficult.

As I said in another post, the conference title winning streak is a historical achievement that is close to being on par with Cy Young's 511 wins in baseball. If the Zags were to keep the streak alive and eventually surpass UCLA's record (13), I firmly believe it will be a record - like Cy Young's 511 wins - that will never be surpassed.

But like most posters, I'm greedy and would like to keep both streaks alive.

Comment

• U Zig, I Zag
          Zag for Life
          • Mar 2009

Good thing we can do both. We no longer have to wait on SMC to falter or do something. We are in the driver's seat.

Comment

• gu03alum
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

If I had to choose I would pick NCAA tournament. The ultimate goal of any program should be to win the NCAA Championship. If you don't make they tournament your chances of winning the Championship are 0%. I imagine our chances if we do make it are somewhere pretty close to 0 this year, but I would much rather give it a shot. To go along with that, I also value Gonzaga's streak of making the tournament higher than winning the league.
            Bring back the OCC

Comment

• GoZags
              Super Moderator
              • Feb 2007

FWIW here are the current NCAA tourney streaks:

1. Kansas (21)
              2. Duke (15)
              3. Michigan State (13)
              4. Gonzaga (12)
              4. Texas (12)
              4. Wisconsin (12)
              7. Pittsburgh (9)
              sigpic
              “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
              ——-
              List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
              Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• 23dpg
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

I completely respect those who would rather keep the WCC streak going, but for me it easy....NCAA tourney.

I'd rather have us lose in the first round of the tourney than win the NIT.

Just my two cents.
                Birds aren’t real.

Comment

• VinnyZag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
                  FWIW here are the current NCAA tourney streaks:

1. Kansas (21)
                  2. Duke (15)
                  3. Michigan State (13)
                  4. Gonzaga (12)
                  4. Texas (12)
                  4. Wisconsin (12)
                  7. Pittsburgh (9)
                  Two on that list are in jeopardy. I actually think GU's presence there is almost as impressive as the regular-season WCC title streak. Almost.

Comment

• 229SintoZag
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

I would also for one like to keep the streak of 20 win season going.

Comment

• former1dog
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Put one vote in the WCC title tally.

Comment

• GoZags
                        Super Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by 229SintoZag View Post
                        I would also for one like to keep the streak of 20 win season going.
                        As you know, 229, I don't take anything for granted and cherish every victory. That being said -- I believe the upcoming Cal State Bakersfield game will help accomplish your goal.

And I know how you love those kind of games in the Kennel.
                        sigpic
                        ——-
                        List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                        Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• Hoopaholic
                          • Mar 2008

I honestly think that if we won the WCC regular title and lost in the Championship game and failed to make the NCAA there would be an asterick by it for the rest of time *fail to make NCAA tournament

Not making the tournament I dont think would have a long term negative impact as we already have next years class signed up. By the time we are looking to sign for following year we simply are telling the young man "you are the key component to putting GU back on the NCAA map"...

Missing couple years in row would have negative impact in my opinion.

But we can get both still, WE CONTROL OUR DESTINY
                          The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• GoZags
                            Super Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Since GU's current NCAA tourney streak began in '99, only 6 schools -- Duke, Kansas, Michigan State, UConn, UCLA and Kentucky have advanced to the 2nd weekend of the dance more often than Gonzaga. Sure, those others have won titles and been to the Final Four -- while the closest the Zags have come to the Final Four is 33 seconds and a possession away against eventual National Champ UConn.

I like the concept of our guys peaking late -- like they did in '99 (and I like the concept of Elias becoming Elias again).

But for now:

Beat Santa Clara.
                            sigpic
                            ——-

Comment

• zag944
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Man, people are in the bargaining phase of grief on here.

Ill be hugely disappointed if the team misses on either option. Lets just go out and beat the hell out of Santa Clara tonight.

Comment

Working...
                              X