• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DZ
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2007

Everything the Zags Want is in Front of Them

Due to the riggors and inexplicability of the WCC - I will not call it a "gift" - St. Mary's found out last night what GU has known for 10 years, it is very tough to win on the road when you have a big target on your back.

So, now, for the Zags - "there's something there that wasn't there before" to quote Beauty and the Beast, gone is the talk of this team surely being the one to lose the "streak" of WCC titles - they are now the team that is close to finishing tied for first in a tough tough year. Four games away.

I would just have to think that the mindset of the team has to have changed RADICALLY overnight. Instead of them feeling guilty about being "the first team in 10 years. . . blah blah blah" they now can think about driving it home.

I am one that agrees that the Conference win streak is more important than even getting to the tournament and I believe that the WCC is now a one bid conference and therefore it all comes down to Vegas.

Which is why I am going to be watching for a big change in the "look" in their eyes tonight, the swagger, the aggression, the composure and the drive. I want to see a team that knows it can achieve every goal they set, they know they have to win every game from now through Vegas and they have been playing better already, SMC going the other way, its possible.

But they have to win tonight. . . .
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

I don't think their mindset will change from what it's been since the St. Mary's loss, which is, "one game at a time." It also most likely includes such things as, "we just need to take care of our business and let the rest of it just happen." Taking care of their business means to just win one game at a time. That begins to happen again tonight. Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• bullzag23
      Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2015
      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
      Due to the riggors and inexplicability of the WCC - I will not call it a "gift" - St. Mary's found out last night what GU has known for 10 years, it is very tough to win on the road when you have a big target on your back.

So, now, for the Zags - "there's something there that wasn't there before" to quote Beauty and the Beast, gone is the talk of this team surely being the one to lose the "streak" of WCC titles - they are now the team that is close to finishing tied for first in a tough tough year. Four games away.

I would just have to think that the mindset of the team has to have changed RADICALLY overnight. Instead of them feeling guilty about being "the first team in 10 years. . . blah blah blah" they now can think about driving it home.

I am one that agrees that the Conference win streak is more important than even getting to the tournament and I believe that the WCC is now a one bid conference and therefore it all comes down to Vegas.

Which is why I am going to be watching for a big change in the "look" in their eyes tonight, the swagger, the aggression, the composure and the drive. I want to see a team that knows it can achieve every goal they set, they know they have to win every game from now through Vegas and they have been playing better already, SMC going the other way, its possible.

But they have to win tonight. . . .
      I want to see the aggression, composure, and drive. IMO they need to earn the 'swagger' that comes with being a conference champ, and this team is no conference champ....at least not yet. Overlook noone, run through everyone. BEAT SCU!
      A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.
      Steven Wright

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2012
      Foo Fantasy Football Last Place Champ 2013

Comment

• hooter73
        Zag for Life
        • Jun 2008

I really doubt the coaching staff wants the players to think big picture. You hear the 'one game at a time' in nearly every interview but that doesnt keep the drive and urgency fire going long term so you see the ebb and flow, up and down that we see every few games never know which team will come to play. Example: Carter had his huge game after watching the Decade of Excellence DVD.

Comment

• gamagin
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

just win out

that's all you can control and do at this point. Your destiny.
          Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
          Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
          Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• Nevtelen
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by hooter73 View Post
            I really doubt the coaching staff wants the players to think big picture.
            No question that's true. But come on - it's human nature. You have to think that the team's mentality, even if unconciously, has really shifted since SMC lost. Even if they wouldn't say so in an interview, they just can't help seeing that the door has been opened a crack and there's a clear path through it now.

Comment

• MickMick
              Zag for Life
              • Apr 2007

Lately, I really like the improvement of Carter, Dower, and Stockton.

For me, it is up to those three to maintain the level of play they have shown in the last 2-3 weeks. Of course Rob has to remain rock solid as well. If Steven can elevate his game a notch and stop turning over the ball, a share of the WCC crown and the tournament championship are very, very attainable.

Gravy: If Harris plays like he did against Pepperdine and all the fore mentioned conditions exist, I would go as far as to call it a lock.
              I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• DZ
                Zag for Life
                • Sep 2007

Great post Mick Mick; you locked on to the feeling I had when I started the thread.

The newbies had a great roadtrip last weekend. Sure, they won ugly, that is the way that this team has to win, diving, fighting, kicking, clawing - - and they beat two teams more convincingly than they did at home.

Onus is now on the upper-classmen, I am going to assume that Harris is going to commit to being above the rim the rest of the year (especially if Rob Jones is hurting). Rob will be a Rock. And though Steven might not go off for 30, we do know that he WILL knock down a big three in every game when it is most needed.

We have speculated before that the team might be "peaking" - but now is the time and wouldn't it be wonderful if they can get another 10-15% out of this machine and drive it through Vegas, get a 10/11 seed and be a pest. I can't think of a better group of guys for that to happen to.
                Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                Mark Twain.

Comment

• allnet59
                  Professional Zag Fan
                  • Dec 2009

Mick Mick. Well said and I totally agree with your observations. To add to your post I think Sam Dower is the hidden ingredient in the mix. Instant offense off the bench and not afraid to create his own shots. One game at a time and build up some momentum going into the tourne. Stay away from lost opportunities with sloppy turnovers.

Comment

• Papa K
                    Bulldog Fan
                    • Jan 2011

Keep the turnovers under double digits and keep up the defensive intensity.
                    Time for Rob, Steven, and Elias to step up as they have been there before, knowing what it's going to take. Let the game come to them instead of trying to do too much and I think we'll have a good chance of making this a successful year.

Comment

• Bulldog
                      Bleeds GU Blue
                      • Feb 2007

Talent is there, just need the heart from now on.
                      "The Tipping Point - How little things can make a big difference" Malcom Gladwell

When you're playing for the national championship, It's not a matter of life and death, it's more important than that.

Comment

Working...
                      X