PDA

View Full Version : Some NCAA stats for GU

Zag 77
02-15-2011, 03:31 PM
Robert Sacre is #142 in FT percentage at 81% (tied with Klay Thompson) showing his improvement since last year.

David Stockton at 92% FT percentage would be among the national leaders but does not have enough attempts (24-26).

Teamwise, GU is #19 in FG accuracy (.477)
#28 in FT percentage (.746) much better than last year.
(SMC is #18 at .753)
#25 in assists (15.7 per game)

Complete GU team and individual NCAA stats summary at
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1

pbriz
02-15-2011, 04:54 PM
Not to be a debbie downer but I think the most telling stat of the year is #260 in 3Pt FG Defense.

willandi
02-15-2011, 06:21 PM
Another Debbie Downer. I'm not sure if this is current, but prior to LMU we ranked 261 in free throw defense at .707. How bad is that. We should stop them from making so many free throws!!

LongIslandZagFan
02-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Not to be a debbie downer but not every moderately positive post needs to be replied with something the team sucks at.

Zag79
02-15-2011, 09:42 PM
funny how the offense isnt nearly as much at fault for this teams issues as some would like to believe. on par with almost every "good" zag team in the past, including last years. i would love to see this team get into march by any means, and win a game or two. mouths full of it... great thread.

Hoopaholic
02-16-2011, 05:35 AM
been saying that our offense is decent or better than in the past most of the year but the steady beat of the drum was that our offense stunk

However we have dropped in all offensive categories over the last 6 games and have had some serious "minutes without scoring" issues which has me concerned coming into this weekend.

Defense and rebounding has been difference in our losses most of the year.

VinnyZag
02-16-2011, 08:03 AM
Here's Gonzaga's updated efficiency margin for league games only, as compiled by John Gasaway at Basketball Prospectus (http://www.basketballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1474). These number track how many points each team scores per possession (PPP), how many points each team allows per possession (OPPP) and the margin between those numbers (EM).

1. Saint Mary's (10-1): 1.17 PPP, 1.00 OPPP, +0.17 EM
2. Gonzaga (7-3) 1.12 PPP, 0.98 OPPP, +0.14 EM

GU defended well in Southern Cal and is now the only WCC team holding opponents to fewer than 1 point per possession. Nobody else in the league is close to these two in efficiency margin: Portland is at +0.5, while Clara and USF are both at +0.2. I'd expect Clara and USF's totals to get worse this week.

Once and Future Zag
02-16-2011, 08:16 AM
been saying that our offense is decent or better than in the past most of the year but the steady beat of the drum was that our offense stunk

. . .

Defense and rebounding has been difference in our losses most of the year.

I think a lot of people confused "ugly" for "bad" in regards our offense - it may not be exceptional, but it's not bad by any means.

gozagswoohoo
02-16-2011, 08:31 AM
Not to be a Debbie downer, but a lot of stats are sometimes good and sometimes some stats are stats.

pbriz
02-16-2011, 09:19 AM
Another important stat this year is that my number of beers consumed post-game has to rank pretty high.

JPtheBeasta
02-16-2011, 09:20 AM
I like that assist stat. Few said the other day that all the PG has to do for this team is get the ball to the right spots at the right times. It is apparent that the offense relies on everyone to share the ball and create for others, and the numbers seem to support that. And I think our offense wouldn't look so ugly if we didn't have so many turnovers. Maybe some of us (and by that, I mean some of you :)) put too much pressure on David and Meech to create. We may have Peyton Manning coming in next year, but this year maybe all we need is Trent Dilfer.

gozagswoohoo
02-16-2011, 09:22 AM
Another important stat this year is that my number of beers consumed post-game has to rank pretty high.

Not to be a Debbie downer, but my # of beers consumed DURING game play has actually been higher than post game. I think this is why I cry less after a loss. I'm usually asleep.

Hoopaholic
02-16-2011, 09:29 AM
so last two weeks our pace is dropped in possessions and our points per possession have dropped

but the positive is our defense has solidified

But this was against the lower rungs of the WCC.....we cant have these downtrends occuring on offensive side against our opponents starting Thursday or it could be a long weekend if offense continues to falter

willandi
02-19-2011, 08:14 AM
Another Debbie Downer. I'm not sure if this is current, but prior to LMU we ranked 261 in free throw defense at .707. How bad is that. We should stop them from making so many free throws!!

The good news is that we have climbed to #236 while holding our opponents free throw % to .701. At least one area we are improving in statistically.

(This all has been said tongue in cheek, I am not a Debbie Downer so don't get your panties in a bunch, Debbie)