PDA

View Full Version : The grass roots campaign has begun

MickMick
06-10-2007, 11:31 AM
We seem preoccupied with out of conference schedules, pre season rankings, visits by elite recruits, and day dreaming about the potential of our incoming freshman.

Meanwhile, the relation building (http://p066.ezboard.com/Coaching-Clinic-with-Kerry-Keating/fscufanscomfrm7.showMessage?topicID=1024.topic) in Northern California has begun. This Keating is going to be a pain in our backsides.

sittingon50
06-10-2007, 12:23 PM
Slightly off topic, but it appears in the reference in the second post in that thread that Bronco player Brody Angley's dad passed away (he was diagnosed with cancer last year; attended SCU's upset in K2). Condolences.

MickMick
06-10-2007, 03:08 PM
Slightly off topic, but it appears in the reference in the second post in that thread that Bronco player Brody Angley's dad passed away (he was diagnosed with cancer last year; attended SCU's upset in K2). Condolences.

Sorry to hear that.

I am concerned over the SCU program because it reminds me of the Gonzaga program a decade ago. Now when Steve Nash retires and if he decides to regularly attend SCU home games and linger with the players, they will very much remind me of Gonzaga.

applezag
06-10-2007, 04:12 PM
I am sure Keating will bring some new ideas and wrinkles to SCU, but the real important part that he needs to improve to catch up with Gonzaga is recruiting. Dick Davey was an excellent coach, but could only do so much with the players he had. Steve Nash was a once in a generation player for a place like Santa Clara. If Keating brings in better players and keeps the level of game preparation and player development that Davey had, they will be tough. And if he can do that, it will be good for Gonzaga in the long run. We could use a better conference.

NJZag
06-10-2007, 08:02 PM
Meanwhile, the relation building (http://p066.ezboard.com/Coaching-Clinic-with-Kerry-Keating/fscufanscomfrm7.showMessage?topicID=1024.topic) in Northern California has begun. This Keating is going to be a pain in our backsides.

The unmitigated nerve of that man, recruiting in his own backyard!

:horse:

AppleZag wrote

Steve Nash was a once in a generation player for a place like Santa Clara.

A back-to-back NBA MVP would be once in a generation even for most Tobacco Road colleges.

No question that the Broncos' recruiting is going to step it up; but they might have to go far afield to find high caliber players. The problem for SCU is that high school hoops just isn't all that big around San Jose for some reason. It's nothing like the Oakland area. An article quoted the prior coaches last spring as saying that any player that's really good from around San Jose will join an AAU out of Oakland if he's wise.

Keating is probably going to be competing harder vs. GU for players from not only Northern Cal but from high schools in Oregon and Nevada. Even Washington.

MickMick
06-10-2007, 08:20 PM

Too Funny :lmao:

Northern Cal is Zag territory!! Isn't that where LG came from?

Nevtelen
06-10-2007, 08:35 PM

AppleZag wrote

A back-to-back NBA MVP would be once in a generation even for most Tobacco Road colleges.

No question that the Broncos' recruiting is going to step it up; but they might have to go far afield to find high caliber players. The problem for SCU is that high school hoops just isn't all that big around San Jose for some reason. It's nothing like the Oakland area. An article quoted the prior coaches last spring as saying that any player that's really good from around San Jose will join an AAU out of Oakland if he's wise.

Keating is probably going to be competing harder vs. GU for players from not only Northern Cal but from high schools in Oregon and Nevada. Even Washington.

I'm still not too worried about competing with Santa Clara for recruits. Now, the other WCC schools and Big West schools should be probably...

NJZag
06-11-2007, 08:24 AM
I'm still not too worried about competing with Santa Clara for recruits. Now, the other WCC schools and Big West schools should be probably...

I understand Keating was the key contact with Kevin Love, so the man probably has some powers of persuasion over and above having the lure of a revived UCLA under Howland to back him up.

It could get interesting.