PDA

View Full Version : Few's player rotation

Zagcity
02-13-2011, 12:16 PM
Last night game against Pepperdine was the first game in awhile IMO that I did'nt scratch my head with Few's player substitutions (when and who) albeit the understanding some players were sick. My only question would be where was Arop's minutes? Is he in Few's dog house? Some questioned my opinion that Hart would double his minutes this year, from an earlier thread. Now we may be looking at him tripling his minutes from last year.

MickMick
02-13-2011, 02:10 PM
I have no problems with Few's rotation.

If players aren't getting it done than there is always another waiting in the wings. When a whole slew of them aren't getting it done, then you have run out of players that can execute the game plan.

Winning solves everything. If the Zags were winning with 12 deep or 6 deep, Few would be regarded as brilliant. If he was losing with 12 deep or 6 deep, his rotation would be criticized.

For me, it is about the players executing regardless of who is in there or not.

Few also learned recently that players like Grant Gibbs and GJ Vilarino will exit when faced with little playing time. Not a question of whether those players earned it or not, but more of a question with the Zags facing a revolving door of transfers and new players every season.

Further, these young players need some game experience.

Don't put me on the "shorten the rotation" bandwagon. Few wouldn't be digging so deep if the top six were consistently getting it done. Looking at his track record, he played Bouldin for nearly 40 minutes a game last season. He would be doing the same this season if any players were playing at Bouldin's level.

Rob Sacre is a unique situation because of foul mitigation so he doesn't really apply to this argument.

Mantua
02-13-2011, 02:28 PM
I agree! Especially with giving the young ones a chance to develop.

I don't understand the term "foul mitigation.". Are you referring to the number of fouls Sacre draws? I need brain mitigation here.

MickMick
02-13-2011, 09:32 PM
I agree! Especially with giving the young ones a chance to develop.

I don't understand the term "foul mitigation.". Are you referring to the number of fouls Sacre draws? I need brain mitigation here.

Yes.

Center are typically a different animal when it comes to rotation. As the last line of defense near the rim, they can pick up fouls in a hurry. Opposing team devise game plans to put good centers into foul trouble. There is commonly more "real time" strategy involved with deciding to sit and play centers as opposed to other players.

Foul mitigation is just another term for "saving" a player for the end game. (ie. sitting a player so that he doesn't draw more fouls, telling him to ease up on the defensive end, changing up the defense to "protect" him, etc.)

Mantua
02-14-2011, 10:18 AM
Ooooh. Good explanation. I was trying to discern whether you were referring to fouls committed by Rob and fouls committed by the opponent. Rob has such success with having fouls committed against him and shoots FTs so well.

UberZagFan
02-14-2011, 10:18 AM
Few also learned recently that players like Grant Gibbs and GJ Vilarino will exit when faced with little playing time. Not a question of whether those players earned it or not, but more of a question with the Zags facing a revolving door of transfers and new players every season.

Not sure if this is your intent Mick, but the implication from this comment is that the coach is expanding the rotation to appease players so they don't seek playing time elsewhere. Regardless of whether you meant that, IF Few is doing that, then that is pure garbage. Coaches should be playing the best players who have earned the PT and give the team the best chance to win, not playing players so they don't leave one or two years down the road. FWIW, Uber doesn't think Few is playing 11-12 players a game so guys farther down the bench don't jump ship--it's more likely he just can't find the right rotation and/or the players aren't stepping up and aren't consistent so Few keeps juggling.

DixieZag
02-14-2011, 10:27 AM
Though the rotation this year has been non-sensical for us posters at times this year, I have faith that the rotation has nothing to do with appeasing players with PT. Few has demonstrated over his entire tenure that he has no qualms with sitting people that can't get it done or people that are, for whatever discinplinary reasons, are in the "dog house."

We have one star, his name is Robert Sacre. We thought we might have three in EH and Steven. Both EH and Steven have been so inconsistent that there has been desperation to find the right combo for that game. Add in our troubles at the guard spot and it makes for a mess in some games.

But that "mess" has been the sole reason that we have won some games. I can't think of a game that we would have won if we simply played the right guys at the right time - except for maybe USF and keeping Dower off the floor.

Mantua
02-14-2011, 10:31 AM
Having so many underclassmen playing plus needing to use them to fill the gaps, Few has no choice but to give many of them PT. He can't afford to get backed into a position,(due to foul trouble and injury), of subbing in a "deer caught in the headlights" bench.

gamagin
02-14-2011, 10:34 AM
Not sure if this is your intent Mick, but the implication from this comment is that the coach is expanding the rotation to appease players so they don't seek playing time elsewhere. Regardless of whether you meant that, IF Few is doing that, then that is pure garbage. Coaches should be playing the best players who have earned the PT and give the team the best chance to win, not playing players so they don't leave one or two years down the road. FWIW, Uber doesn't think Few is playing 11-12 players a game so guys farther down the bench don't jump ship--it's more likely he just can't find the right rotation and/or the players aren't stepping up and aren't consistent so Few keeps juggling.

that's what Few says about this situation, at any rate.

MickMick
02-14-2011, 04:28 PM
Though the rotation this year has been non-sensical for us posters at times this year, I have faith that the rotation has nothing to do with appeasing players with PT. Few has demonstrated over his entire tenure that he has no qualms with sitting people that can't get it done or people that are, for whatever discinplinary reasons, are in the "dog house."

We have one star, his name is Robert Sacre. We thought we might have three in EH and Steven. Both EH and Steven have been so inconsistent that there has been desperation to find the right combo for that game. Add in our troubles at the guard spot and it makes for a mess in some games.

But that "mess" has been the sole reason that we have won some games. I can't think of a game that we would have won if we simply played the right guys at the right time - except for maybe USF and keeping Dower off the floor.

As I wrote earlier, the biggest reason for the big rotation is that the top 6 aren't getting it done. If they were, the rotation would definately be tightned up.

MickMick
02-14-2011, 04:31 PM

You zoomed in on one aspect. If you were a reporter, I would call it "quoting out of context".

The primary reason?

The top 6 aren't getting it done. If they were, Few would play them like he played Bouldin and Gray last season.

I also believe that appeasing promising young players is definately a factor.

Not the primary reason.

Once and Future Zag
02-14-2011, 06:56 PM
Last night game against Pepperdine was the first game in awhile IMO that I did'nt scratch my head with Few's player substitutions (when and who) albeit the understanding some players were sick. My only question would be where was Arop's minutes? Is he in Few's dog house?.

Arop was sick as well.