PDA

View Full Version : So what is it that YOU want to see?

hooter73
02-11-2011, 10:29 AM
We have pointed out the specific deficiencies of the individual players and of Coach Few for a while now and possibly rightly so but a few threads lately have brought up names of past players and that started me to thinking about what I'd like to see in general from any GU team regardless of the current or incoming players.

1) Goal is to win WCC, anything after that is gravy and should not be over analyzed.
2) Good 'heady' play - mid to high level team BBall IQ, low turn overs from dumb mistakes
3) Adequate defense - utilize traps and pressure like teams of old
4) Strong offense - Run set plays from out of bounds possessions like we used to be so good at; just put up the numbers for 80 ppg
5) Killer instinct: Foot to the floor petal to the metal all the time, finish games, play to their own level not the opponents level

There's my recipe for a foundation, whats yours?

jim77
02-11-2011, 10:54 AM
Just because you're allowed to pass doesn't mean you should. We forced way to many risky passes....we darn near blew that game.

Zagregious
02-11-2011, 11:23 AM
When you're on a run, ride the horse until it dies.

Don't put the brakes on with a line change.

This ain't hockey.

zagfan07
02-11-2011, 01:25 PM
One of the things Bouldin was really good at was setting up the defense on the back cut. It created alot of layups last year and forced defenses to be honest.

I don't remember the last time I saw one of those, but I would sure like to see some as we move towards the final stretch of conference play. Not only does it create easy baskets, but it keeps defenders from playing up on guys like Steven, Elias and Manny and disrupting the flow of our offense.

adoptedzag
02-11-2011, 02:28 PM
We don't see back cuts cause we can't make the pass. Heck, we can't even make post entry passes reliably.

Once we get a passer who can feed the post reliably, then we'll see more back cuts.

TacomaZAG
02-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Matt B was really good at was the feeding the post PROPERLY. It's not just getting the ball into the post, it's all about getting it to the post players in the proper spot so they can do something with it. Passing the ball to Rob when he is not in a position to score (turn and shoot) doesn't help anything. Also, there are times where EH gets the ball in good position to score and, guess what...........he scores. There are also lots of times EH gets it when he is too far from the hoop, in a bad place for him, etc. That leads to TO's and forced shots.

A great example of how it's supposed to be done is the way DS and Sam Dower work together. Dower sets up where he can do something with the rock, and David delivers it to him in the right place, at the right time. Then Dower catches it and immediately makes his move to shoot.

The bigs get tired and frustrated when they work hard for position and then don't get the entry pass. I can't count how many times EH has been set up in the low block and nobody will give him the ball where he can do something with it.

I want to see more (a lot more) effective entry passes to the post.

Go ZAGS

Bulldog
02-11-2011, 05:57 PM
Dower is 4 for 4 and the offense is clicking. He picks up 3 fouls, taken out of the game and never returns. Insert question mark here??????

tinfoilzag
02-11-2011, 07:47 PM
Shooting quickly with confidence when presented with an open 3.

VinnyZag
02-11-2011, 09:10 PM
There's my recipe for a foundation, whats yours?

The role players, notably the sophomores, need to actually play on the offensive end instead of just hoping Steven and Sacre will bail them out, which is what happened against Memphis.

That and defensive intensity 100 percent of the time. No lapses.

GrizZAG
02-12-2011, 05:16 AM
Matt B was really good at was the feeding the post PROPERLY. It's not just getting the ball into the post, it's all about getting it to the post players in the proper spot so they can do something with it. Passing the ball to Rob when he is not in a position to score (turn and shoot) doesn't help anything. Also, there are times where EH gets the ball in good position to score and, guess what...........he scores. There are also lots of times EH gets it when he is too far from the hoop, in a bad place for him, etc. That leads to TO's and forced shots.

A great example of how it's supposed to be done is the way DS and Sam Dower work together. Dower sets up where he can do something with the rock, and David delivers it to him in the right place, at the right time. Then Dower catches it and immediately makes his move to shoot.

The bigs get tired and frustrated when they work hard for position and then don't get the entry pass. I can't count how many times EH has been set up in the low block and nobody will give him the ball where he can do something with it.

I want to see more (a lot more) effective entry passes to the post.

Go ZAGS

PERFECT! On the money TZ