PDA

View Full Version : Who the heck is gonna score the ball??

bigparb
02-10-2011, 08:55 PM
This team can't get anything easy in the half-court on a consistent basis.....SD is our most natural scorer.....why has he been on the bench sooooo dang long?

Let's see.....we can't score......nah...sam don't need to play......

It's been said over and over again on this board....Few has done a terrible job this year managing the rotation.....

this is hard to watch....

bigparb
02-10-2011, 08:58 PM
oh yeah...lets put carter, stockton, hart on the perimeter.....

I've seen this train wreck before..

bigparb
02-10-2011, 09:03 PM
4 guys who don't want the ball down the stretch, standing around watching gray try to score....

terrible offense

NEC26
02-10-2011, 09:09 PM
oh yeah...lets put carter, stockton, hart on the perimeter.....

I've seen this train wreck before..

Hmm that train wreck sealed the deal down the stretch.

bigparb
02-10-2011, 09:10 PM
for all of Sacre's offensive progress this year, the guy just doesn't want the ball in his hands down the stretch because he knows he's not a fluid enough offensive player to make it happen in the clutch.....that was obvious against SMC and now its starting to show up against scrub teams like LMU.....

bigparb
02-10-2011, 09:13 PM
mods delete this post....

clearly I've lost my dang mind....

bigparb
02-10-2011, 09:14 PM

ok...u be happy with that pathetic offensive display....sure it was a win...but LMU is horrible.....

northsidezagfan
02-10-2011, 09:21 PM

The offense was horrific free throws saved us down the stretch

NotoriousZ
02-10-2011, 10:00 PM
Was Dower hurt? There had to be a reason he didn't play in the second half...one would think.

CDC84
02-10-2011, 10:12 PM
I know Dower got burned on defense a couple of times. It continues to be an issue with him. As soon as gets going on offense, he makes back to back boneheaded decisions on D. Few has little patience for it, although it amazes me at times how much he tolerates it with his upperclassmen. So if Steven fouls a 3 point shooter for the 151st time this season, he's allowed to stay in while Sam has to sit.

The players sitting around and watching Steven Gray do his thing is like a child trying to place a round peg in a square hole. They are expecting him to do something he is simply not capable of doing. It needs to be a team effort. Steven is just one of the better offensive options. He isn't Dickau or Morrison.

roxdoc
02-10-2011, 10:20 PM
I whiled away the ugly game by just keeping track as follows:

Cumulative minutes Points Scored

6.55 7
9.00 8
10:00 11
11:00 13
12:00 13
14:00 15
15:00 15
17:00 20

At least our offensive juggernaut is consistent.

Baldwinzag
02-11-2011, 04:21 AM
I know Dower got burned on defense a couple of times. It continues to be an issue with him. As soon as gets going on offense, he makes back to back boneheaded decisions on D.

Few has little patience for it, although it amazes me at times how much he tolerates it with his upperclassmen. So if Steven fouls a 3 point shooter for the 151st time this season, he's allowed to stay in while Sam has to sit.

Speaking of which, I couldn't help but notice an interesting viewpoint offered by an opposing fan(on another board) discussing this very topic. While the post is not entirely accurate, it presents a somewhat unbias opinion by an opposing observer:

When asked the question "What's wrong with Gonzaga?", the SMC poster states...

2 primary things imo;

1. Coach Few's reluctance to award more playing time and/or offensive focus to younger talent i.e. Sam Dower, Mangisto Arope, etc. He talks about exercising a 'short leash' with freshman/sophs who make one mistake, yet allows players such Elias Harris and Goodson to stink up the court with zero execution, turnovers, and consistent mistakes. Due to this tradition, their offensive rotations make no sense whatsoever. (Could you imagine if Sam Dower would have been allowed more mins down the stretch vs us? Or if Mangisto Arope would have played defense on MM a bit more?) I'm thankful for Coach Few's in-game adjustments and decisions with abundant talent.

2. Most people will point to the lack of production at PG this season; while I agree with this assessment, I feel it leans more to the BIG question mark at the "3" position. The 3 or SF has traditionally been a strong, scoring, productive position for Gonzaga. Think Steven Gray (last year), Adam Morrison, Matt Bouldin (soph year @3), et al. Before the season began, GU had hopes of shifting Elias Harris to SF and planned/practicied accordingly. This back-fired due to injury, Elias' horrendous defense, his lack of development, etc. Also, Kelly Olynyk at 7' was supposed to man the "4" position yet has been slow to react to this position and seems confused by aggressive play. Mangisto Arope has shown flashes, but Coach Few just simply doesn't like him for some reason. In all honesty, he looks like their best player in many games, only to be pulled out of the lineup the next. If mis-management ever applied to sports, Coach Few has done this w/ Mangisto, who has the best tools on their entire roster (save Sacre). Monninghoff played the "3" vs us by default and is supposed to be a shooter, which is fine, but hasn't shown much ability to rebound, score inside the perimeter, or provide much-needed toughness at that Forward position.

Coach Few has elected to go with his 'Flavor-of-the-Week' as it relates to their "3" position. I feel this has hurt their flow and stat sheet more than PG. They have no answers on defense, offense, and being able to consistently practice effective plays with Harris to start the season, then Monninghoff, then Arope, etc. Sure, PG isn't the best, but not the reason they are losing games -- just look at the games where Meech or Stockton have had their best scoring games --- they are still losing, folks. In those same game (i.e. San Francison recently) they had little to no production from Elias, Mangisto, Monninghoff who all shuffle at SF.

Just a quick thought.