PDA

View Full Version : Utah State's costumed crusader

U Zig, I Zag
02-10-2011, 01:04 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/seth_davis/02/10/utah.state/index.html?eref=sihp

Interesting read. Few GU references including:

Their senior class is on the verge of winning its fourth consecutive WAC title. The team has won at least 23 games in each of the last 11 seasons. (Gonzaga and Kansas are the only other programs that can say that.)

So, another trend that stops this year?

FieldHouseFishHouse
02-10-2011, 01:29 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/seth_davis/02/10/utah.state/index.html?eref=sihp

Interesting read. Few GU references including:

So, another trend that stops this year?

Right Now: 14-9 (15-9 if you count Lewis and Clark)
WCC Games: 6
OOC Games: 1
WCC Tourney: 2-3
NCAA/NIT Tourney: 0-6

21 wins if we win out the regular season
23 wins if we win out and win the WCC tourney
23 wins if we lose one in conference, then win 3 in the WCC tourney

From my count, they could get to 23 wins BEFORE the post-season tournaments start....not too bad.

I think the Zags hit 23 wins this year regardless. If they get to the NCAA Tournament, they will have hit 23 wins already.
If they end up in the NIT, they are capable of making a deep run.

sittingon50
02-10-2011, 01:30 PM
It's gonna be real tough.

CDC84
02-10-2011, 01:32 PM
They once had Wild Bill in the studio on ESPNU. If you ever get a chance to see a Utah State home game, it's worth it just to see this guy do his thing behind the basket. I remember one TV analyst who said that he couldn't understand how foul shooters could keep their composure. He's very distracting.

Birddog
02-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Hmmmm, I wonder if his mother is proud.

Angelo Roncalli
02-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Our kid in the penguin suit at the Memphis game was competitive.

And another thing. Everyone seems in awe of Utah State's "winning team, losing team" coordinated cheer. It ain't exactly new stuff. I remember Shadle Park HS doing back in the early 70's and it being done at GU games in the mid-70's. USU gets an A for participation and effort, but a C- on creativity. I guess everything old is new again.

CDC84
02-10-2011, 03:00 PM
BTW - Stew ends up in this mess year after year with his Utah State teams because he won't play any BCS team unless it's a home and home. A few teams like Georgetown have agreed to home and home deals, but as you can imagine, he doesn't get many takers. I admire his willingless to take a stand, but it kind of comes at the expense of his players and their collective dream of playing in the NCAA tournament. By taking that stand it puts his team at risk. They basically have to win the WAC Tourney to get in.

Pargo the Destroyer
02-10-2011, 10:54 PM

And another thing. Everyone seems in awe of Utah State's "winning team, losing team" coordinated cheer. It ain't exactly new stuff. I remember Shadle Park HS doing back in the early 70's and it being done at GU games in the mid-70's. USU gets an A for participation and effort, but a C- on creativity. I guess everything old is new again.

So what grade do you give the Kennel Club who has implemented not 1 but 2 Cheers almost identical to Utah State's cheers?

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-11-2011, 05:11 AM

I don't think it matters how creative the cheers are. The enthusiasm of the crowd is far more important. If you only know three cheers, but you never let up on the volume, that is good enough.